Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need to replace battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:36 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Need to replace battery

I need a new battery in my my 2014 Turbo S. I’m intrigued by the new lithium batteries but since my car has another 18 months of CPO left I may just get OEM.

Dealer is quoting me $620.

Could I instead just buy this and install it myself?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/AGMBATTERY.html

Or is there some programming or code reset work needed?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

If you want, just run down to the local auto parts store and get a nice H6 (also known as Type 48) battery. It's a bit smaller than the OEM for the TTS, but it's the same size that comes in the GT2 RS and GT3 RS, and fits directly in a second set of anchor points already in the car. It's a perfect fit and clamps down easily with the same hardware that holds down the TTS regular battery (just one bolt goes in a different slot). It should be around $199. I used that size in my car to cut some weight before I went to Lithium. If you were in the Arctic circle, you might want to go with the original size H8 again, but not in Atlanta. Also, the stock H8 battery is also in stock at your local auto parts store. There is nothing special or magical about the Banner batteries that Porsche uses, except they are probably the low bidder.

As for programing, no programing unless you go to Lithium, and you don't even need to rush over to get that programming done when the time comes. The programming just puts the car in a deeper sleep, so it can sit in the garage longer between uses. I've had no problem getting 5-6 weeks out of the lithium battery while sitting, and I expect it could go 8 weeks after the programming.

CPO does not require you use a Banner battery, by the way.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Randyc151
If you want, just run down to the local auto parts store and get a nice H6 (also known as Type 48) battery. It's a bit smaller than the OEM for the TTS, but it's the same size that comes in the GT2 RS and GT3 RS, and fits directly in a second set of anchor points already in the car. It's a perfect fit and clamps down easily with the same hardware that holds down the TTS regular battery (just one bolt goes in a different slot). It should be around $199. I used that size in my car to cut some weight before I went to Lithium. If you were in the Arctic circle, you might want to go with the original size H8 again, but not in Atlanta. Also, the stock H8 battery is also in stock at your local auto parts store. There is nothing special or magical about the Banner batteries that Porsche uses, except they are probably the low bidder.

As for programing, no programing unless you go to Lithium, and you don't even need to rush over to get that programming done when the time comes. The programming just puts the car in a deeper sleep, so it can sit in the garage longer between uses. I've had no problem getting 5-6 weeks out of the lithium battery while sitting, and I expect it could go 8 weeks after the programming.

Interesting. Thanks Randy for that advice. So you are basically saying go DIY forget the dealer, and its okay to buy third party.

And you're certain I can use any battery I want without messing with CPO? I ask because I have already had to replace the PCM once so I don't want them to turn me down if I have another issue with that.

Is Lithium really worth it? Also what is the weight of the OEM battery.

And what do you think of this?
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ that's awesome info right there !
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

The OEM H8 battery is 52!! pounds. If your dealer REQUIRES the Banner battery, they are not following CPO guidelines - find another dealer in town, because you are getting scammed. That's like saying you have to use Porsche tires or gasoline. My dealer had no issue from a warranty perspective with my change to the Lithium battery, and it looks to me like AntiGravity is the way to go. I used a Braille battery (in size H6) and its been great, but it was hella money compared to the AG, which has way more features.

Here's the battery swap thread, started by some jackhat! https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...y-install.html
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151

Great info!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd be all over that new AG 30AH
Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
I'd be all over that new AG 30AH
Same, I think that is indeed the sweet spot.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

FYI: OEM battery from suncoastparts is $345 + shipping
Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
FYI: OEM battery from suncoastparts is $345 + shipping
With shipping to Atlanta it comes to $411.

So choices are:
$681 OEM at Dealer
$411 OEM from SUNCOAST
$311 Afternarket Deka Battery
$750 Antigravity battery with restart
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
With shipping to Atlanta it comes to $411.

So choices are:
$681 OEM at Dealer
$411 OEM from SUNCOAST
$311 Afternarket Deka Battery
$750 Antigravity battery with restart
Advance Auto is $199. I guess you have some options. We're on pins and needles as to what happens next!!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

If you're selling the car or turning it in in less than a year, that Advance Auto deal sounds just about right.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
If you're selling the car or turning it in in less than a year, that Advance Auto deal sounds just about right.
I'd be all over that deal regardless of an impending sale. i cant imagine there'd be any impact to anything..
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

i agree the cheapest DIY sourced local will work just fine.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I replaced mine in my last 911 myself without an issue. I used a Bosch from pep boys.

Quick Reply: Need to replace battery