991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need to replace battery

Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

$600 sounds about right from the dealer.

Do note that the dealer will say that battery has to be coded to the car when installed, which apparently is 2 hours of labor (!!). While it shouldn't be a big deal if it isn't, they will deny a warranty claim if the battery fails within its 2 year warranty if it wasn't coded.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

My car was out of warranty anyway.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Hi All,

As RandyC151 explained you can replace the H7 with an H6.... but I want to explain a bit on how this works because battery sizes for most Porsches can seem confusing but it's actually sort of simple.

Its usually one of three batteries used in ALL the modern Porsches and European Cars. That mean BMW, Audi, Volkwagen, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborgini etc... are staying with these sizes in most cases...
H6 aka Group 48
H7 aka Group 94R,
H8 aka Group 49

It seems confusing because and H6 (most often called that in Europe) is the same as a Group 48 (most often called this is USA). But nowadays you can usually just say H6, H7 or H8 and Autozone and all the others will know what battery you mean. But they are the same battery.

But the fact is EACH of the batteries above is the EXACT same Height, and same Width, with only the Length (left to right) being different. Each larger size gets longer by 1.5" inches in length... but all the other dimensions stay the same. So for the Porsche and other cars they are actually all interchangeable... and if you go bigger it is only to get more Amp Hour Capacity. For example the GT3 don't have as many electronics and draws as the Turbos... so they get the H6... but a Turbo usually gets the H7 because they wanted to put more Amp Hours in it , then the SUVs usually get the H8 because they offer even more amp hours since SUV usually have even more items they are powering.

So the other fact is that most all the Porsche Battery trays (where the battery sits) have 3 bolt holes in the battery tray that allow you to just move the battery mounting cleat to accomodate any of those H6/H7/H8 sizes in your car. So you can actually in most cases use ANY of these batteries in most all the modern Porsches and just move the mounting cleat over.

Last word is most all these Lead Batteries on the Market are made by the SAME companies... meaning a company like Johnson Controls makes the Walmart Brand, the Autozone Brand, and most EVERY other one out there. And while some have a little better built quality the fact is the Banner one is just the same as the Autozone or Walmart one being honest. If the Case is exactly the same you can bet about 90% of the time it is in fact the same exact battery in there just with a different sticker on it. Some offer a better warranty, but your just paying for it in the price, and it is most likely the exact same battery. You don't need a Banner, and $620 for a Lead battery is exceptionally high, but most of you can do it yourself... but they are freaking heavy and you have to sit in the frunk and brace yourself to get them in unless you are pretty strong...

Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Great information Antigravity, thank you!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hi All,

As RandyC151 explained you can replace the H7 with an H6.... but I want to explain a bit on how this works because battery sizes for most Porsches can seem confusing but it's actually sort of simple.

Its usually one of three batteries used in ALL the modern Porsches and European Cars. That mean BMW, Audi, Volkwagen, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborgini etc... are staying with these sizes in most cases...
H6 aka Group 48
H7 aka Group 94R,
H8 aka Group 49

It seems confusing because and H6 (most often called that in Europe) is the same as a Group 48 (most often called this is USA). But nowadays you can usually just say H6, H7 or H8 and Autozone and all the others will know what battery you mean. But they are the same battery.

But the fact is EACH of the batteries above is the EXACT same Height, and same Width, with only the Length (left to right) being different. Each larger size gets longer by 1.5" inches in length... but all the other dimensions stay the same. So for the Porsche and other cars they are actually all interchangeable... and if you go bigger it is only to get more Amp Hour Capacity. For example the GT3 don't have as many electronics and draws as the Turbos... so they get the H6... but a Turbo usually gets the H7 because they wanted to put more Amp Hours in it , then the SUVs usually get the H8 because they offer even more amp hours since SUV usually have even more items they are powering.

So the other fact is that most all the Porsche Battery trays (where the battery sits) have 3 bolt holes in the battery tray that allow you to just move the battery mounting cleat to accomodate any of those H6/H7/H8 sizes in your car. So you can actually in most cases use ANY of these batteries in most all the modern Porsches and just move the mounting cleat over.

Last word is most all these Lead Batteries on the Market are made by the SAME companies... meaning a company like Johnson Controls makes the Walmart Brand, the Autozone Brand, and most EVERY other one out there. And while some have a little better built quality the fact is the Banner one is just the same as the Autozone or Walmart one being honest. If the Case is exactly the same you can bet about 90% of the time it is in fact the same exact battery in there just with a different sticker on it. Some offer a better warranty, but your just paying for it in the price, and it is most likely the exact same battery. You don't need a Banner, and $620 for a Lead battery is exceptionally high, but most of you can do it yourself... but they are freaking heavy and you have to sit in the frunk and brace yourself to get them in unless you are pretty strong...
Thanks. A ton of valuable information there.

One last question - will the 40aH battery be more likely to run out than the 95aH AGM battery? I know the Antigravity battery has built in restart function but nonetheless I am curious if it is something I would have to use often. I drive my car 2-3 days per week, unless I am on vacation in which case I may be away for 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Thanks. A ton of valuable information there.

One last question - will the 40aH battery be more likely to run out than the 95aH AGM battery? I know the Antigravity battery has built in restart function but nonetheless I am curious if it is something I would have to use often. I drive my car 2-3 days per week, unless I am on vacation in which case I may be away for 2-3 weeks.
A couple things... a 95 Ah battery is super massive for a sports car...I think the typcial Porsche battery is 70Ah... I would think only the H8 is close to a 95Ah battery... which you don't need.

But going with that... a 40Ah lithium will absolutely NOT be coming close to over-discharge or needing the RE-START function often. In a 991 it could sit about 2 months in storage and still start the car. 40Ah is a very good Amp Hours Capacity that I would even feel comfortable with being used in a SUV, provided it isn't some camping SUV that has a bunch of accessories on it. A 40 Ah could easily start a car many more times in a row than a 90Ah Lead battery because Lithium is very good at providing high current , pulse discharges. But if you were just storing the car and it had a very low current draw... then 40Ah cannot go nearly as long as 95Ah. But a 40Ah can do a solid 8 weeks in the 991s and later for sure.... PROVIDED you don't have some after market accessories on there. These types of things like Cameras, Radar Detectors, after market stereos or theft alarms are often wired in to your porches system in way that can create much higher parasitic draws on the battery. A stock 991 and later have very good and low parasitic draws compared to earlier Porsches. But either way a 40Ah Lithium will not need to be kept on a charger or be draining quickly so you won't have to worry about that.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Especially in the warm Atlanta weather, you will probably NEVER have a problem with a 40Ah battery. It's just how much overkill do you want to have beyond that? My 25Ah battery has never not been enough, except the one occasion where I left my AIM solo and camera on for about 16 hours.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
A couple things... a 95 Ah battery is super massive for a sports car...I think the typcial Porsche battery is 70Ah... I would think only the H8 is close to a 95Ah battery... which you don't need.

But going with that... a 40Ah lithium will absolutely NOT be coming close to over-discharge or needing the RE-START function often. In a 991 it could sit about 2 months in storage and still start the car. 40Ah is a very good Amp Hours Capacity that I would even feel comfortable with being used in a SUV, provided it isn't some camping SUV that has a bunch of accessories on it. A 40 Ah could easily start a car many more times in a row than a 90Ah Lead battery because Lithium is very good at providing high current , pulse discharges. But if you were just storing the car and it had a very low current draw... then 40Ah cannot go nearly as long as 95Ah. But a 40Ah can do a solid 8 weeks in the 991s and later for sure.... PROVIDED you don't have some after market accessories on there. These types of things like Cameras, Radar Detectors, after market stereos or theft alarms are often wired in to your porches system in way that can create much higher parasitic draws on the battery. A stock 991 and later have very good and low parasitic draws compared to earlier Porsches. But either way a 40Ah Lithium will not need to be kept on a charger or be draining quickly so you won't have to worry about that.
So Scott would there be any harm in the battery sitting in the car disconnected for say 4-5 months ? (Like while parked over winter storage)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Lithium batteries do not discharge at all when disconnected. They can sit for a year or two.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nanook
So Scott would there be any harm in the battery sitting in the car disconnected for say 4-5 months ? (Like while parked over winter storage)
As Randy said the Lithium Batteries can hold a charge over a year, (and actually longer) but I say to check a Lithium every 6 months, just to verify. But there would be no worries for battery 4 to 5 months sitting disconnected.

The broader issue is if you disconnect you Car for 6 months.... I don't know if everything gets lost in the ECU setting or other computer settings. I think there are some power supplies in the Car System that do keep settings for a little while even if the battery is removed for a few days... But I do not want to give advice on leaving a Porsche Disconnected for a couple months. I am not knowledgeable enough on stating what the terms of a long term disconnected from the vehicle itself will do. But the battery will be completely fine.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Better to throw a trickle charger on it than disconnect it, but the battery can handle it.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Good advice...
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

Any opinion on the necessity to have the dealer do a “reset“ after putting a new battery in?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:44 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Any opinion on the necessity to have the dealer do a “reset“ after putting a new battery in?
I've been researching this and the general conclusion is that it is unnecessary if you are replacing it with an AGM battery. BTW i follows your recommendation and am getting an aftermarket battery from batteries plus installed today. They had a 20% off promo so it's only $187 installed!

If you get a Lithium battery I'm not sure. Randy hasn't coded his and has no issues. Others say there is a risk the ECU will provide too much current to a Lithium battery unless it is coded.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 02-15-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I've been researching this and the general conclusion is that it is unnecessary if you are replacing it with an AGM battery. BTW i follows your recommendation and am getting an aftermarket battery from batteries plus installed today. They had a 20% off promo so it's only $187 installed!

If you get a Lithium battery I'm not sure. Randy hasn't coded his and has no issues. Other day there is a risk the ECU will provide too much current to a Lithium battery unless it is coded.
Right, no need to have the dealer do anything if you are just swapping the battery with another. For Lithium, I will have the dealer reprogram it, telling the car's computers that the Porsche Lithium is installed, when I have the first oil change at 1000 miles in a few weeks. No rush, but I will have it done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to replace battery