Porsche experience center LA = FUN

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Porsche experience center LA = FUN

Hi guys,
didn’t see an existing thread. So I’m currently looking at replacing my Z06 with a 991.1 turbo/S. We came down to Palm Springs on vacation and decided to go to universal studios. While I realized Porsche Center wasn’t too far away and convinced her this would be like an “extreme test drive!” I drove a 991.2 turbo S (I know, not the same as the 991.1 but I figured very close) and man was it a great 90 min experience. The facility is awesome, the different exercises are fun. The one on one with the instructor is nice to have and really iron out little mistakes. I had to change a few habits/techniques you use with FE vettes! But damn the acceleration runs were insane, hits SO hard off the line, I love it!! It was also excellent on the track, even with stock Pirelli tires. The car just rotates and has great balance. Hopefully soon my thread of “new Turbo owner” shows up!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:01 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Turbo S spoils you for anything else.......try the Birmingham Driving School.......SO MUCH better than the Atlanta or LA experiences.....a real track) Very much worth the trip.......god luck with your Turbo search
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by TtimeS
Hi guys,
didn’t see an existing thread. So I’m currently looking at replacing my Z06 with a 991.1 turbo/S. We came down to Palm Springs on vacation and decided to go to universal studios. While I realized Porsche Center wasn’t too far away and convinced her this would be like an “extreme test drive!” I drove a 991.2 turbo S (I know, not the same as the 991.1 but I figured very close) and man was it a great 90 min experience. The facility is awesome, the different exercises are fun. The one on one with the instructor is nice to have and really iron out little mistakes. I had to change a few habits/techniques you use with FE vettes! But damn the acceleration runs were insane, hits SO hard off the line, I love it!! It was also excellent on the track, even with stock Pirelli tires. The car just rotates and has great balance. Hopefully soon my thread of “new Turbo owner” shows up!
I've owned 3 Vettes. Lingenfelter TT, Grandsport and a 2017 650/650 Z06. Just bought a 2019 TTS. There is no comparison to the Vettes. Z06 ran 11.4 at 126 on a prepped NHRA track 45 minutes from me. After the prep went away high 11's was all I could get due to the launch. My TTS runs 10.4 at 131mph on the street....zero prep....you will not regret the trade !
Old 04-19-2019, 03:52 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Turbo S spoils you for anything else.......try the Birmingham Driving School.......SO MUCH better than the Atlanta or LA experiences.....a real track) Very much worth the trip.......god luck with your Turbo search
ok. I’ll look into it. I didn’t realize the the Birmingham school was so much different! Do they offer a multiple day course?

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
I've owned 3 Vettes. Lingenfelter TT, Grandsport and a 2017 650/650 Z06. Just bought a 2019 TTS. There is no comparison to the Vettes. Z06 ran 11.4 at 126 on a prepped NHRA track 45 minutes from me. After the prep went away high 11's was all I could get due to the launch. My TTS runs 10.4 at 131mph on the street....zero prep....you will not regret the trade !
ya no question! It’s even harder to get traction living in the Seattle area. There’s just not enough constant heat to get the tires sticky! The TTS even with modestly warm tires is a rocket out of the hole!
Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree, great experience - My dad and I went a couple months ago and we had a blast! he is looking at upgrading and we did the 2 vs. 4 since he is looking at a Carrera, what a great way to try both and not freak out the dealer salesperson! I would highly recommend as it's a great way to really experience what the cars can do in a controlled environment - Good luck in your search! KH
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khiroshima
Agree, great experience - My dad and I went a couple months ago and we had a blast! he is looking at upgrading and we did the 2 vs. 4 since he is looking at a Carrera, what a great way to try both and not freak out the dealer salesperson! I would highly recommend as it's a great way to really experience what the cars can do in a controlled environment - Good luck in your search! KH
thats part of the reason I went! To verify not only was the Turbo fast but would fulfill my desires in comparison to my Z06. I knew it would be elegant and have a more upscale interior but was very impressed by the performance. Also thought even with stock exhaust it sounded good.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:22 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

i think LA is much better than AL. AL is only good if you are going on track first time. LA is good ar every layer of skill.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:58 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Good luck with your hunt for your 991 turbo s, awesome cars!

I went to the LA experience as well, had a great time, really enjoyed all the skill courses there, my instructor was really cool

I'd like to try a real track at Birmingham next
Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TtimeS
ok. I’ll look into it. I didn’t realize the the Birmingham school was so much different! Do they offer a multiple day course?

Yes..... check out Porsche website

ya no question! It’s even harder to get traction living in the Seattle area. There’s just not enough constant heat to get the tires sticky! The TTS even with modestly warm tires is a rocket out of the hole!
agree
Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Birmingham has much more than a real track..... their skill areas are able to accommodate more speed and their off road is awesome....

I would rate AL one, Atlanta two and LA facility a distant third.....I have been to all three numerous times and if I had to pick one it would be AL.

Originally Posted by lowpue
i think LA is much better than AL. AL is only good if you are going on track first time. LA is good ar every layer of skill.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Birmingham has much more than a real track..... their skill areas are able to accommodate more speed and their off road is awesome....

I would rate AL one, Atlanta two and LA facility a distant third.....I have been to all three numerous times and if I had to pick one it would be AL.
i went quite a few years ago to AL....for first time on track i enjoyed it but with all the time i have spent on the track since, i would not enjoy the lead/follow format (unless that has changed). Also, unless they added the kick plate and polished track in AL, i just can't get enough of time with those skills in LA...i loved those from a training perspective
Old 04-20-2019, 12:20 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

i looked up AL and it looks a bit more extensive, reminded me of spring mountain (corvette school). However is it all lead/follow? Do they offer a place to stay as part of the package? That was one thing I really liked about LA was the private one on one, I was thinking of going back for the 4 hours session.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Great review, I've been meaning to do the La experience but haven't found the time. Hope you find a worthy 991.1 to add to your garage.

Question for the Z06 guys: does the Z06 pull harder than the TTS from a roll? I figured they'd be pretty close (or the vette would have the edge) once you took away the TTS's traction advantage off the line.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:01 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckard
Great review, I've been meaning to do the La experience but haven't found the time. Hope you find a worthy 991.1 to add to your garage.

Question for the Z06 guys: does the Z06 pull harder than the TTS from a roll? I figured they'd be pretty close (or the vette would have the edge) once you took away the TTS's traction advantage off the line.
Possibly if you iced the Mag on the Z for hours and made one hero roll run. At normal operating temperatures, my TTS killed my Zo6 from a launch or roll. 126mph vs 131mph is a good roll advantage. Surprisingly, the TTS is also much quieter on a 75mph Cruise. Zo6 has a ton of tire noise. Sounds crazy with the Zo6 making 650/650, but mechanical efficiency makes a big difference. On the street, pure stock to pure stock TTS > Zo6 and ZR1 from a Launch. TTS > Zo6 from a roll. ZR1 from a roll would be interesting. Couple of folks here own both. Hope they post up their thoughts.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:24 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Possibly if you iced the Mag on the Z for hours and made one hero roll run. At normal operating temperatures, my TTS killed my Zo6 from a launch or roll. 126mph vs 131mph is a good roll advantage. Surprisingly, the TTS is also much quieter on a 75mph Cruise. Zo6 has a ton of tire noise. Sounds crazy with the Zo6 making 650/650, but mechanical efficiency makes a big difference. On the street, pure stock to pure stock TTS > Zo6 and ZR1 from a Launch. TTS > Zo6 from a roll. ZR1 from a roll would be interesting. Couple of folks here own both. Hope they post up their thoughts.
i think definitely true for 991.2 TTS. I think a 991.1 TTS from a 40-60 roll would be nose to nose with a Z. I’d expect the ZR1 from a 50+ roll to pull away. It’s just got a big power advantage.

Quick Reply: Porsche experience center LA = FUN