COBB

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

The COBB Accessport is the best OEM ECU tuning solution. We've got plenty of these sold and I even have a used one for sale right now ready to go.
The ProTune solution will also take the car to the next level and is a service offered by us as well.

My favorite analogy goes like this. The OTS maps the COBB Accessport provides is like getting a suit from the suit store. It's going to look nice, fit well, and do the job.
However, a ProTune is like getting the suit tailored. It's going to fit the contours of your body, sized perfectly at the waist, just like the tune will be optimized exactly how the car is behaving and extract even more out of it. It's going to be sharp

PM me if you have any questions. The PDK is a wonderful touch as well.

-Charles@BBi

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 AM
jonnybravom3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your input and advice. much appreciated!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 AM
fanboy01
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
Not yet, will be very soon!
Will the JB4 require sending ECU to you to get unlocked before installation?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by fanboy01
Will the JB4 require sending ECU to you to get unlocked before installation?
No. JB4 is a plug in piggyback. I’ve used it on the F90 platform and it worked well. Another viable option when it is ready.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn't. Do you really find yourself wanting more power in turbo car?

Your warranty is gone if you decide to do it. Don't buy all the nonsense posted 'its the law they have to to prove it.' If your car has CEL or something quirky that requires sending data dump to Porsche tech line (very probable as dealer techs just follow instructions), they will see ECU has been tampered with even if you turn to stock (history missing and it wont even be your original stock... a 'CODD stock'), they will refuse to look into it. At that point you're not going to be able to fight the Porsche corporation and dealership in court even if you might win.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

Your warranty is gone if you decide to do it. Don't buy all the nonsense posted 'its the law they have to to prove it.' If your car has CEL or something quirky that requires sending data dump to Porsche tech line (very probable as dealer techs just follow instructions), they will see ECU has been tampered with even if you turn to stock (history missing and it wont even be your original stock... a 'CODD stock'), they will refuse to look into it. At that point you're not going to be able to fight the Porsche corporation and dealership in court even if you might win.
JB4 is untraceable when disconnected

Unlike flash tuning like COBB.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but thousands of owners of just about every make and model disagree with you. That's why there are literly hundreds of aftermarket manufacturers making parts and systems to change the stock system. As stated above the factory can't deny a claim of the failure of any system unrelated to whatever modifications were made.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but thousands of owners of just about every make and model disagree with you. That's why there are literly hundreds of aftermarket manufacturers making parts and systems to change the stock system. As stated above the factory can't deny a claim of the failure of any system unrelated to whatever modifications were made.
More than opinion... personal experience.

Install Cobb tune, get a CEL, then go to the dealer saying your PDK is in limp mode sometimes and see what happens. Also tell them to look into why engine running lean with aftermarket cats. You cry all you want that they must prove the aftermarket parts caused it...that thousands of people are using them. They wont care and will explain why there mod might be causing it...doesn't matter if what they say is true or not.

I agree...there's a large market for aftermarket stuff and people who buy it all the time. Plenty of people who mess up stock designs. Yep... lots of stuff happens in the world. Someone is probably eating rice in China, but that doesn't mean its good food.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Have not had this type of negative dealer experience. My dealer is selling and installing Cobb for customers. I have tuned 3 Porsche TT cars including my current TTS. The car just behaves better than stock. I'm not looking for 700-800 hp just a sharper PDK response a little more giddy up with better vocals. The Cobb and Europipe do both without making the car difficult in any way.
I know tuning is not for everyone and I would consider myself "tuner light". But there is personalties in the car that need to be expressed that stock does not allow.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:45 AM
mikerosi
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
Even for tune only you want a protune, the cobb OTS stage 1 flash is rarely an improvement over stock, regardless of what their marketing drawn dyno graphs show. If anything ive only seen it lose power, my car wasn't any faster with it. A stock 991 will do 60-130 in the high 7's , tune only pump 93 with a real protune from EsMotor will put you in the lower 7's. A real increase thats felt.
how is this even possible losing power ????
Did you do a Dyno o on the off-the-shelf tune
Old 03-12-2019, 01:37 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mikerosi

how is this even possible losing power ????
Did you do a Dyno o on the off-the-shelf tune
Did not dyno mine, have seen another one dynoed where it lost 5whp which is neither here nor there, the advertised gains are minute even if achieved. I've tried the stage 1 cobb files on at least 2 other platforms, same results.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 PM
AirBusPilot
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Hmm. When I installed the COBB Stage 1 on my stock TTS, it had a pronounced gain in torque (*** dyno confirmed). I'm stage 2 now with a catless Klline, and it traps 129 in poor DA, while spinning hard all the way through 2nd gear (11.1 et., 1.87 60 ft.)
Old 03-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The OTS maps are a start, but a custom tune is needed to gain performance. I've used Cobb on multiple turbo's, including protune and accomplished good numbers. It also depends on what dyno is used.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Hmm. When I installed the COBB Stage 1 on my stock TTS, it had a pronounced gain in torque (*** dyno confirmed). I'm stage 2 now with a catless Klline, and it traps 129 in poor DA, while spinning hard all the way through 2nd gear (11.1 et., 1.87 60 ft.)
The question was in regards to Stage 1 tune. Your results with the stage 2 tune effectively means its slower than stock, the increasing traps is from spin and poor 1.87 foot. Also IMO the easiest way to measure horse power or performance increase would be to do a 60-130 one stock and then modified. It removes the traction out of the equation. Mine ran the same 11.1 on the street bone stock on the crappy stock pirellis, just switching to the michelin ps4's got it back down to 10.7 , 10.8 with much improved 0-60.

The cobb advertised gains are a measly 3.5 hp and 25tq crank, everyones butt dyno is different so I'm not arguing that what I felt is different than what you feel, feel is feel . But my opinion is that overall placebo affect aside the car is not any faster than stock and to spend 2000 on a cobb to just run the stage 1 file is a waste of money. I felt the torque hit on mine and then I felt the timing pull up top. I got it protuned days after, these cars do adapt, maybe it improved with more driving. Something as little as 10wtq in a car that makes 500wtq or so stock isnt something I consider a quantifiable difference . The OTS maps are designed to work in every climate, elevation, DA, ect some might have better results than others but 60-130 I doubt the car is any faster where just stock and protuned it would be at least a few tenths faster.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 PM
AirBusPilot
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by arkadyzv
The question was in regards to Stage 1 tune. Your results with the stage 2 tune effectively means its slower than stock, the increasing traps is from spin and poor 1.87 foot. Also IMO the easiest way to measure horse power or performance increase would be to do a 60-130 one stock and then modified. It removes the traction out of the equation. Mine ran the same 11.1 on the street bone stock on the crappy stock pirellis, just switching to the michelin ps4's got it back down to 10.7 , 10.8 with much improved 0-60.

The cobb advertised gains are a measly 3.5 hp and 25tq crank, everyones butt dyno is different so I'm not arguing that what I felt is different than what you feel, feel is feel . But my opinion is that overall placebo affect aside the car is not any faster than stock and to spend 2000 on a cobb to just run the stage 1 file is a waste of money. I felt the torque hit on mine and then I felt the timing pull up top. I got it protuned days after, these cars do adapt, maybe it improved with more driving. Something as little as 10wtq in a car that makes 500wtq or so stock isnt something I consider a quantifiable difference . The OTS maps are designed to work in every climate, elevation, DA, ect some might have better results than others but 60-130 I doubt the car is any faster where just stock and protuned it would be at least a few tenths faster.
My 1.87 60’ explains the 11.1. No real traction until 3rd gear. My other run was an 11.3, at 128. Sometimes trap speed improves with some wheel spin, but not at the track that day. If you’re still spinning well beyond the 60’, the rule of thumb of better trap speed doesn’t apply. BTW, I’m not a newbie to the drag strip.

Stock, the car would dead hook. Now, it frys the tires thru 2nd, everywhere. I think we can assume it’s becuase it’s making substantially more power.

I’m not sure what a bone stock 911.1 would trap at under the same weather, but I wouldn’t be even slightly worried to race one. No way will a stock 991.1 out run a stage 2 COBB (though it would likely provide a better 60’ on stock tires).

Quick Reply: COBB