Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 GT3 vs 911 Turbo for dd

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 vs 911 Turbo for dd

I am considering swapping my 991.2 GT3 for the turbo (new or cpo) so as to use it all year round, including
snow tires in winter, The carrera 4 gts is another idea. Anyone use these cars as all year round drives ( real winter conditions)? Love the GT3, just can drive it enough in this climate. Advice appreciated!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 PM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Smile

I use my TTS as dd in maine all year round with snow tires…its very capable and enjoyable to drive in challenging conditions!!!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 PM
Mexico Blue GT3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both, '18 GT3 manual and a '19 turbo s. The GT3 is so exciting to drive, but the turbo s is a much more usable daily SportsCar. The noise levels, the creature comforts, heated and cooled seats, Burmeister, multifunction steering wheel, etc in the turbo s make it easier to live with day in and day out. I know this has been discussed at length, but I much prefer the 991.2 over the 991.1 turbo s (if you're deciding between the two). Good luck with the decision.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexico Blue GT3
I own both, '18 GT3 manual and a '19 turbo s. The GT3 is so exciting to drive, but the turbo s is a much more usable daily SportsCar. The noise levels, the creature comforts, heated and cooled seats, Burmeister, multifunction steering wheel, etc in the turbo s make it easier to live with day in and day out. I know this has been discussed at length, but I much prefer the 991.2 over the 991.1 turbo s (if you're deciding between the two). Good luck with the decision.
Coming from a NA 991.1 GTS to a 991.2 TT, it's a very different flavor and an upgrade to me. I DO long for the GT3 and love to hear comparisons to TT models. I would just find it difficult to DD a GT3 with the ground clearance, not so much the noise levels...it just seems like such an exciting car.

My observations on my Turbo are that it's 'easy fast', but very exciting for me as well. The PDK has been improved on 991.2 in terms of shift time. The .2 has many improvements.

Another thing on GT3 that I don't understand is lack of Burmester option. Not sure what's up with that.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

I considered the GT3 as well, but went with the TTS. My understanding is the same as the others. The TTS is a driver that can be used 365. I have a set of winter tires and wheels to use for the December to April months.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:02 AM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

As much as the GT3 is not the RS - there is big difference between it and the Turbo cars. Porsche split them up intentionally. The Turbo is recognized as the greatest all rounder with the level of performance it has from all car reviewers.

Now - I am not driving my Turbo S all seasons. That is just not me. I do not understand people who do - as you cannot enjoy the car from a performance perspective. That said - Porsche DID design the Turbo cars to be true all-rounders - so I cannot say anything as they make the decisions lol. They do extensive winter/extreme cold and terrain testing. I can see it being just like my F90 M5.

That said - I know its Porsche - but I have to believe that there are better winter cars out there.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Regarding C4GTS vs TTS as a DD. I daily drove my 991.2 C4S (w/X51 and SPASM, roughly equivalent to a C4GTS) for a couple winter seasons and it's fine in the snow with winter tires. The 4GTS and 4S w/SPASM ride a bit low (although not as low as a GT3) and I found that to be the more challenging issue driving daily in a hilly city like Seattle. Remembering to use the front axle lift really, really really stresses my wife out. Last summer, the two of us were at the dealership waiting for her car to be brought out after a service visit and we were admiring the cars on the showroom floor. I showed her the retractable front spoiler on a TTS in the showroom and she decided right then and there that I should swap my C4S for a TTS. I didn't argue with her, of course. The TTS rides a little higher, feels a little softer, and really feels like more of a grand touring car than the nimbler (and somewhat firmer) SPASM Carreras.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,939 Likes on 1,911 Posts

XPEL or a similar clear wrap is mandatory if you are going to drive at all in the winter. My TT is not a four season car because of having the Cayennes, but if it were, I would not consider driving it without the full wrap.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

If you can only have one.... TTS is a great versatile DD. I traded my GT3 991.2 for a CPO 2017 TTS and much more satisfied and driving the car everyday while the GT3 was a special event and sat in the garage.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM
wanesso
Instructor

Excellent advice from all, many thanks! I will say that I used the F90 M5C this winter, it was unstoppable with snows, but a bit big and removed from the road. Not a problem for many drivers, it's the most comfortable car I've had but I find I miss the road noise and snappy response. Will be on the hunt for a CPO turbo!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:40 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Coming from a NA 991.1 GTS to a 991.2 TT, it's a very different flavor and an upgrade to me. I DO long for the GT3 and love to hear comparisons to TT models. I would just find it difficult to DD a GT3 with the ground clearance, not so much the noise levels...it just seems like such an exciting car.

My observations on my Turbo are that it's 'easy fast', but very exciting for me as well. The PDK has been improved on 991.2 in terms of shift time. The .2 has many improvements.

Another thing on GT3 that I don't understand is lack of Burmester option. Not sure what's up with that.
Burmester has a much larger and heavier Amplifier with 1,000 Watts vs the smaller lower output and lighter Bose.
Also, with the higher noise levels in the GT3 you won't hear much of the Higher Fidelity and wider frequency response.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

i can give a .1 perspective since i first had a Gt3 and now turbo S that is tuned. Since i have a separate track car i did not track my gt3. Had fun with it as dd but the Turbo S for non track applications is better in just about every way...i love it. I rarely drive my huracan now. the turbo with aftermarket exhaust pretty much combined everything the Gt3, Lambo and my C4S where good at into one car. I am sold on turbo s as the best dd i have ever owned.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
wanesso
Instructor

Did you make the trade through the same dealer where your GT3 was purchased? Did you get most of your money back in the trade?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:03 AM
wanesso
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanesso
Did you make the trade through the same dealer where your GT3 was purchased? Did you get most of your money back in the trade?
This question was for Abiazis....
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by wanesso
Easily got all money back. i went through different dealer after 4 months and just beat the downturn. Ahead about 10k all said, plus what I saved on Turbo which was about 40k on a car with less than a year in service and 10k miles. Carried over taxes to the TTS.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 vs 911 Turbo for dd