Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Bang for Buck questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a guy with a tuned 1000hp Turbo S on a mountain run a couple of months ago and he could not keep up with me. Didn't have the skill to carry speed through the switchbacks,

Personally I don't see the need to tune this car. But if you insist on doing that then do it right. Don't cheap out. It's actually possible to reduce the vehicles performance with a bad exhaust. Unless you think that some $25k a year local welding tech knows how to make an exhaust better than the best engineers in Germany.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:03 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

Although I am tempted to have my car tuned and/or to do an exhaust, every time I drive it I am so impressed by its responsiveness and power. I think to myself, “how could I want any more”
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

In my opinion a quality exhaust, EP, Akra, Kline, really transform the car from a quiet GT cruiser to the true animal it is. Not crazy loud but more like it should sound.
As far as the tune, I chose the Cobb as I was really interested in the PDK Update and Im happy I did it. Really helped the shifting in auto and more GT3 like in manual. Doesn't hurt to have a little more oomph when needed too.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, I didnt mean for this to be an advertisement for one of the shops/builders/sponsors on here, but I do have to add when it comes the PDK... this is the second person I have talked to that said that for the most part a PDK will be ok with a good 700 hp without reprogramming. I was talking with Sam Stone at Evolution and he even said that he just switched his to sport mode and havent had any issues well into the 700-800 range.

As for the used parts, this is true. I am all about used parts. I ended up getting my wheels and coilovers used. The nice thing about most Porsches is they usually dont have alot of miles on them, and then on top of that... the used parts dont either...

Currently I am trying to buy a used exhaust for my car and then looking to put a reprogram in it (not sure who, I have been talking to a number of people)
and i would love to find a used gt3rs hatch/lid with wing
Old 05-17-2019, 01:07 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbihn
OK, I didnt mean for this to be an advertisement for one of the shops/builders/sponsors on here, but I do have to add when it comes the PDK... this is the second person I have talked to that said that for the most part a PDK will be ok with a good 700 hp without reprogramming. I was talking with Sam Stone at Evolution and he even said that he just switched his to sport mode and havent had any issues well into the 700-800 range.

As for the used parts, this is true. I am all about used parts. I ended up getting my wheels and coilovers used. The nice thing about most Porsches is they usually dont have alot of miles on them, and then on top of that... the used parts dont either...

Currently I am trying to buy a used exhaust for my car and then looking to put a reprogram in it (not sure who, I have been talking to a number of people)
Sorry if I came off that way lol, was just trying to answer all the questions. I wasn't expecting all of that when I got tagged here

Anyways, yup! I think I'm at 650whp and on sport or sport plus, I've never had issues with the PDK.

Definitely get used if you can, everything you said is 100% true lol.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

While the pdk tune isnt necessary for just an exhaust and tune, once you have an accessport the PDK upgrade is only $700. Tune wise if you want the best then go EsMotor through their U.S. dealer Aim performance.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Sorry if I came off that way lol, was just trying to answer all the questions. I wasn't expecting all of that when I got tagged here

Anyways, yup! I think I'm at 650whp and on sport or sport plus, I've never had issues with the PDK.

Definitely get used if you can, everything you said is 100% true lol.
Payam, no worries. I just didnt want people to think this was a setup to prime them for your product... it was a geniune question
Given I will expect my cut of the profits now

Arkadyzv, why are ES Motor the best? and what makes them the best?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Payam, no worries. I just didnt want people to think this was a setup to prime them for your product... it was a geniune question
Given I will expect my cut of the profits now

Lets get you a JB4, I've already got a few out with lots of positive feedback.

Payam@burgertuning.com
Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
pepinozaur
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2cents : I would do only a tune (stage1) or cheap cat delete pipes and a more aggressive tune, the biggest limitation is in the CATs not into the muffler. After that I would do Intercoolers and maybe Water injection. That should be all.. no ypipe, no headers, no muffler upgrade

Regarding JB4... I have used JB+, JB3 and JB4 and for 1499$ I would say is still way too expensive... for that kind of money I would do Cobb instead as a flash is better than a piggyback

I used jb4 on n54(gold), n55(gold), on n20? 428i 245hp (trash both the jb4 unit and that engine imo) and might buy one for my f90 m5c as seems to be working well (still 899$ or so, not 1499$..). If you really care about warranty, jb4 might do it, still not 100% sure covered as there are tuner codes these days that might or might not be deleted even by jb4
Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Yes, that is the Can signal for rpm, etc. It also plugs into the Map sensor on top of the Y pipe and the Map sensor on the right side of the manifold. That’s it. You can adjust boost adder by rpm, etc and a great logging software.
What about spark and fueling to go along with increased boost?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:20 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pepinozaur
My 2cents : I would do only a tune (stage1) or cheap cat delete pipes and a more aggressive tune, the biggest limitation is in the CATs not into the muffler. After that I would do Intercoolers and maybe Water injection. That should be all.. no ypipe, no headers, no muffler upgrade

Regarding JB4... I have used JB+, JB3 and JB4 and for 1499$ I would say is still way too expensive... for that kind of money I would do Cobb instead as a flash is better than a piggyback

I used jb4 on n54(gold), n55(gold), on n20? 428i 245hp (trash both the jb4 unit and that engine imo) and might buy one for my f90 m5c as seems to be working well (still 899$ or so, not 1499$..). If you really care about warranty, jb4 might do it, still not 100% sure covered as there are tuner codes these days that might or might not be deleted even by jb4
Thank you for your feedback!

The JB4 has definitely come a log way from the JB+/JB3 days.
$1499 You get to keep your warranty, make power like the flash guys, change maps on the fly, have safety systems implemented, boost by gear, valet mode, methanol or PI triggers, etc. All user friendly and can be done with a push of a button by the end user.

Cobb is about $3k? Twice the money, maybe less performance from what I have gathered on their OTS stage 1/2 maps. It's still another option though for anyone that wants it. We'll eventually be making some flash maps when people want to stack Cobb and JB4
Old 05-20-2019, 03:39 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Ttz06vette
What about spark and fueling to go along with increased boost?
Porsche, BMW, etc program their boosted platforms slightly beyond their operating range of boost to cover low altitude vs high altitude conditions. So a TTS in Florida might max out at 16psi but drive it to Denver and it might max at 20psi. So you have that delta mapped plus a margin. Piggyback’s , programmed within the max margin, let’s say a 3-4psi adder, will fall into the DME programming tables for boost and timing as long as the hardware (fuel pump,injectors,etc) is not exceeded. Plus you have some wiggle room in the Wideband Fuel Trims. If you exceed the DME tables, you will need other controls for fuel, etc.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Thank you for your feedback!

The JB4 has definitely come a log way from the JB+/JB3 days.
$1499 You get to keep your warranty, make power like the flash guys, change maps on the fly, have safety systems implemented, boost by gear, valet mode, methanol or PI triggers, etc. All user friendly and can be done with a push of a button by the end user.

Cobb is about $3k? Twice the money, maybe less performance from what I have gathered on their OTS stage 1/2 maps. It's still another option though for anyone that wants it. We'll eventually be making some flash maps when people want to stack Cobb and JB4
Any plans for a JB1 with a 3psi adder Target ?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

They have the Porsche platform figured out better than anyone else when it comes to performance and Emre is an actual tuner, ie. able to tune cobb, syvecs, stock ecu, ect.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Any plans for a JB1 with a 3psi adder Target ?
For now it's speculation. I'm doing extensive testing with + 3 psi on different fuel mixes with the JB4 right now.

So if everything looks safe and strong to me after these next few weeks, I think we might roll out with a Stage 1 option with no Canbus.
I personally would rather have a JB4 system so we can log all parameters instead of just boost.

Quick Reply: Bang for Buck questions