Sponsored by: Road Spy

My ES750RS vs Dragtimes McLaren 720S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 AM
Kisco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Congrats Fadi. You are certainly committed to making your car a formidable 1/4 and maybe in the future, 1/2 mile racer. Can’t wait to see how it goes and watch the videos. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Neil.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 AM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS

LOL, to try and beat him???, not sure what you mean by that. Also, the search button is your friend!

Manuel
Correct. Why would I search bolt on cars?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I have no dog in the fight, but I can't imagine your car was put on a trailer and shipped back without having been tuned on a Dyno and / or a pull or two on the street by the AIM guys, was it???

I understand there's some fine tuning to be done with logs, given the different DA's of Your state / conditions and as well in FL. I'm sure it'll dial in a bit better soon.

I just think it's fair to say that they have your setup pretty close with even just Dyno tuning, wouldn't you say?

I think both AIM / Emre and Sam / Cobb have things going pretty good for these cars these days. Everyone is doing great for their respective customers. Exciting times for us all interested in tuning / modding.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:09 AM
vtknight
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole

I just think it's fair to say that they have your setup pretty close with even just Dyno tuning, wouldn't you say?

I think both AIM / Emre and Sam / Cobb have things going pretty good for these cars these days. Everyone is doing great for their respective customers. Exciting times for us all interested in tuning / modding.
Now this is being positive. Good post.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:33 AM
Kisco
Intermediate

I have no dog in the fight, but I can't imagine your car was put on a trailer and shipped back without having been tuned on a Dyno and / or a pull or two on the street by the AIM guys, was it???

I understand there's some fine tuning to be done with logs, given the different DA's of Your state / conditions and as well in FL. I'm sure it'll dial in a bit better soon.

Hey Swole....It was tuned on the dyno, but barely got any time on the street due to incliment weather in NJ. If you caught it in my video, I got to the track early (and paid $500) just to data log the car and send back and forth to ES in hopes to dial in the tune for the temperature delta and to get launch data, something AIM wasn’t able to do at all in NJ. So while I did have a base tune, it’s all I had.

I was able to get one log sent to Emre, but unfortunately I was having trouble connecting to the internet via hotspot and after trying for 15 mins to download his first revision, I said “forget it” and it was what it was.

How far is my base tune from an optimal tune? That’s a better question for Emre but if I had to guess, there is a bit left on the table for dialing it in.

As I said before, honestly I don’t really care about the back and forth. There is a lot of animosity here because I switched from SBD to ES and a win over my new set up has a couple people really excited, lol.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Okay cool...well, keep us posted when you get it dialed in.

Nice runs by all in the vid!!! Congrats on the build.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:38 AM
Kisco
Intermediate

Okay cool...well, keep us posted when you get it dialed in.

Nice runs by all in the vid!!! Congrats on the build.
Thank you! I’ll be sure to have updates on the channel soon.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:57 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS

Hi IMI A,

Let me clarify, that is not Mark Blackwell’s car, that is Mike David’s car...stock motor, stock tranny, stock clutches, 68mm By Design VTG’s and not an apples to apples comparison like some say. The VTG’s in Fadi’s car are GT2 RS turbos which are indeed larger than the 68mm turbos.

This car was also finished up late Thursday, and tuning was done while at the track by the one of one Sam from By Design!

Manuel
Thanks for clarifying. We've all been trying to work out if these 991 GT2 RS turbos are worth going for. I was very impressed with Fadi's performance for a first outing and know exactly what its like when dialing a newly tuned car in. The dialing in never stops. Al things considered the ES car is absolutely flying and of course so is Sams.

The real question is if Fadi went for a latest gen Garrett 3071 would he be better off than with current set up? When I was talking to Emre years ago via email he told me this was his perfect road car set up. He'd drop the VTGs. This was 5 years ago. Maybe these new GT2 RS VTGs with bigger turbines solved the weaknesses surrounding back pressure and high IATS? Meth masks the problem keeping IATs cool but the back pressure issue is still there so is the best solution even today to drop VTGS for 800bhp (crank) on pump with quick spool?

I can't get the performance I want from 997 GT2 hybrids without racefuel. Its very annoying!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Great runs by everyone. I’ve been modifying turbo cars for 20 years but am new to Porsche. Mid 9 second TTS with minor mods is very impressive. Congrats to all. Fadi, it’s also mega impressive to bring a car from the dyno to the track and have it run well. Dyno loads (depending on the type dyno), can get you into the zipcode, but actual DA, wind loads, etc etc takes more tuning time. Great job !

Does anyone log BP vs engine boost on the VGT’s ?

Anything over 1000rwhp in other platforms I keep under 1.50 for longevity. 20psi engine boost = 30psi maximum BP. Ideally 1:1 if possible.

The 911 turbo platform is very impressive.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI A
Thanks for clarifying. We've all been trying to work out if these 991 GT2 RS turbos are worth going for. I was very impressed with Fadi's performance for a first outing and know exactly what its like when dialing a newly tuned car in. The dialing in never stops. Al things considered the ES car is absolutely flying and of course so is Sams.

The real question is if Fadi went for a latest gen Garrett 3071 would he be better off than with current set up? When I was talking to Emre years ago via email he told me this was his perfect road car set up. He'd drop the VTGs. This was 5 years ago. Maybe these new GT2 RS VTGs with bigger turbines solved the weaknesses surrounding back pressure and high IATS? Meth masks the problem keeping IATs cool but the back pressure issue is still there so is the best solution even today to drop VTGS for 800bhp (crank) on pump with quick spool?

I can't get the performance I want from 997 GT2 hybrids without racefuel. Its very annoying!
Need to keep in mind that to reach reliable 700 Fwhp with the new VTGs they had to improve engine efficiency and limit boost at 1.55 bar to avoid overheating the IAT. Larger ports by 25%, new air filter providing 15% more air, water spray, newly redesigned plastic intake with special aerodynamics and shorter runners to speed up air flow while keeping torque at 750NM, modified air ducts everywhere, special titanium exhaust with shorter cats, among other things.. one can quickly see that the new turbos don’t have such great potential after all.

True you can increase your boost and timing and so forth, but the turbo will be out of its efficiency range and you’d be pushing temps up. There is a reason it’s so fast at the Ring, and that Manthey did not touch the engine for their record run, anything further done to it would have dropped performance after a few runs.

Net net, non VTG turbos remain the recipe for high hp cars looking to beat straightline records. Porsche certifies it’s engines at 95 octane if I am not mistaken, sure by going with race fuel you bump performance by 50HP due to octane impact on VE.

The real trick would be how much slower than a stock 991TT will a non-VTG 900hp car be in a 50-80mph run in 4th or 5th gear that’s called daily drivability.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Porsche certifies it’s engines at 95 octane if I am not mistaken, sure by going with race fuel you bump performance by 50HP due to octane impact on VE.

I was with you all the way...but did you mean impact on BSFC instead of VE?

Bruce
Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I was with you all the way...but did you mean impact on BSFC instead of VE?

Bruce
Theoretically a lower BSFC would mean a more efficient use of fuel per hp produced but it is not always the case with racing fuel as it takes mass into consideration. Yet you can have a higher BSFC with racing fuel while you produce more power as a result of an increase of 5 deg in timing or boost facilitated by the racing fuel.. The correct measure is actually VE or BMEP, simplistically speaking amount of torque produced by unit of air.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Great information...thanks Jean!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:11 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean

Need to keep in mind that to reach reliable 700 Fwhp with the new VTGs they had to improve engine efficiency and limit boost at 1.55 bar to avoid overheating the IAT. Larger ports by 25%, new air filter providing 15% more air, water spray, newly redesigned plastic intake with special aerodynamics and shorter runners to speed up air flow while keeping torque at 750NM, modified air ducts everywhere, special titanium exhaust with shorter cats, among other things.. one can quickly see that the new turbos don’t have such great potential after all.

True you can increase your boost and timing and so forth, but the turbo will be out of its efficiency range and you’d be pushing temps up. There is a reason it’s so fast at the Ring, and that Manthey did not touch the engine for their record run, anything further done to it would have dropped performance after a few runs.

Net net, non VTG turbos remain the recipe for high hp cars looking to beat straightline records. Porsche certifies it’s engines at 95 octane if I am not mistaken, sure by going with race fuel you bump performance by 50HP due to octane impact on VE.

The real trick would be how much slower than a stock 991TT will a non-VTG 900hp car be in a 50-80mph run in 4th or 5th gear that’s called daily drivability.
Yes very true. Nice to see this thread stay mostly on track. On 6speedonline the insults have already started. Some tuners just can't take losing lol. Usual suspects.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:57 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI A
Yes very true. Nice to see this thread stay mostly on track. On 6speedonline the insults have already started. Some tuners just can't take losing lol. Usual suspects.
Yet instead of saying something over there, you chose to run over here and bump this thread instead? I participated in the 6speed thread am I the usual suspect you're referring to?

Can you be more clear about which tuners cant stand losing and who the usual suspects are.

Quick Reply: My ES750RS vs Dragtimes McLaren 720S