Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 GT2RS turbos on a 991.2 TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 03:25 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Put an XR kit on there and don’t look back.

i went through every option iteration before deciding to do just that.

putting the GT2RS turbos on there by themselves is a very expensive mod with minimal results....have to spend A LOT of money modding to get much out of it and then you priced in a similar zone as just doing Sams XR kit....but the XR kit will produce 200 more HP and 100 or more torque and run cooler.

upgraded VTG was an option I looked at but then you have to push them sooo hard to get all the power out of them that everything runs hot and you need meth...and your still capped out at 150 less horsepower.

my car makes 911 HP at the wheels, about 1047 at the crank....I also have all my interior and frunk space...

XR system...no other option comes close to its performance, and absolutely nothing out there gives as much RELIABLE power gains per dollar spent.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

And it pulls like a bullet train from 3800 rpm to redline...🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Nikolov
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I’m also considering Sam’s XR kit. I currently have his stage 3 software with CSF ICs and the car runs 10.0s in the 1/4 mile with the occasional 9.9 on unprepped surface and street tires. I can only imagine what the XR kit is going to be like
Old 08-08-2020, 10:37 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,130 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikolov
I’m also considering Sam’s XR kit. I currently have his stage 3 software with CSF ICs and the car runs 10.0s in the 1/4 mile with the occasional 9.9 on unprepped surface and street tires. I can only imagine what the XR kit is going to be like
I bet you have the 991.2 Billet Wheels. That is F A S T for stock turbos. Excellent tune !
Old 08-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Great. Please post up the details.

The TTE1000 has noticeable lag ?
There have been a number of companies, namely in Germany, doing Porsche VTG upgrades since Porsche exclusivity agreement ended with BW.. Very few are actual manufacturers however, most are resellers, and the majority offer the exact same specs.. I am not familiar with them other than through the internet, but I believe TTE is actually a reseller.

Of course the larger the VTG hot side is, the more lag, it will not be perceptible however while accelerating through gears or kick down on D in Sport mode. The 900VTG upgrade are larger than the GT2RS turbochargers.

Typical acceleration times of a 991 GT2RS with the 900VTG upgrade (exhaust, tuning etc, NO Meth) are:
100-200 km/h: 4,2s vs. stock 5.4s
200-300 km/h: 9,6s vs. stock: 14.8s

A 0-300kph in 16.5 secs vs 22 secs without meth is a considerable improvement, so it seems that heat management with these upgraded VTGs is working well. I have not researched acceleration times for a tuned GT2RS with stock turbochargers and no meth, there must be numbers out there, but I suspect around 20s 0-300kph.

I would definitely go the XR way unless I was trying to hide the turbo upgrade from the dealer for warranty purposes, then the large VTG might not be a bad idea.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:12 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
There have been a number of companies, namely in Germany, doing Porsche VTG upgrades since Porsche exclusivity agreement ended with BW.. Very few are actual manufacturers however, most are resellers, and the majority offer the exact same specs.. I am not familiar with them other than through the internet, but I believe TTE is actually a reseller.

Of course the larger the VTG hot side is, the more lag, it will not be perceptible however while accelerating through gears or kick down on D in Sport mode. The 900VTG upgrade are larger than the GT2RS turbochargers.

Typical acceleration times of a 991 GT2RS with the 900VTG upgrade (exhaust, tuning etc, NO Meth) are:
100-200 km/h: 4,2s vs. stock 5.4s
200-300 km/h: 9,6s vs. stock: 14.8s

A 0-300kph in 16.5 secs vs 22 secs without meth is a considerable improvement, so it seems that heat management with these upgraded VTGs is working well. I have not researched acceleration times for a tuned GT2RS with stock turbochargers and no meth, there must be numbers out there, but I suspect around 20s 0-300kph.

I would definitely go the XR way unless I was trying to hide the turbo upgrade from the dealer for warranty purposes, then the large VTG might not be a bad idea.
“900VTG”

Do you have a link to that turbocharger ?

All if the 68’s that I have found (so far) , just trim the turbine blades. I have zero interest in that mod. You might get 5% more flow. You might not. Porsche upsized the turbines on the 992 and the GT2RS to match the Comp side. That’s the correct way to do it.

The TTE, is the only 991.2 frame that I have found that comes with an upsized turbine.

If there are other options, please post them up.

A GT2RS BW on the 991.2 frame would be very interesting.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:47 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

“900VTG”

All if the 68’s that I have found (so far) , just trim the turbine blades. I have zero interest in that mod. You might get 5% more flow. You might not. Porsche upsized the turbines on the 992 and the GT2RS to match the Comp side. That’s the correct way to do it.

The TTE, is the only 991.2 frame that I have found that comes with an upsized turbine.

Onfire,

Yes I understand what you mean, I am talking about larger frame and upgraded turbine, not only 68mm compressor side which is what I have. As I mentioned since Porsche exclusivity ended, several houses are building those larger frame turbos for the 991.2 TT and 991GT2RS.

I don't like posting or promoting non sponsors, but will link to one of those turbo builders given the interest and I feel you are doubting TTE are not alone
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Upgrade-Turb...IAAOSwIexemiE1

You cannot get any information from their German website, its only through direct contact, but they are very cooperative on the phone. I believe they might be the suppliers for TTE.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:18 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Onfire,

Yes I understand what you mean, I am talking about larger frame and upgraded turbine, not only 68mm compressor side which is what I have. As I mentioned since Porsche exclusivity ended, several houses are building those larger frame turbos for the 991.2 TT and 991GT2RS.

I don't like posting or promoting non sponsors, but will link to one of those turbo builders given the interest and I feel you are doubting TTE are not alone
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Upgrade-Turb...IAAOSwIexemiE1

You cannot get any information from their German website, its only through direct contact, but they are very cooperative on the phone. I believe they might be the suppliers for TTE.

"This auction includes the processing of the delivered turbochargers!
This is only possible if the turbochargers supplied are in order,
i.e. no oiling, boost pressure problems, grinding, whistling, etc ...

Porsche 911 991.2 Turbo S 3.8 T 580PS MK2
Year of construction: from 07/2016
Engine: 9A1
Displacement: 3800 cc
Power: up to 662 KW / 900 PS

The OEM Borg Warner turbochargers are optimized with the following changes:
Milled Extended Tip compressor wheels with the latest compressor geometry
Gap optimization through CNC turned compressor housing and exhaust housing
Performance turbine with a bevel for less exhaust gas pressure
edit the exhaust housing
Reinforced storage
Fine balancing up to 0.05g
Made in Germany
Plug and play assembly
TTH-991-900

"With the appropriate engine components and the adaptation of the engine control unit, an increase in performance of up to 900PS is possible.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

“900VTG”

I thought ES Motors came out with 71mm vtg turbos but I have not seen cars with them. In their case they mostly go with their non-vtg kit.

TTE asks for an absurd amount of money for just turbos. I think they are asking about 15K for their TTE900 option.

For serious power it seems that the XR kit is the way to go.

I am also waiting to see more cars with SRMs Xona kit which seems to be well priced for a full kit as a middle of the road solution for non vtg. It has shown promising results and might be a step better than the 68mm vtg, especially from a heat management point of view.

I am also curious from a reliability point of view if it would make sense to run the 68mm vtg on a modified meth tune, not for max power but for cooling on a track day scenario. Probably more power than tuned stock turbos with decent IATs to cope with say 20 min sessions.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:02 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kouzman
I thought ES Motors came out with 71mm vtg turbos but I have not seen cars with them. In their case they mostly go with their non-vtg kit.

TTE asks for an absurd amount of money for just turbos. I think they are asking about 15K for their TTE900 option.

For serious power it seems that the XR kit is the way to go.

I am also waiting to see more cars with SRMs Xona kit which seems to be well priced for a full kit as a middle of the road solution for non vtg. It has shown promising results and might be a step better than the 68mm vtg, especially from a heat management point of view.

I am also curious from a reliability point of view if it would make sense to run the 68mm vtg on a modified meth tune, not for max power but for cooling on a track day scenario. Probably more power than tuned stock turbos with decent IATs to cope with say 20 min sessions.
Kouzman, If you do not provide a core exchange, most VTG turbo upgrades including a 68mm conversion will end up costing you around 9-10K , probably with the availability of used cores nowadays prices will have dropped. Even the German outfit linked above, will charge over 11K if you do not provide them with a core.

The 71mm upgrade is the same as the 68mm, it only uses a larger compressor wheel but turbine is modified but not larger.

If you are looking for a 650-700hp car for the track, the 68mm VTG with methanol works very well, I used it for over 2 years, and it is fantastic on the track up to 23-24 psi with a good tune. If you are looking for 800+ then XR seems to be the best option, followed by one of these larger VTG setups such as the TTE and others. If I am not worried about running a somewhat stealth setup for whatever purpose, XR is what I would have.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT2RS turbos on a 991.2 TTS?