Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   MT For The Turbo in the Future? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/755537-mt-for-the-turbo-in-the-future.html)

PMAA 05-09-2013 01:21 PM

MT For The Turbo in the Future?

Is there any chance that Porsche will be building the Turbo model with a manual transmission as an option sometime in the future? I love driving my MT, The new 991 Turbo looks great...but I just can't get past the PDK. Trying to be more positive is there anyone out there that has switched from a MT to a PDK and now loves the PDK?

phillipj 05-09-2013 02:46 PM

I'm afraid that Porsche wiill not offer a manual anymore on the TT, GT3 and other cars.. They wiill offfer it on lower models such as the Cayman.

Porsche has to compete with the GTR, Ferrari etc in the magazines and they will never match the other cars performance with a manual tranny.. I'm afraid paddle shifting is here to stay.. Although I would like a manual as well I'm not hating the idea of paddle shifting.

I have been driving a lot of paddle shift cars lately and I'm growing quite fond of it.

In 10 years can you imagine trying to explain to a young person what a manual tranny is? Or why you would want one in the first place?

Also it seems that they have dramatically improved the PDK in the 991 GT3 and i would imagine the turbo as well..

tcsracing1 06-15-2013 11:04 AM

cant see it....

however the new PDK is great! Shifts sound great!

Rennteam 07-11-2013 09:18 PM

No manual. Never.

sonny1 08-17-2013 11:20 PM

They might,as some sort of special edition, but lets get realistic Porsche is no longer viewed as a sport car maker on the majority of their actual consumers, they are viewed more as a GT car, people want a car easier to drive fast,with the a/c on and the music loud, that's it, to hell with the nice sounds,hard ride of race car feeling, leave that to the race drivers,transition time folks, and we are seeing before our eyes for good or bad, time will tell. Long live this last 50 years!, cheers.
sonny1.:cheers:

Carlo_Carrera 08-19-2013 09:03 PM

I agree with the others. No MT ever.

I drove a new Cayman with the PDK and it was pretty sweet. You might grow to like a PDK.

Sonnen Porsche 08-20-2013 02:37 PM

No manuals at all in Porsche's future...get them while you can..... :icon107:

ScorpionT 08-23-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 10697076)
I agree with the others. No MT ever.

I drove a new Cayman with the PDK and it was pretty sweet. You might grow to like a PDK.

Like a manual, the PDK isnt for everyone. Ive driven many cars with the autoboxes and they are numb and boring, particularly in Porsches.

ajag 08-23-2013 03:40 PM

MT in a turbo car is even more of a penalty to performance than in NA, due to PDK maintaining boost levels w/ shifts.

darth g-f 08-26-2013 10:15 AM

Will we see a carburator, or air-cooled 911 in the future? of course not.

The manual tranny is dead. Ferrari stopped making them, and Lamborghini, and McLaren, and even the F2000 race car I drove for a season didn't have a MT no more.

The car makers are all slowy but surely going with auto/DSG tanny. There's no way back. The obvious reason is cost. It costs much less to build one transmission for everybody (DSG) rather than making two (auto/mt).

Also, by having a DSG box, companies can program them to get better fuel efficiency ratings. They also perform better in acceleration tests. They can also program launch control into them making the acceleration numbers lower, more consistent and easily achievable.

I predict the holy grail of all 911tt in a few years will be the 997.1 with Metzger engine and a manual transmission. It might even be labelled as the last real 911tt... I can't wait to see in 10-20 years if I'm right. ;)

*Edit to add: I didn't realize the 997.2 GT3 still used the Metzger engine. So the holy grail of GT3 in the future might be the 997.2 GT3.

dombeau 08-30-2013 08:11 PM

That is the reason why I stick with my 993tt. But can't wait to go for a 991tt ride!!!

kosmo 08-31-2013 01:47 PM

"Never" and "paddles are here to stay" what utter BS.

Paddles will go away when the computer starts driving itself.

Noah Fect 09-14-2013 05:10 AM

If you're bored by a 911 Turbo with PDK, you need to see a doctor, not a car dealer.