Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tubi race exhaust, CEL issue...buy cats or a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tubi race exhaust, CEL issue...buy cats or a Tune?

Hey folks,
bought a 2015 TTS With tubi race exhaust without cats. This has been an ongoing thing (my other engine code thread). Anyway, the dealer reset the light and replaced a starter relay and the CEL came on again. I’m confident it’s because of the lack of cats. Anyway, love the sound of the car, doesn’t drone and gets aggressive only in sport mode! I need to get rid of that CEL Permanently! I’ve been researching and some say buy the fabspeed sport cats others say buy the Cobb tune and have the codes tuned out. I’m the type that normally never mods my vehicles for these reasons alone! Looking for suggestions on which approach is best. I’d prefer not to go back to OEM if at all possible.

thanks!
Old 05-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Most people will go with a tune from Cobb. Some people will end up not liking the smell of catless or the fact that it will eventually stain your rear bumper. For those people going with 200CEL cats will be your best bet.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Most people will go with a tune from Cobb. Some people will end up not liking the smell of catless or the fact that it will eventually stain your rear bumper. For those people going with 200CEL cats will be your best bet.
Makes sense! With a black car, will I still get any staining? I think adding cats is the “safer” choice but the idea of a Cobb tune that can provide a little extra performance and eliminate the CEL is intriguing

I also don’t want to spend a ton of $ experimenting either.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

My car has no tune and catless Kline system. I run these Vibrant Performance 11619 J-Style Oxygen Sensor Restrictor with Gas Flow Inserts on the catless pipe as suggested by Sam of By Design. No CEL in 1800 miles since install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163214116738?ul_noapp=true
Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

I’ll check into those, thanks!

for those who have owned a 997.2 TTS and now 991 TTS, did the 997 feel quicker, or maybe more raw? After driving the 2015 TTS, for some reason the 997 felt snappier in most situations. Almost hard to believe considering my 991 has Tubi race exhaust which must add a decent amount of power unless it’s not running right.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

as posted in my other thread......

Well, I am snagging a pair of used Fabspeed HJS 200 cats from Sam (Sam, thank you sir for your great service and communication). From everything I could gather after reading and speaking to folks on this forum in the exhaust industry, it seems like adding Cats back to the car is my best bet to eliminate that pesky CEL. I will then have my Porsche dealer re flash the car to its stock tune ($170). I want to be sure the car is operating normally and doesnt have some old tune that might be negatively affecting its performance / reliability. Crossing my fingers!

You all are very helpful! I cannot thank you guys enough! We are lucky to have such nice cars
Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
I’ll check into those, thanks!

for those who have owned a 997.2 TTS and now 991 TTS, did the 997 feel quicker, or maybe more raw? After driving the 2015 TTS, for some reason the 997 felt snappier in most situations. Almost hard to believe considering my 991 has Tubi race exhaust which must add a decent amount of power unless it’s not running right.
Yes the 997.2 will feel quicker and more raw for sure. I still miss mine. For all out speed the 991 takes to bolt ons with upgraded turbos better due to a larger fuel system and pdk clamping force on the clutches.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by longboarder
Yes the 997.2 will feel quicker and more raw for sure. I still miss mine. For all out speed the 991 takes to bolt ons with upgraded turbos better due to a larger fuel system and pdk clamping force on the clutches.
I completely agree with your assessment! I think with the 991 being larger (heavier?) and more refined, it seems more subdued in terms of acceleration even though technically it’s faster. It’s more GT like than the 997. I’m not complaining either, love the 991 TTS!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Matty's World
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Time for a Cobb
Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Update. Had the HJS sport cats installed yesterday and unfortunately the CEL still came on, they even replaced the O2 sensor. The car goes to the actual dealer Tuesday to reset the ECU to factory, hoping this is the culprit. What a pain, now I know why I don’t mess with aftermarket stuff.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:05 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Update. Had the HJS sport cats installed yesterday and unfortunately the CEL still came on, they even replaced the O2 sensor. The car goes to the actual dealer Tuesday to reset the ECU to factory, hoping this is the culprit. What a pain, now I know why I don’t mess with aftermarket stuff.
What exactly is the code that you’re getting
Old 06-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikerosi
What exactly is the code that you’re getting
I won’t know until Tuesday. Once I have them I’ll report back and hopefully you guys can help me out!
Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 PM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I won’t know until Tuesday. Once I have them I’ll report back and hopefully you guys can help me out!
Yeah I get that code because I have a feeling the code is not related to the exhaust and more of a secondary air injection issue like Po491 or P0492
Old 06-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Did it have the CEL when you bought it?

After you get reflashed to stock buy the Cobb AP and work back up the ladder. I suspect there is a problem with the tune you have not the hardware.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim991
Did it have the CEL when you bought it?

After you get reflashed to stock buy the Cobb AP and work back up the ladder. I suspect there is a problem with the tune you have not the hardware.
My thoughts as well. If they are able to tune it back to stock won’t my current exhaust system play nice with the ECU?

Quick Reply: Tubi race exhaust, CEL issue...buy cats or a Tune?