Newbie questions about 991.1 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:37 PM
domini
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions about 991.1 Turbo S

Hi all,

I've recently imported on its own wheels a white bordeaux red / black interior left-hand drive Porsche Approved 991.1 Turbo S from Germany into the UK and happily own it. Decided to become a newbie here as well.

If anyone needs any insight on the importing process, feel free to ask/contact me.

Could you help me with several rather dumb/obvious questions please?

1. I mostly use BT AUX for music but whenever I start the car PCM defaults to radio which might be too loud etc i. e. inconvenient. Is it possible to make the car default to any other option? (Waiting for BT AUX would be the most convenient but defaulting to Jukebox is OK as well.)

2. Is it possible to switch BT AUX audio tracks from sportdesign steering wheel?

3. Is it possible to retrofit/install lane assist on the 991.1 Turbo S? If this matters, mine does not have adaptive cruise control and I can live without it.

4. I intend to drive in regions where winter tyres are required both for legal and my own safety reasons. Yet I don't intend to race in these regions, just use the car as a daily drive (i. e. I don't intend to speed more than 200 km/h or maybe even much less, I don't need the whole 300+ km/h range provided by the Porsche certified winter tyres). Mine has centre-lock wheels. As far as I'm aware the only certified Porsche winter tyres require wheels of different size. Had I configured the car myself I would likely choose non-centre-lock wheels to use the same wheels for summer and winter tyres. Now I'm a little torn between buying second-hand winter-sized wheels and Porsche certified tyres which I don't exactly need and just buying non-certified winter tyres with lesser speed rating that suit "summer" centre-lock wheels size. There is also an option to find someone to exchange my second-hand centre-lock wheels to their second-hand non-centre-lock wheels but I would still prefer to have centre-lock wheels in the summer and I think finding such an exchange would be very hard. Could you advise what is the best/cost-effective option in such a situation and why?

5. I'm leaning towards buying winter tyres with speed rating ~240 km/h suitable for "summer" centre-lock wheels. Obviously those will not be certified by Porsche. I intend to service the car at Porsche and maintain Porsche Approved warranty until I sell the car. Would using such tyres within their speed rating invalidate Porsche Approved warranty, Porsche Assistance, anything? Will I get any bad rap from the Porsche Centre? Or it's totally OK for them to see such tyres? How will TPM learn about these tyres if currently the only options available are Porsche certified tyres?

6. Does comfort tyre pressure wear the tyres out faster than the regular pressure if I don't exceed speed rating and/or 270 km/h (as per manual)?

7. It seems to me that Comfort Entry does not roll the seat back as much as it is possible manually i. e. the entry could have been more comfortable. Am I wrong? If I'm right, is there any option to alter this?

8. What is the optimal place to put video registrator on 911? To catch as much as possible but on the other hand not to restrict my view. What is the optimal way to wire it so that it's "always" on? Could you recommend any specific model and why? Same questions about rear view video registrator.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited by domini; 06-02-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:11 PM
domini
8th Gear

Bump.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I run the recommended winter tires on my 991.1 OE summer wheels. It works fine.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:01 PM
domini
8th Gear

Thank you for the information!

Could you please confirm you run 245/35 R 20 and 295/30 R 20 N-rated winter tires created for 8.5J x 20 and 11J x 20 winter center locked trims respectively on 9J x 20 and 11.5J x 20 summer (original) center locked trims and everything works great?
Do you service your car in Porsche Center? Have they said anything against it? Do you have Porsche Approved warranty?
What do you choose in TPM settings in the car? 20" summer or winter setting?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I run the recommended winter tires on my 991.1 OE summer wheels. It works fine.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by domini
Hi all,

I've recently imported on its own wheels a white bordeaux red / black interior left-hand drive Porsche Approved 991.1 Turbo S from Germany into the UK and happily own it. Decided to become a newbie here as well.

If anyone needs any insight on the importing process, feel free to ask/contact me.

Could you help me with several rather dumb/obvious questions please?

1. I mostly use BT AUX for music but whenever I start the car PCM defaults to radio which might be too loud etc i. e. inconvenient. Is it possible to make the car default to any other option? (Waiting for BT AUX would be the most convenient but defaulting to Jukebox is OK as well.)

2. Is it possible to switch BT AUX audio tracks from sportdesign steering wheel?

3. Is it possible to retrofit/install lane assist on the 991.1 Turbo S? If this matters, mine does not have adaptive cruise control and I can live without it.

4. I intend to drive in regions where winter tyres are required both for legal and my own safety reasons. Yet I don't intend to race in these regions, just use the car as a daily drive (i. e. I don't intend to speed more than 200 km/h or maybe even much less, I don't need the whole 300+ km/h range provided by the Porsche certified winter tyres). Mine has centre-lock wheels. As far as I'm aware the only certified Porsche winter tyres require wheels of different size. Had I configured the car myself I would likely choose non-centre-lock wheels to use the same wheels for summer and winter tyres. Now I'm a little torn between buying second-hand winter-sized wheels and Porsche certified tyres which I don't exactly need and just buying non-certified winter tyres with lesser speed rating that suit "summer" centre-lock wheels size. There is also an option to find someone to exchange my second-hand centre-lock wheels to their second-hand non-centre-lock wheels but I would still prefer to have centre-lock wheels in the summer and I think finding such an exchange would be very hard. Could you advise what is the best/cost-effective option in such a situation and why?

5. I'm leaning towards buying winter tyres with speed rating ~240 km/h suitable for "summer" centre-lock wheels. Obviously those will not be certified by Porsche. I intend to service the car at Porsche and maintain Porsche Approved warranty until I sell the car. Would using such tyres within their speed rating invalidate Porsche Approved warranty, Porsche Assistance, anything? Will I get any bad rap from the Porsche Centre? Or it's totally OK for them to see such tyres? How will TPM learn about these tyres if currently the only options available are Porsche certified tyres?

6. Does comfort tyre pressure wear the tyres out faster than the regular pressure if I don't exceed speed rating and/or 270 km/h (as per manual)?

7. It seems to me that Comfort Entry does not roll the seat back as much as it is possible manually i. e. the entry could have been more comfortable. Am I wrong? If I'm right, is there any option to alter this?

8. What is the optimal place to put video registrator on 911? To catch as much as possible but on the other hand not to restrict my view. What is the optimal way to wire it so that it's "always" on? Could you recommend any specific model and why? Same questions about rear view video registrator.

Thank you for the help!
I can help with two of the questions:
1) On the radio, the answer is no. You can't default to aux or jukebox. On my car it will only default to FM Radio or SAT Radio. I also found this very annoying when I got my car and I still find it annoying. I can't help with question on steering wheel buttons since I don't have steering wheel buttons.
2) Retrofitting features like LKA is not economically viable. Can probably be done, but would be very complex.
3) Regarding dash cams front and rear, see this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1071...k-dashcam.html
Old 06-07-2019, 02:28 PM
domini
8th Gear

Thank you for the information and the link!
Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I can help with two of the questions:
1) On the radio, the answer is no. You can't default to aux or jukebox. On my car it will only default to FM Radio or SAT Radio. I also found this very annoying when I got my car and I still find it annoying. I can't help with question on steering wheel buttons since I don't have steering wheel buttons.
2) Retrofitting features like LKA is not economically viable. Can probably be done, but would be very complex.
3) Regarding dash cams front and rear, see this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1071...k-dashcam.html
Old 06-07-2019, 04:01 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

In regards to #1.

I also used to have the same issue with the radio volume very loud on entry. The fix that has worked for me is to make sure the volume on the phone you have connected via aux Bluetooth is all the way up therefore limiting the car volume needed. This has solved the issue for me. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the information!

Could you please confirm you run 245/35 R 20 and 295/30 R 20 N-rated winter tires created for 8.5J x 20 and 11J x 20 winter center locked trims respectively on 9J x 20 and 11.5J x 20 summer (original) center locked trims and everything works great?
Do you service your car in Porsche Center? Have they said anything against it? Do you have Porsche Approved warranty?
What do you choose in TPM settings in the car? 20" summer or winter setting?
Yes to all. Dealership has no issue with it. I use the 20” winter tire setting.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM
domini
8th Gear

Thank you very much, Dennis! this solves a big question for me.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:45 PM
domini
8th Gear

Yes, I do the same. I was curious if there is a better way.
Originally Posted by mwlmd
In regards to #1.

I also used to have the same issue with the radio volume very loud on entry. The fix that has worked for me is to make sure the volume on the phone you have connected via aux Bluetooth is all the way up therefore limiting the car volume needed. This has solved the issue for me. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM
domini
8th Gear

Does anyone have experience with comfort tire pressure?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Does anyone have experience with comfort tire pressure?
Yes while using the comfort tire pressure I had a pothole and cracked a front rim
I will be using a Settings in between comfort and a full load
Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes to all. Dealership has no issue with it. I use the 20” winter tire setting.
Man do I love that color combo!!! Absolutely my favorite color on a 911! Very rare to see that color.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I love it too. It’s my second brown 911 cabriolet.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:20 AM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks! I love it too. It’s my second brown 911 cabriolet.
Congrats! Believe it or not that color is no longer available to order according to my sales guy at Porsche. I tried to find one for sale when I was looking and had zero luck. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Newbie questions about 991.1 Turbo S