Sponsored by: Road Spy

Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by armanslr
Congrats on your purchase! And sorry to hear about your issues, glad you got the CPO which should take care of the repairs in the end.

Regarding this car, I have seen it listed for quite some time. When I was looking prior it was $174,999 so I know they have dropped it considerably but like you mentioned I think they are in the car too high. I told the SA that I would only purchase the car if it included the CPO and they covered all costs to bring it up to CPO. They agreed to add CPO if the costs to bring it to standard are not significant, and will let me know tomorrow. Honestly, it looks like they purchased the car and gave it a quick detail and rushed it for sale. I'm not sure why they did not CPO the car prior to listing it. I was thinking if they give me the CPO at the 168k price, it would be a fair price, but do you think I can shoot for the CPO and get a discount? From talking to them it seemed like they didn't have that much room to do the CPO & discount.

Also, did you get to drive the car? And did you notice the front bumper looking like it had prior paint?
i did not drive the car. I knew the yellow accents weren’t for me and I wanted ventilated seats as well. So I didn’t get close to being interested in it. For my car, it came with cpo time on the clock so they didn’t technically cpo it. That said, I’m glad that the car has the warranty. I would not buy without it. Also, just a FYI on the finance guy there Allan. He gave me full court pressure to buy every imaginable add on for the car. I declined all of them. It got so bad I almost stood up and walked out. And the next day he called to try and get me to buy some stuff. I don’t like that. I was ready to do a cash deal, but they asked me to finance so they could get a bit of money from the back end. They said if I made 3 payments then they would get paid and that gave me a better cash price. I agreed and will stick to my word but I don’t feel happy that a car of this magnitude has a problem just off the lot. I guess I will be calling them tomorrow.

Finally, they are owned by galpin Ford which is neither here nor there but from living in Los Angeles my whole life, their prices are fairly high in general. I certainly wouldn’t feel bad about them losing any money off your deal. I figure unless you have to have this blue, I would get the cpo and car at $160 and walk away if they say no. I had the added benefit of having another car that was significantly cheaper than theirs I was interested in buying and they knew that if I walked out I would be driving that car instead of the one I bought. Car market is strong but the turbo s market is not the gt3t or gt3rs market and there are deals to be had. Life is short. Get the car you want at the price you are willing to pay. And drive it with no regrets.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:53 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
i did not drive the car. I knew the yellow accents weren’t for me and I wanted ventilated seats as well. So I didn’t get close to being interested in it. For my car, it came with cpo time on the clock so they didn’t technically cpo it. That said, I’m glad that the car has the warranty. I would not buy without it. Also, just a FYI on the finance guy there Allan. He gave me full court pressure to buy every imaginable add on for the car. I declined all of them. It got so bad I almost stood up and walked out. And the next day he called to try and get me to buy some stuff. I don’t like that. I was ready to do a cash deal, but they asked me to finance so they could get a bit of money from the back end. They said if I made 3 payments then they would get paid and that gave me a better cash price. I agreed and will stick to my word but I don’t feel happy that a car of this magnitude has a problem just off the lot. I guess I will be calling them tomorrow.

Finally, they are owned by galpin Ford which is neither here nor there but from living in Los Angeles my whole life, their prices are fairly high in general. I certainly wouldn’t feel bad about them losing any money off your deal. I figure unless you have to have this blue, I would get the cpo and car at $160 and walk away if they say no. I had the added benefit of having another car that was significantly cheaper than theirs I was interested in buying and they knew that if I walked out I would be driving that car instead of the one I bought. Car market is strong but the turbo s market is not the gt3t or gt3rs market and there are deals to be had. Life is short. Get the car you want at the price you are willing to pay. And drive it with no regrets.
I got the same vibe from the staff I interacted with, so I'm sure they are going to press hard for back end products. The spec is pretty near to how I would spec one new, so if I can get the CPO with all costs included, I'll work on the price and try to get it done. In the grand scheme of things I prefer paying a little more for the color I want and enjoying the car more. Really appreciate all the input guys, hopefully will have some good news tomorrow re the cpo.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:30 PM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds to me like you really really want this vehicle and need confirmation to make it happen, as opposed to a purchase advise, make sense?

There are several factors to be considered i.e. color, # of owners, visible issues, PPI issues, history of vehicle & mods, CPO, duration at dealership, location, miles, emotional attachment, future selling point e.t.c. Most of which have been discussed above.

I'm not gonna write a ton cuz I'm not a writer but consider this, if you were selling your car 3-5 years from now, which car would sell quicker, without any headache and retain more value? Something about a 4 owner TTS with under 13K miles doesn't sit well with me but idk the history of the vehicle. Have someone look at the one in NH. Something else to consider is having to wait. I don't want you getting a car you'd regret after purchase. Check out the other thread "I wonder why it hasn't sold"

I bought my car, sight unseen, 1 owner, CPO with 22K miles & newly installed PPF (cuz it matters), lease returned 2 days before I called and it was delivered in perfect condition.

This is too much typing. Good luck and let us know your decision.

Last edited by Emeka; 03-07-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 571 Posts

Based on the last few posts with experience with this dealer, I would run as fast as Forest.......
Old 03-07-2021, 04:58 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Makes sense completely. I think you guys are right. As much as I want the car and the color combo I should walk.

4 Owners on a 12,500 mile 4 year old car is a lot and I also don't like how not one of the owners put PPF on the vehicle, not even on the nose. The one at NH, as much as I love the 1 Owner part I feel like $170k for a TTS with 30K miles is too many miles and they seemed adamant that were not going to work on the price since it just came in, but perhaps I should look into that one more.

Just texted the dealer and told him I'm not interested, thanks everyone for the input. Going to explore the one at NH and see but unless they work on the price I doubt I'd purchase that one.

Last edited by armanslr; 03-07-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Wouldn't a 2018 TTS still.be under factory warranty? Also not sure why they wouldn't CPO an 18 with 12.5k miles on it. sorry I am lost.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cnair
Wouldn't a 2018 TTS still.be under factory warranty? Also not sure why they wouldn't CPO an 18 with 12.5k miles on it. sorry I am lost.
Production date was July 2017 so factory warranty would expire in 4 months, the non cpo was strange. Honestly, the condition on the car looked much more used than 12.5K miles so perhaps it needs some work to get it to standard but I can't see someone buying that car from a Porsche dealer without CPO.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 06:06 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 777 Posts

Makes sense completely. I think you guys are right. As much as I want the car and the color combo I should walk.
You already know how I feel about just walking away.

It's tough when it's a rare color you want but peace of mind is priceless...
Old 03-07-2021, 06:35 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by .2PDK

I know I know, I love the car but my 2015 Panamera is in better condition with 3x the miles, so I just can't settle at that price point. Good thing my fiancé is now on board for a 992 Turbo S if we can get an allocation
Old 03-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Emeka
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

4 Owners on a 12,500 mile 4 year old car is a lot and I also don't like how not one of the owners put PPF on the vehicle, not even on the nose. The one at NH, as much as I love the 1 Owner part I feel like $170k for a TTS with 30K miles is too many miles and they seemed adamant that were not going to work on the price since it just came in, but perhaps I should look into that one more.

Just texted the dealer and told him I'm not interested, thanks everyone for the input. Going to explore the one at NH and see but unless they work on the price I doubt I'd purchase that one.
The questions you have now are the same someone else, or another dealer, will have when it's time to sell and I know I've mentioned sell a few times. Re- sprayed front bumper and <50% on the ceramics at 12K miles alone is enough for me to walk like .2PDK suggested. While there are sometimes several owners on low ish mileage super/ hyper/ exotic vehicles, there's also that peace of mind. However if they come back offering CPO and took the price down some, you might have a deal.

Originally Posted by Cnair
I was wondering that as well. For the vehicle to not be CPO, that says something, even for the dealer. I have a 17 model and it came CPO until 23. I even bought an exhaust and tune that's just sitting in my garage begging me to install but I choose to wait until 22 at the least.

Originally Posted by .2PDK

💯 I like the run forest run gif. No words needed lol

Last edited by Emeka; 03-07-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:43 PM
Btbossman
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Nothing scares me more then a super low mile car with a ton of owners.

watching endless videos of people having these cars souped up to the max for years with only basic maintenance is testament to how well these cars are made.

I would personally walk at anything over 159k plus CPO included.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 PM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Miami blue 18 TTS AT NASHUA was mine…great car treated with much love…traded in for 992 TTS GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:16 PM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 338 Posts

^^^ There you go...
Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 AM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by radar979
Miami blue 18 TTS AT NASHUA was mine…great car treated with much love…traded in for 992 TTS GOOD LUCK!!!!
Congrats on the 992!

Love the spec on your Miami Blue, I’ll reach out to them again and see what they say on the price.

How does the 991.2 compare to your 992?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 AM
BIGJ
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed on the pad wear. I was surprised to see pads that looked very low on a 12,500 mile car. On the Turbo S Miami Blue or PTS are the only colors I’d go for and currently there is only this one and another MB on the east coast,

2018 aero kit 1 owner but 27,500 miles for same price, but includes CPO. With the double the miles and not being able to see the car I felt like this is a better buy.
Ive been eyeing this one as well!

Last edited by BIGJ; 03-08-2021 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Im a moron

Quick Reply: Purchase advice