Need to replace battery - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Need to replace battery

 
Old 02-15-2019, 11:24 AM
  #31  
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Antigravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 418
Default

Originally Posted by neil.schneider View Post
Any opinion on the necessity to have the dealer do a “reset“ after putting a new battery in?
As Randy and Stealth touched on, it can be swapped and not have any issues which is what we've experienced but below you'll find a little bit more on our stance from another thread of ours and includes what Porsche has had to say,


Last edited by Antigravity; 02-15-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Antigravity is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:06 PM
  #32  
onfireTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by Antigravity View Post
As Randy and Stealth touched on, it can be swapped and not have any issues which is what we've experienced but below you'll find a little bit more on our stance from another thread of ours and includes what Porsche has had to say,

I’m still undecided on a reprogram. Other opinions agree with you that it’s not necessary.
onfireTTS is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 PM
  #33  
stealthpilot
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
stealthpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,011
Default

My original battery seems to be performing better now. After 7 days on the battery tender it is fully charged. Drove the car a few times today and it started without hesitation.

Will cancel my battery order from Batteries Plus for now and stay tuned to the early user experiences for the antigravity battery. I think that's the direction I want to go.
stealthpilot is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM
  #34  
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 270
Default

I decided to go with an interstate H8 battery, installed at a local indy shop for $300, however after installing it they could not clear a "fault code", so they picked up a Porsche H8 at the dealer and installed it, and were able to clear the fault code, battery was $600 installed. Not sure what the fault code was, but apparently my car requires a Porsche battery?
Elliott991TS is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 PM
  #35  
stealthpilot
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
stealthpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,011
Default

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
I decided to go with an interstate H8 battery, installed at a local indy shop for $300, however after installing it they could not clear a "fault code", so they picked up a Porsche H8 at the dealer and installed it, and were able to clear the fault code, battery was $600 installed. Not sure what the fault code was, but apparently my car requires a Porsche battery?
That's odd. I know people have installed the Bosch and Duracell AGM batteries with no issues. Was the battery you bought an AGM battery?
stealthpilot is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 PM
  #36  
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 270
Default

Originally Posted by stealthpilot View Post
That's odd. I know people have installed the Bosch and Duracell AGM batteries with no issues. Was the battery you bought an AGM battery?
no, the interstate H8 battery was not an AGM battery
Elliott991TS is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:56 PM
  #37  
stealthpilot
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
stealthpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,011
Default

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
no, the interstate H8 battery was not an AGM battery
That was probably the issue.
stealthpilot is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 AM
  #38  
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 270
Default

Originally Posted by stealthpilot View Post
That was probably the issue.
please explain
Elliott991TS is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 AM
  #39  
stealthpilot
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
stealthpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,011
Default

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
please explain
https://www.germanautocenter.com/blo...es-made-equal/

The point is that these cars are designed for AGM batteries and also probably for Lithium since the software has a setting for Lithium.

But conventional lead acid batteries may pose problems due to the less clean power supply as described in this article. Not saying this is the cause of the error code, but it is a possibility.
stealthpilot is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 AM
  #40  
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 270
Default

Originally Posted by stealthpilot View Post
https://www.germanautocenter.com/blo...es-made-equal/

The point is that these cars are designed for AGM batteries and also probably for Lithium since the software has a setting for Lithium.

But conventional lead acid batteries may pose problems due to the less clean power supply as described in this article. Not saying this is the cause of the error code, but it is a possibility.
interesting, I did not know this, thank you
Elliott991TS is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: