Sponsored by: Road Spy

Do88 Plenum and Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Do88 Plenum and Y-pipe

Has anyone had experience with the do88 plenum & y-pipe vs IPD plenum & y-pipe? Wondering if there's a big difference between them and IPD. I can't find too much info on the 991 TT/S application besides their claims and dyno charts.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

No one?!?!?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

From what I've been told by experienced tuners on my last Turbo, the IPD plenum doesn't any significant gain. I don't have any actual feedback on the Y-Pipe, but take my advice, these cars are extremely fast. You'll never use all of its power stock.
But if you want to venture for a more competent increase in HP and performance try a tune by a qualified tech. We have several advertisers right here on this board. Sam by Design seems to be very popular. Otherwise put good investment in your tires and perhaps an exhaust upgrade along with driver's education. Hope this helps.

Jay
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM
wirx
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I think all this plenum stuff is quite a like hocus-pocus for cars with stock turbos. But at least do88 says they plenum is better, than IPD. What I know exactly - it's much cheaper
https://www.do88.se/.../porsche-991-turbo-2013-plenum.html

At moment my car is in service to install all that stuff below. But because I ordered intercoolers too, I can't tell how much plenum and Y pipe helps, neither I have no data for IPD comparison.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

I would have to pull the dyno sheets but I believe the IPD plenum & y-pipe added about 15 whp, never compared anything else because IPD is what everyone I talked to recommend
Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
I would have to pull the dyno sheets but I believe the IPD plenum & y-pipe added about 15 whp, never compared anything else because IPD is what everyone I talked to recommend
With or without a tune? That comes out to a little over $130 per 1HP. Given the small impact with stock turbos, I have to believe the less expensive DO88 pieces can’t do any worse. Of course they don’t have the dimples...;-(
Old 02-13-2019, 12:41 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hcvone
Originally Posted by DJ23
From what I've been told by experienced tuners on my last Turbo, the IPD plenum doesn't any significant gain. I don't have any actual feedback on the Y-Pipe, but take my advice, these cars are extremely fast. You'll never use all of its power stock.
But if you want to venture for a more competent increase in HP and performance try a tune by a qualified tech. We have several advertisers right here on this board. Sam by Design seems to be very popular. Otherwise put good investment in your tires and perhaps an exhaust upgrade along with driver's education. Hope this helps.

Jay
Originally Posted by wirx
I think all this plenum stuff is quite a like hocus-pocus for cars with stock turbos. But at least do88 says they plenum is better, than IPD. What I know exactly - it's much cheaper
https://www.do88.se/.../porsche-991-turbo-2013-plenum.html

At moment my car is in service to install all that stuff below. But because I ordered intercoolers too, I can't tell how much plenum and Y pipe helps, neither I have no data for IPD comparison.
Originally Posted by Ttz06vette

With or without a tune? That comes out to a little over $130 per 1HP. Given the small impact with stock turbos, I have to believe the less expensive DO88 pieces can’t do any worse. Of course they don’t have the dimples...;-(
My thoughts exactly. Even with a tune they don't yield any increase?

Given that Do88 BigPack package is much cheaper overall than the competition, I am considering doing everything altogether. Why is buying car stuff so addictive????
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aft86
My thoughts exactly. Even with a tune they don't yield any increase?

Given that Do88 BigPack package is much cheaper overall than the competition, I am considering doing everything altogether. Why is buying car stuff so addictive????
Other way to look at it is that Porsche did a damn good job with the hardware from the factory. Obviously like most automakers they are conservative in tuning from the factory just because of the varied operating environments the cars are driven in such as altitude, octane available, emissions and gas mileage, competitive driving, etc. They strive for the balance between longevity and performance. I can see where a more aggressive tune coupled with more efficient flow between intake and exhaust..as well as reduced intake temperature with larger intercoolers can be part of a systematic upgrade. Have to believe the y pipes and plenums alone however don't give you much in terms of bang for the buck over OEM.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aft86
Has anyone had experience with the do88 plenum & y-pipe vs IPD plenum & y-pipe? Wondering if there's a big difference between them and IPD. I can't find too much info on the 991 TT/S application besides their claims and dyno charts.
Speak to Ken at Nine Excellence in the UK. He has fitted the full do88 big pack to a 991.2 turbo S with great results. 0-60mph in 2.2s, 0-100mph in 4.9s, including other mods
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM
wirx
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

It was quick, I ordered those intercoolers, Y pipe and plenum last week from www.Do88.se and now they are installed. Only bad thing is - there is still snow everywhere and I can't use those extra horses.
All parts fits correctly and were good quality. As you see, intercoolers, hoses, plenum and Y pipe all are larger than stock.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wirx
It was quick, I ordered those intercoolers, Y pipe and plenum last week from www.Do88.se and now they are installed. Only bad thing is - there is still snow everywhere and I can't use those extra horses.
All parts fits correctly and were good quality. As you see, intercoolers, hoses, plenum and Y pipe all are larger than stock.

Thanks for the pics and comparison. Did you do intake hoses as well? Let us know Your impressions when you can drive the car.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

The do88 kit does look like an improvement. How much is the question, I suppose.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:42 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

I doubt there's any difference between the vendors except the price point. I would definitely do the Y pipe and plenum from my testing with higher boost.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Payam_BMS
I doubt there's any difference between the vendors except the price point. I would definitely do the Y pipe and plenum from my testing with higher boost.
Higher boost from tune or higher boost from upgraded turbos?
Honestly at the Lower price point of this system there is little downside if you are into the engine compartment that far for ECU removal or cooler upgrade to replace the Y and plenum as well. The fact that there is more of a divider in these units for airflow vs. hitting a flat wall in the stock unit seems like air should flow somewhat better. Not sure if larger diameter is better or worse for low end response.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM
hardingsjohny
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all this plenum stuff is quite a like hocus-pocus for cars with stock turbos. What I know exactly - it's much cheaper read here

Quick Reply: Do88 Plenum and Y-pipe