Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/753985-991-turbo.html)

ILLCOMM 04-30-2013 04:39 PM

991 Turbo

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futur...sche-911-turbo

PDK only, but wider (even than 4S), active aero, and 0-60 in 3 flat. May achieve CGT's Nürburgring time. Wow.

wanna911 04-30-2013 05:15 PM

Under 7:30 huh? I will bet anything Porsche is still bending over backwards to make sure it's slower than the GT3 again. While the competition continues to put large margins on both of them. Starting to wonder what these guys are are smoking over there.......

i hope their profit margins come to a screeching halt at the hands of GM,SRT,Nissan and why we are at it, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo since that's who they want to be now. Maybe that will force them to start from scratch and think about building the best cars and not milking their customers and using racing gimmicks to sell cars.

F1CrazyDriver 04-30-2013 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by wanna911 (Post 10426536)
Under 7:30 huh? I will bet anything Porsche is still bending over backwards to make sure it's slower than the GT3 again. While the competition continues to put large margins on both of them. Starting to wonder what these guys are are smoking over there.......

i hope their profit margins come to a screeching halt at the hands of GM,SRT,Nissan and why we are at it, Audi, Ferrari, Lambo since that's who they want to be now. Maybe that will force them to start from scratch and think about building the best cars and not milking their customers and using racing gimmicks to sell cars.

If they made it lighter ( which they can from the factory) ,same coilovers as a gt3, sticky tires, and lsd = faster then a 991 GT3 no questions asked. To bad the car does not look good thus far to my eye...

tcsracing1 04-30-2013 07:31 PM

vw turbo

So there will be 3 tubs?
Carrera
Carrera 4 (same as GT3 and Cup)
Turbo

The new turbo appears to have what turbo owners want. Not cheap, but then again it never was.

I suspect the RS will share the tub with the turbo........

Yargk 04-30-2013 07:44 PM

Even if the lap time is the same as the GT3, that will be on different tires since the TT won't come with R-comps. On the same tires, the TT should be faster.

In the videos the new TT sure does look fun and lively. Lighter and RWD is more my thing, but still...

allans 04-30-2013 10:24 PM

As fast as that car is with all the nannies and turbo charging it and the GT3 are not even close to the stock 3 year old ACR which chugged out an 7:12!!! The new SRT will be even quicker. Allan

Ps, Still 6 speed. Ha! :)

skxf430 05-01-2013 12:13 AM

And, still sounds like a hoover vacuum cleaner. :D

Damage 05-01-2013 02:21 AM

At this point if a 911 is going to be a video game car that's all computer driven then a GTR would be a better choice.

Yargk 05-01-2013 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Damage (Post 10427736)
At this point if a 911 is going to be a video game car that's all computer driven then a GTR would be a better choice.

That's a false dichotomy. Just because you have some computer help doesn't mean to have to go all GTR. Nor does it mean that a slightly lighter gizmo car would not still feel better than a heavy gizmo car. But I agree, not my taste. Anything that heavy is going to eat brakes and tires.

wanna911 05-01-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver (Post 10426676)
If they made it lighter ( which they can from the factory) ,same coilovers as a gt3, sticky tires, and lsd = faster then a 991 GT3 no questions asked. To bad the car does not look good thus far to my eye...

They could have been doing that for many years now, but it does not leave a market for the GT2 if the Turbo is already faster. They have to be able to convince people there is a reason to buy a GT2 and they assume that Turbo owners are not really interested in handling performance, which for the most part is true.

To sell as many different 911's as possible the Turbo must stay slower than the GT3 from their standpoint or it will steal sales from the GT2 for sure and probably the GT3.

But I agree, the 991 Turbo is a complete miss in the looks department. I also agree, at this point, might as well buy a GT-R than the 991 GT series.

jumper5836 05-01-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by wanna911 (Post 10426536)

On paper it will be slower, but once a 991 Turbo installs the same tire compound as a GT3 on I don't believe that will be the case.

F1CrazyDriver 05-01-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by skxf430 (Post 10427554)
And, still sounds like a hoover vacuum cleaner. :D

Not with a well design X pipe. The car can sound fantastic .

Originally Posted by jumper5836 (Post 10428077)
On paper it will be slower, but once a 991 Turbo installs the same tire compound as a GT3 on I don't believe that will be the case.

I agree with you and Dez. Right tires/ suspension turbo is faster then a gt3 and. Dez also made the correct assessment of leaving room in the table for Porsche to milk more money for making a "gt2"

McLaren Mp4-12c is looking better and better every day...

CRex 05-01-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 10426833)
So there will be 3 tubs?
Carrera
Carrera 4 (same as GT3 and Cup)
Turbo

I suspect the RS will share the tub with the turbo........

As of the 997 generation (and I suspect the same is true with the 991) there's always been only 1 "tub". The wide format (C4x, TTs, RS) is created by wider rear quarter panels affixed to the same tub. If you've seen these things torn down to the bone you'll see what I mean--they really are the same car, but they're not :rolleyes:

And I'd like to agree with you on the RS sharing this "extra-wide" format with the TT... which potentially means more fun with the Cup in 2014... Mezger goes out, DFI in, even wider body...

pissedpuppy 05-02-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Damage (Post 10427736)

except for the 4K+ lbs

Targa Tim 05-02-2013 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver (Post 10426676)
If they made it lighter ( which they can from the factory) ,same coilovers as a gt3, sticky tires, and lsd = faster then a 991 GT3 no questions asked.

Then what is the purpose of even offering the GT3? :confused: