Sponsored by: Road Spy

Updated Radio with Alpine - Install and Impression

Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Updated Radio with Alpine - Install and Impression

Alpine INE –W927 Radio and Backup Camera Review and Install

After much deliberation as to how much $$ I wanted to put into improving the audio in my 07 TT, and with much help from this forum, I decided the cleanest way was to start with a new head unit. My issues with adding the Sat module or a Denison unit was that I wanted everything – BT, Sat, better radio, better Nav etc. I have had other vehicles in which I gutted the audio system and went high end – my experience has been mixed on those professionally installed projects from a cost/benefit standpoint. With that in mind I went down this route

So- My setup was purchased from Shane at Delray audio, and came with the Alpine HU, Most- HUR module, PAC video bypass module, Alpine HCE115 backup camera, Alpine license plate, wiring harness and bezel. Shane via email and others lent advice when I got stuck; Much appreciated!
What I learned from this project: (In no particular order)
1)Lay out all the wiring and make most of the connections prior to getting to the car
2) Make sure all connections are soldered , using the heat shrink solder tubes ( supplied) works well, videos on You tube as to how to do properly. Need a heat gun that is around 500 degrees, got mine for 20 dollars off Amazon.
3) Alternator whine – Problem - one of the 4 RCA connections from the Alpine HU to the Most HUR was loose, need to really tape these together well.
4) Backup camera is relatively easy to pass from cabin to rear bumper. I ran the wire inside the cabin just under the lip of the center console, to the rear speaker panel. You need to remove the passenger side rear speaker panel, and trim beyond that to get to a grommet that goes into the engine compartment. Then you just remove the passenger side rear tail light; feed the camera wire into the bumper through this space and to the 3 inch hole that is already behind your rear license plate in the bumper.
5) Removal of PCM has been outlined elsewhere and is easy to do.
6) Need to separate the Sirius antenna and the Navigation antenna by at least 1-2 feet. Initially I installed both within a few inches of each other behind the battery under the wiper fascia. Experienced a lot of Sat radio “dropouts”, call to Alpine tech support confirmed that this was the problem. Now about 2 feet apart, no issues.
7) There is a nice rubber grommet behind the battery to get into the cabin on the driver’s side- very easy access.
8) Set the fader before you pull the PCM, on suggestion of someone here on the forum I set the fader to R4, seems to be balanced ok with the new HU.

What do I like about this setup
1) The HD radio stations are very clear, CD quality. Sat radio – about the same
2) Hands free – works well; I put the microphone at the corner of the windshield on the driver’s side. I can hear/be heard reasonably well.
3) Backup camera comes on when I shift into reverse ( 6 speed) , decent wide angle view with this camera
4) BT audio also sounds CD in quality, very easy to stream either I tunes or Rhapsody and navigate on the HU touch screen
5) Have not tried the USB audio, or ipod video. Did not integrate with steering wheel controls as I don’t have this on my wheel6) Nav works very well, maps are intuitive. Comes with lifetime traffic info, which I was unaware of. Instructions are given by voice as well
Negatives so far:
1) Unit does not lower/raise volume in response to ambient noise
2) It’s a touch screen , so you have to take your eyes off the road on occasion to use; although I have been using the few buttons available just as easily for some functions
3)There is a boat load of wires you need to hide behind the unit, and the radio has a fan, so you don’t want to block . I put the Most box and some of the wires between the steering wheel and the radio with Velcro, there is a fair amount of room to do this
4) You don’t get radio info on the instrument panel, I just replaced this display with the “miles to empty” info so I don’t see “--------“ Otherwise I have found no issue with not having PCM
5) The manual for the nav and radio is almost 200 pages long ! You can get through most of the setup without it, as it is reasonably intuitive

Final verdict: Relatively expensive but worth it; Audio is much cleaner and as good as you are going to get unless you replace speakers/add amps which is another 3K or so in parts/labor. Much improved functionality over PCM. Updates the entire look and appears factory with bezel. And the old PCM can pop back in without any problem if need be
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You might want to post this in the 997 Turbo forum,this is the 991 Turbo forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updated Radio with Alpine - Install and Impression