Sponsored by: Road Spy

First day with the new 991TS - Random Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:55 PM
pigcorn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First day with the new 991TS - Random Thoughts

Sorry I am writing this as trip bullets and not a full trip report but I am fresh from picking up my 991 TTS and didn't want to lose my thoughts:

• Drove 325 miles today picking my 991TTS with only 28 delivery miles from southern NJ then driving out to East Hampton and back to NYC. Journey was through all 5 boroughs, 2 states, and I think 4 bridges ;-)
  • Stopped in Mineola Long Island to discuss PPF, Ceramic Coating, and some carbon fiber exterior parts (air inlets and mirror stalks) with the guys at Detailing Dynamics. Got a lot of love for the Chalk Color and the interior config of yellow stitching on black.
  • Woah this car has power (coming from a C4S) but what is the most striking to me and I am not sure why I don't hear more about is how this car stops. I mean literally this thing can stop on a dime and quick. Never experienced anything like it, I guess most people talk about going vs stopping but I was stunned and found it really fun ;-)
  • Its my 5th Porsche ( I have only owned one at a time and only 1 other 911 991.1) and one word I would use to describe the car is smooth. Again also not said much but the power it delivers is not brute force in my opinion, it is refined and smooth. I know this is not popular but I like how the car is no where near as go kart loud as my 991.1.
  • The 18 way seats are a serious game changer, so comfortable.
  • Adapative Cruise Control feels like a bolt on. Seriously Porsche you use the toggle from the windshield wipers to control the distance...felt cheap and has nothing on my Range Rover Autobio but I will admit was handy. Also the sonar it send out is too big as i would find it slowing down when it "saw" a car in front but in the lane next to me, maybe that is fixed in 992
  • Holy crap this machine is so refined (have I mentioned that yet)...I think it is also all the extended leather, the smell of it alone. It is honestly the perfect car (all things considered meaning not for a family of 4) but you get what I mean. Only thing would be better is a hard top cabrio. But I had the top down for all 8 hours today so maybe it doesn't matter too much.
  • Oh one gripe the heated steering wheel is more like a warm vs hot like my Range Rover....picky I know but come on its cold in Germany and I could swear my other Porsche's had hotter warmers in the steering wheel.
  • Car Play is a game changer for me, its awesome.
  • Really impressed with the power. Sometimes the YouTube Videos are from kids who drove a honda accord to the test shoot and everything they seem to test drive they call ludacris and are blown away so i take those with a grain of salt BUT this car is extremely powerful but delivers that power in an absolutely perfectly engineered way. I was afraid with all the reviews that my wife could never drive it as it was so sensitive and fast but it is not, it all just makes sense. this is not dodge viper delivery of power if that analogy makes sense.
  • Kinda stinks that I realized my car that literally has a 3 page options list didn't have the suspension lift and i have the turbo aero kit.....oh well will see how that goes
  • Funny I drove a midnight blue 991.1 C4S Cab. Maybe 2 out of 10 people would look and say oh nice. This car, it must be the color? The wheels? The turbo aero kit? I got honks and looked over and got thumbs up, I got old ladies crossing the street telling me nice car, i even had the rep from Xpel walk by my car at the detailer and said wow that color is amazing, even the Porsche demo person said I have never seen a cab in this color with interior combo (clearly I do not have a 1 of 1) but OMG this car gets serious attention.
OK done with my random thoughts. Amazing car.

(pic at Main Beach in East Hampton...for those not from NY area this is one of the 10 best beaches in the world (not just US) and Bon Jovi lives (in the summer) about 400 feet from this pic...and still the car stole the show vs the ocean on a 70 sunny spring day)

Last edited by pigcorn; 04-25-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:18 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Congratulations on the new car. I came from a 991.1 C2S cabriolet in midnight blue to this Carrera white metallic 991.1 TTS. The power difference is remarkable. My old car did have ceramic brakes but these ceramic brakes are much better. Even this PDK shifts better than my last car’s PDK, I don’t know why. Different software?
You picked a great day for a top down experience. I love driving my car when it’s in the 70s or 80s. It is also great to drive at night when it’s very warm out. I’m sure you will be enjoying the car immensely.
Thanks for the great write up.
I am from South Jersey. May I ask where you bought the car?
Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 AM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Great post….awesome car….with you on the brakes!!!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Lo911TTS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats your car looks awesome!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Congratulations.....with more miles under your belt in sport plus mode and getting on it you will find it kicks *** pretty good)) nice spec...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:29 AM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I have the coupe in chalk and absolutely love it. Enjoy in good health!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:33 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations! Nice write-up.

A couple of comments which may be useful:
1) I don't have the issue you describe with ACC. I suggest you have the dealer re-calibrate it. Typically the camera has to be calibrated with the wheel alignment (not sure why but that's what they say). Should solve the issue.
2) I don't think you will miss the front suspension lift. I have never scraped my front even in situations where it scrapes on every other car I owned. The TTS rides higher than the C4S, and also the front bumper design is different because of the active aero. With active aero retracted you won't scrape. With the spoiler extended you will. So remember to retract your spoiler, or even better just leave the aero in auto mode.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Congrats - seriously beautiful car, love the color. Only thing i would disagree with is the top - hard top. i like the look of the soft top (more) and its basically a hard top and almost as quiet as a coupe. so best of both worlds for me - who was missing an open top DD car for So Cal..
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I just had my first day with my car this year. I love it. That's all. Third year and 36,000km so far, no issues.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats and thanks for the nice write-up!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:45 PM
marsh1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Post a few more pics when you get a chance
Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Congrats on the car!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

great looking car, all the right options! congrats!
Old 04-28-2019, 09:24 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Great car, congrats!
You made some good points too, thx for sharing.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:33 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Seems like the OP has kind of disappeared.

Quick Reply: First day with the new 991TS - Random Thoughts