Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:29 PM
chronon
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

I’m trying to get the best possible quality and wondering what others are doing. So far, I believe I get the best quality streaming Tidal through a cable via CarPlay. I tried using sd cards with files at cd quality (1411 kbps) but per attached info from manual I think the system may be lowering the quality to 320 kbps which is a noticeable difference. I would rather run my files through an sd card or drive so I don’t have to plug in the phone every time. I welcome any ideas!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:42 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I played FLAC files at a range of resolutions (usually 24 bit 48kHz) and had no issue. But like you suggest, that doesn’t mean it keeps it that way. Perhaps their input processor has a DAC acting as a bottleneck.

My last personally built car stereo sounded quite a bit better than the Burm system but it was a full active system with TA and mic based auto-eq tuning. And it was probably $3-4k in components despite not being anything top of the line. So I guess I thought Burm was nice but not otherworldly good and my expectations caused me to treat it more as a nice stereo than an audiophile sanctuary.

If you want to emphasize the GT traits of the car you could add some MLV/dynamat to quiet the tire roar and really improve the dynamic range of the system. I couldn’t bring myself to add the weight, but I’m sure it would have had a huge positive impact on the stereo system performance and my wife’s enjoyment riding in the car.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM
chronon
Instructor

Originally Posted by ace37
I played FLAC files at a range of resolutions (usually 24 bit 48kHz) and had no issue. But like you suggest, that doesn’t mean it keeps it that way. Perhaps their input processor has a DAC acting as a bottleneck.
Did you try using carplay and if so, did you notice any difference? As you indicate, my suspicion is that the porsche DAC has a 320k limitation, so while it reads the files, the quality is not the best. My guess is that If I use Tidal with carplay, I am using the iphone DAC which, while not outstanding, does seem to have a noticeable difference to my ears (mainly in the form of higher dynamic range, lower bass notes and higher trebles).
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chronon
Did you try using carplay and if so, did you notice any difference? As you indicate, my suspicion is that the porsche DAC has a 320k limitation, so while it reads the files, the quality is not the best. My guess is that If I use Tidal with carplay, I am using the iphone DAC which, while not outstanding, does seem to have a noticeable difference to my ears (mainly in the form of higher dynamic range, lower bass notes and higher trebles).
Yes, and no. Usually I used an SD cars with FLAC files though.

Reading the manual section you posted, it looks like that may apply only to the mp3 file format. You might do an experiment. Check a sensitive audio file in 320 mp3 format and then go back to back with the same track in CD quality or better using SD/USB/CarPlay. (Pink Floyd is good for that!) I liked CarPlay but don’t like to need to plug it in every time.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM
trevorlj
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

We talking 991.1 (PCM 3.1) or 991.2?

About to geek out here...hold onto your hats!

While everything at the house is FLAC I have a duplicate library of AAC/M4A ripped with QAAC using the iTunes encoder inside of dBpoweramp's CD Ripper for CD's. I keep my distance from Apple but iTunes's encoder is as good as it gets at ~320 kbps / Constrained Variable Bit Rate (cVBR). I use JRiver Media Center 24 with the same encoder/settings to squash my (non-brickwalled) Hi-Res digital library down to 44.1/48 KHz files (PCM 3.1 plays either sample rate). I just use the CD rip version if it has better Dynamic Range.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

Last edited by trevorlj; 02-11-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:41 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by trevorlj

While everything at the house is FLAC I have a duplicate library of AAC/M4A ripped with QAAC using the iTunes encoder inside of dBpoweramp's CD Ripper for CD's. I keep my distance from Apple but iTunes's encoder is as good as it gets at ~320 kbps / Constrained Variable Bit Rate (cVBR). I use JRiver Media Center 24 with the same encoder/settings to squash my (non-brickwalled) Hi-Res digital library down to 44.1/48 KHz files (PCM 3.1 plays either sample rate). I just use the CD rip version if it has better Dynamic Range.
haha, wow, no more 8 track? lol
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 AM
chronon
Instructor

Yes, and no. Usually I used an SD cars with FLAC files though.

Reading the manual section you posted, it looks like that may apply only to the mp3 file format. You might do an experiment. Check a sensitive audio file in 320 mp3 format and then go back to back with the same track in CD quality or better using SD/USB/CarPlay. (Pink Floyd is good for that!) I liked CarPlay but don’t like to need to plug it in every time.
I will do that test. Note that per the manual
it seems that the 320kbps apples to ALL file formats, not just mp3s. As you suggest, it seems that while the car can read all formats, the dac is only good for up to 320kbps.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 AM
chronon
Instructor

Originally Posted by trevorlj
We talking 991.1 (PCM 3.1) or 991.2?

About to geek out here...hold onto your hats!

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm
this is for a 991.2 2017 car. Am I understanding that you use the CD player to play you files after you convert them as described? I’m looking for a solution where I can use a sd cards or flash drive but per the manual those may only playback st 320kbps rehardness of what format or sampling rate was used. I’m thinking that another option could be to buy an old 160gb iPod and load apple lossless files. Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I wish I could be like you guys....but even though I have BM option, I don't use it. I just enjoy the sounds, smell and g's of the car so immensely that I just don't want to get distracted by anything not generated by the car mechanicals.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
I wish I could be like you guys....but even though I have BM option, I don't use it. I just enjoy the sounds, smell and g's of the car so immensely that I just don't want to get distracted by anything not generated by the car mechanicals.
I always find that the right audio track enhances an emotional experience or creates a new one in its own right

and acoustics are quite mechanical! 😉
The following users liked this post:
Paliknight (08-30-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I copied all my CD's via iTunes lossless. I also disconnected the center speaker in the dash. However I disassembled the doors and added Dynomat and mass loaded vinyl between the inner skins. That made the biggest difference, before the road noise was coming from everywhere, now it all comes from the rear. The Turbo S has more than enough power that I can't even tell the added weight. I now hear notes that I never heard beforehand the bass is much stronger and clearer. It made such a difference that I plan to remove the entire rear interior and apply the dynomat and mass loaded vinyl to the rear area.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:12 PM
chronon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I copied all my CD's via iTunes lossless. I also disconnected the center speaker in the dash. However I disassembled the doors and added Dynomat and mass loaded vinyl between the inner skins. That made the biggest difference, before the road noise was coming from everywhere, now it all comes from the rear. The Turbo S has more than enough power that I can't even tell the added weight. I now hear notes that I never heard beforehand the bass is much stronger and clearer. It made such a difference that I plan to remove the entire rear interior and apply the dynomat and mass loaded vinyl to the rear area.
I have a couple questions -
-Once you copied CDs via itunes lossless, did you run them via sd card?
-what is to mass load vinyl between the inner skins? I know of dynomat but had never heard that term.
-Why did you disconnect the center speaker?

Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I always find that the right audio track enhances an emotional experience or creates a new one in its own right

and acoustics are quite mechanical! 😉
Good point....lol...as a mechanical engineer by training i should have known that
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM
chronon
Instructor

Default UPDATED RESULTS

So the question was driving me crazy and decided to do a test with the following variables:
USB with 320k files
USB with 1411k files (apple lossless)
Aux with Pono player 1411k files (apple lossless)
CD
CarPlay with Tidal at CD quality 1411k

I tested the following bands to have a range of dynamic range: Bjork (debut), Pink Floyd (Dark side of the moon), Supertramp (Best of).
Here are my conclusions:

#1 Best Overall - CarPlay w/tidal connected via cable. Dynamic range is great and bass is punchier than all other options (very noticeable). It does not perform as well as CD on very high notes but it is certainly more convenient. 9/10

#2 CD - As expected sound is very balanced. There is very little difference vs Tidal via carplay. It excels on high notes (eg harmonica on logical song by supertramp) but I am not about to start carrying all my CDs in the car. 8/10

#3 Pono Player via Aux - overall good sound but you can hear a bit of hiss on quiet parts. The problem is that since it is going into aux you cannot control via car screen. 7/10

#4 USB - OK sound and, as predicted, there is NO difference in 320k files vs 1411 apple lossless files. It seems that as per the manual, the car maximum resolution is 320k (As an analogy to those not as familiar audio, it is like playing 4k DVD on a black and white TV.....the images will be black and white no matter how good is your source). 5/10

Hope this helps others to get the most out of their system.

The following 2 users liked this post by chronon:
4flynlow (09-12-2019), TurboS_GG (08-27-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:36 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get pilot sports 4s instead of the pZeros for less noise. Best investment alternative
The following users liked this post:
0luke1 (09-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?