Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 TTS as a daily driver?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Gibsomd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 TTS as a daily driver?

Sorry if that's a silly question...

I'm considering purchase of a CPO TTS; any thoughts on suitability as a year-round DD in the Atlanta area? I'm asking because I attempted the same thing with a C7 Corvette Z06 previously and it was a bit of a handful on cold/wet tires (granted they're like comparing chalk & cheese, my point was comparing two powerful cars for my purpose. The Z06 was so torquey, it took nothing to break the tires loose (even with hot,dry tires!)). Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM
brianch5351
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, it is absolutely an amazing daily driver. i just did a winter stint with winter tires, and it was probably one of the 'safest' experiences i've had. the traction management is quite good, so you won't really have that kind of issue as the vette if you're not slamming the throttle at every stop.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

The 991 platform in general makes for a great 4 season daily driver, especially with proper tires in the winter. Much more balanced car than the Corvette Platform.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:55 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 508 Posts

I live in Atlanta and I use my 2017 991.2 TTS year round. I had a C4S I used to use daily for a 40 mileage roundtrip commute and put on 70,000 miles in 4 years without an issue, even in the snow that was infrequent here in Atlanta. That car gave me confidence in using the TTS in the same way.

The all wheel drive system is so sure footed and planted in rainy conditions, and that makes it a great daily.

I use the sport mode most of the time, but if you want it quieter, use the default auto mode on the rotary dial. This first mode also makes the drivability better in slow around town traffic.

If the car has Pirellis see if dealer/seller, as part of your deal, will install Michelin 4S as they are quieter. Performance is about the same.

Sport Seats are very adjustable and comfortable - heated and ventilated..... leg room is great...

Burmester stereo is just awesome.......and distinctly better than the Bose unit.

My car has the glass sunroof, which I like.

No reservations using the car everyday in Atlanta.

It is not as showy as a Lambo or Ferrari or Bentley with better performance as a supercar. Backseats are useful also and trunk is deep enough for visits to the grocery, etc.......golf clubs in front seat or rear seats. Small kids in the back.

Mileage is good too.....about 17 around town and 22 plus on the highway...........the start stop function helps with the mileage, but I usually use sport mode for sharper response......

Get the car wrapped PPF, if it isn't already......Atlanta Protective Films is great....they do the Ferrari dealership's cars and reasonably priced........versus the dealer....

PS - if you are looking at the black on red cab at Ellis, it is a great car.......
Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Ryan Day
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Great as a daily driver. That is one of the reasons I bought it.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM
roe997
Instructor

I daily drive my TTS in Wisconsin. Handles better in the rough weather than my suburban. I also own a C7 Z06. My few drives with the Vet in cold weather were uncomfortable. The two are like night and day.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:33 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 163 Posts

DD my TTS with a lot of rain in Seattle with the occasional snow storm as of lately. It handed well in everything, just make sure you have designated winter tires and summer tires.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Gibsomd

Thanks all! I appreciate the benefit of your insights.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 PM
Gibsomd

Duplicate... sorry
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
DD my TTS with a lot of rain in Seattle with the occasional snow storm as of lately. It handed well in everything, just make sure you have designated winter tires and summer tires.
I completely agree as I daily mine in CT. Winter tires plus AWD is a terrific combination.

I had winters on the Z06 as well which actually made it drivable year round, but fails in comparison to the TTS on winters.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I DD mine in everything but snow. Love it. No issues. Parking it where it will be safe is the only thing that is annoying about it. But, then again, I can often park it in VIP spots at hotels and restaurants.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:06 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are talking about the ability to drive the 911 in all weather then yes with the correct tires it is very doable. Is it a great DD? In my opinion no. It is cramped, has a small frunk and I don't feel super great parking it next to random cars. It also is a pain to climb in and out of. It is a blast to drive and gets lots of looks but IMO there are better daily drivers.

If you look at the average mileage of used TTS for sale then you can do the math and it becomes clear these cars are not driven daily, unless most of the owners are retired and don't drive anywhere.

Super fun car though.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
If you are talking about the ability to drive the 911 in all weather then yes with the correct tires it is very doable. Is it a great DD? In my opinion no. It is cramped, has a small frunk and I don't feel super great parking it next to random cars. It also is a pain to climb in and out of. It is a blast to drive and gets lots of looks but IMO there are better daily drivers.

If you look at the average mileage of used TTS for sale then you can do the math and it becomes clear these cars are not driven daily, unless most of the owners are retired and don't drive anywhere.

Super fun car though.
Getting in and out of the TTS is way easier than the Z06. So it really matters what your point of reference is.

It certainly is the best daily driver overall, but it really is a great DD if you’re decided to have a sports car. I find that the rear seat works great for kids, I am able to pick up groceries, I can go skiing with the factory roof rack, it is a blast on the track, and it handles beautifully in the snow.

Just my $0.02
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 508 Posts

I retired 9 months ago and have driven the car daily for about 7 months and on a few elongated mountain road trips, but "MWLMD" in an above post is correct that there could be a fair amount of these cars owned by retired people or people with short commutes because they can afford to be close to work and also own other cars.........I have put 2500 miles on my car in 7 months and drive it daily, switching off some days with my 993 lately with the better weather the last few weeks.........

My car is a CPO with 13K, bought it with 10,860 miles with first owner driving it that amount in a year........I plan is to keep it at least until warranty runs out in 5 more years.............

Love driving it daily and take it everywhere and carefully just park on corner spots or farther away from main lots and have been doing this for years with any of my cars, even SUVs........
Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

I daily drive mine - but live in LA. I dont have a long commute 5-6 miles. The guy above says there are better DD's. Sure - if you want a boat/luxury/big trunk/sedan/family hauler etc. But if you want a 911 that's comfortable, good sound, not too noisy, and fast and handles great and puts a smile on your face every time, the 911 TT is that car. Its perfect for me as a DD. I have friends who wouldn't think so as its low, small, etc. So they pick a Lexus or an S class Merc. Depends on what you are looking for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 TTS as a daily driver?