Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   991.2 Turbo S 1/2 Mile - Stock MPH? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1132347-991-2-turbo-s-1-2-mile-stock-mph.html)

vtknight 03-06-2019 01:43 AM

991.2 Turbo S 1/2 Mile - Stock MPH?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 Turbo S on order and I have a 1/2 mile event this summer. I was into fairly high powered modded setups before this and moved into the Porsche due to some lifestyle changes. On Rennlist I have seen the 991.1 Turbo S 1/2 mile thread and they were in the high 150's MPH range. But I can't find much on the 991.2's - as I guess they are still too new. I have done my homework and went with the 991.2 as I am not modding it and it seems to have some legs with the larger turbos - it seems to be as quick and fast 60-130 as a base tune 991.1 Turbo S - and a good 2-3 tenths and 2-3 MPH in the 1/4 than a stock 991.1. If I were modding - I would have went with the 991.1 as they are MUCH easier to mod.

But - back to being stock - I am wondering if that MPH advantage the 991.2 Turbo S has carries over into the 1/2 mile and I will be looking at a 160 flat or maybe a low low 160 MPH pass?

Computer generated pic of the car for attention.

I appreciate the experienced owners responses!

Thanks everyone!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...407531a007.png

onfireTTS 03-06-2019 09:08 AM

Great to see you over here ! Mine is still on SIEM Cicero, so no empirical data here. One 991.2 data point to consider on 1/2 mile events........the TTS cuts boost starting at 50C for engine protection......since a 1/2 is all about mph and not ET......that’s the main area to correct and is easily correctable.

vtknight 03-06-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15683934)
Great to see you over here ! Mine is still on SIEM Cicero, so no empirical data here. One 991.2 data point to consider on 1/2 mile events........the TTS cuts boost starting at 50C for engine protection......since a 1/2 is all about mph and not ET......that’s the main area to correct and is easily correctable.

LOL - you too! We are everywhere it seems...as you can see - Porsche was target for some time as I have been a member since 2016...
Good to know about the 50C limit as this event has been historically very hot (40+C temps - so I'm guessing we could test that). Since creating this post - I went through a 991.1 1/2 mile thread and found one guy who confirmed my guess - he said he went 162 MPH in the 1/2(!) which sounds high - but I guess it isn't impossible as I have found it takes an E85 FBO GTR to keep up with the new 991.2 Turbo S - and they should be close to 160 +-.

I don't know if anyone has done 1/2 mile here - and I am hoping someone with some direct experience will let us know.

See you on here I'm sure...when is your delivery?

onfireTTS 03-06-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15684011)
LOL - you too! We are everywhere it seems...as you can see - Porsche was target for some time as I have been a member since 2016...
Good to know about the 50C limit as this event has been historically very hot (40+C temps - so I'm guessing we could test that). Since creating this post - I went through a 991.1 1/2 mile thread and found one guy who confirmed my guess - he said he went 162 MPH in the 1/2(!) which sounds high - but I guess it isn't impossible as I have found it takes an E85 FBO GTR to keep up with the new 991.2 Turbo S - and they should be close to 160 +-.

I don't know if anyone has done 1/2 mile here - and I am hoping someone with some direct experience will let us know.

See you on here I'm sure...when is your delivery?

Hopefully here at the end of March. I hope 50C IAT will be ok in the 1/4 mile pure stock. 28C ambient will probably push 50C at the end of the 1/4. Going on into the 1/2 it will definitely dump boost pure stock. Probably from the 1/4 onward.

vtknight 03-06-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15684065)

Hopefully here at the end of March. I hope 50C IAT will be ok in the 1/4 mile pure stock. 28C ambient will probably push 50C at the end of the 1/4. Going on into the 1/2 it will definitely dump boost pure stock. Probably from the 1/4 onward.

That is crappy - it means a lot of cool down - maybe one pass - but likely weakened after the 1/4. Well - I will test that at least.

onfireTTS 03-06-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15684207)
That is crappy - it means a lot of cool down - maybe one pass - but likely weakened after the 1/4. Well - I will test that at least.

IC upgrade will fix it. Or a spray bar system like the GT2RS.

onfireTTS 03-06-2019 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by vtknight (Post 15684207)

Here is some data for you.

arkadyzv 03-06-2019 06:20 PM

I've been to many half miles events, ran at 4 last year. In reasonable conditions a stock 991.1 turbo s will do 155 to higher 150s conditions and traction dependent and also event dependent as the timing and more importantly the starting line is not standard either. I think a 991.2 turbo s should be able to do higher 150s to maybe even a low 160 as you have more power up top and should launch better.

Get the traction figured out mainly, the goal is to be able to launch as well as possible and not waste any distance. The better the quarter mile the better the 1/2. My 760whp 991.1 did 178 in good conditions and picked up right around 32mph from quarter trap to half mile speed, id guess a stock one will pick up in the high 20's or so.

Just for how much difference the little stuff makes; I recently rented a c7 z06 from hertz and ran it at the wannagofast half mile event in dallas, first run it did low 150s, by removing the rear spoiler, a can of octane booster ,some tape work and figuring out how to put power down better it went 160 gps by the end of the weekend lol.

Get a dragy if you dont already have one and figure out what the car likes launch wise, also a can of octane booster or race gas will keep the car happy for the whole pull which will be around 17 seconds or so. Spoiler down and lip in. Only theory I never got to test was the shift from 4 to 5, the gearing of 5th with the car shifting at redline seemed to slow it down a little, I think short shift into 5th would also add a mile or so.

Originally Posted by onfireTTS (Post 15683934)

ET still matters as you are limited by distance like in the 1/4 mile so the faster you E/T the better the 1/2 mph will be as you are wasting less distance if that makes sense.

onfireTTS 03-06-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by arkadyzv (Post 15685211)
I've been to many half miles events, ran at 4 last year. In reasonable conditions a stock 991.1 turbo s will do 155 to higher 150s conditions and traction dependent and also event dependent as the timing and more importantly the starting line is not standard either. I think a 991.2 turbo s should be able to do higher 150s to maybe even a low 160 as you have more power up top and should launch better.

Get the traction figured out mainly, the goal is to be able to launch as well as possible and not waste any distance. The better the quarter mile the better the 1/2. My 760whp 991.1 did 178 in good conditions and picked up right around 32mph from quarter trap to half mile speed, id guess a stock one will pick up in the high 20's or so.

Just for how much difference the little stuff makes; I recently rented a c7 z06 from hertz and ran it at the wannagofast half mile event in dallas, first run it did low 150s, by removing the rear spoiler, a can of octane booster ,some tape work and figuring out how to put power down better it went 160 gps by the end of the weekend lol.

Get a dragy if you dont already have one and figure out what the car likes launch wise, also a can of octane booster or race gas will keep the car happy for the whole pull which will be around 17 seconds or so. Spoiler down and lip in. Only theory I never got to test was the shift from 4 to 5, the gearing of 5th with the car shifting at redline seemed to slow it down a little, I think short shift into 5th would also add a mile or so.

ET still matters as you are limited by distance like in the 1/4 mile so the faster you E/T the better the 1/2 mph will be as you are wasting less distance if that makes sense.

Great post ! Never ran the 1/2 but really want to do it. I’m the 1/4, I mph more with a spinning launch vs a dead hook in my 2WD cars which is always a slower ET. Sounds like AWD is a different animal. Looking forward to test it out !

vtknight 03-06-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by arkadyzv (Post 15685211)

Thank-you for the feedback...I have been debating the launch simply because with poor 60' in the 1/4 you tend to MPH higher (and lower MPH when you hook). I have found in my 1/2 mile racing that the second 1/4 is key - but being fair I haven't had the traction capability of the Turbo S (I ran a modded C7Z and also went 178 MPH lol). I simply ran through the gears - speed shifting versus power shifting - compared to trying to launch it - this gave me my best MPH - but being fair - not by much (2 MPH). My launch as you can see isn't fantastic. I will try both methods with the Turbo S and report back which worked best...

SamboTT@ByDesign 03-06-2019 08:22 PM

I have seen 158 in the true half mile 991TTS stock

BMS 03-06-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 15685462)

Will you be making it to any of the upcoming events?
NFZ April 13 Saturday
SS April 27 Saturday
SS April 28 Sunday
Famoso May 5 Sunday

SamboTT@ByDesign 03-06-2019 11:15 PM

Will definitely have some cars out there. I always try it’s just tough with the family. There’s a couple of events every single weekend around the world where I try to support my guys. I always want to be there. I do make it to several year though I miss it.

BMS 03-06-2019 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 15685796)
Will definitely have some cars out there. I always try it’s just tough with the family. There’s a couple of events every single weekend around the world where I try to support my guys. I always want to be there. I do make it to several year though I miss it.

I understand, it's definitely hard when you have family.

vtknight 03-07-2019 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign (Post 15685462)

Thank-you for the feedback. 991.1 or 991.2? I recently saw an autocar video where the 991.2 Turbo S did 159 MPH so you might be right on: