Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

To minthral, although I cannot speak for anyone other than myself, I would say that personalizing one's car through mods is the real answer to the question. Whether someone is drawn to aftermarket wheels to enhance the look of the car, lightweight performance parts to increase performance marginally (or to change sound in case of exhaust), or interior dress up to enhance the feeling when inside the car, people just like to modify and personalize their cars in general. For weight weenies like myself, that is most satisfying when we are removing weight from cars, but there is a continuum of doing so where it's either small results or something much more significant. I'd say nearly all of us would leave any 991 TTS largely alone in order to protect that big investment, not to mention it's so fast and good as it ships.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Can't wait for your car also Robert!

Big...Things are happening over here today! DHL things!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 PM
arkadyzv
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS

I’ll take a look at BBS. I’ve used Vossen and HRE in the past but it sounds like BBS is a solid option. Nothing against AntiGravity, but I’ve had bad luck in the past with the “Newer Kid on The Block”. I’ve used Braille for over 10 years without a failure. Porsche Racing uses Braille along with a lot of other racing teams. Swept the podium at 24h. I have an 18lb Lithium that I’ll start with. It’s a little heavier than necessary, but also has 56ah of storage.

Another vote for the BBS FI-R's, thats the weight difference between stock 20' centerlocks and them.

As far as the light battery option, this is the best I've seen, not cheap, but the weight savings are insane. I've seen and held it in person.

https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/

Seat wise, the best I've seen are these.

https://technocraft.myshopify.com/pr...arge-available
Old 02-11-2019, 06:20 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by arkadyzv

Another vote for the BBS FI-R's, thats the weight difference between stock 20' centerlocks and them.

As far as the light battery option, this is the best I've seen, not cheap, but the weight savings are insane. I've seen and held it in person.

https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox...nd-motorsport/

Seat wise, the best I've seen are these.

https://technocraft.myshopify.com/pr...arge-available
Love the BBS looks and weight pics ! Excellent !
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Since my build went to V260 last Thursday , time to start planning mods and weight loss.

Searched for part weights on here and 6Speed. Plus the Official Porsche Turbo S pdf.

Porsche lists the base Curb weight of a Turbo S at 3,528 lbs. No options. Car and Driver scaled one at 3,571 lbs non sunroof car with less than a full tank of fuel. Must have been a very low option car on fumes.

I ordered my car with as few weight options as I could stand to make it a "lightweight". I'm very curious what it will weigh with a full tank of fuel on my Intercomps. I was hoping for 3,599lbs but doubt that now. No sunroof, FAL, Burmester (Porsche pdf claims the Bose is 13lbs lighter due to one Amp vs two), no seat cooling.

Weight loss plans so far:

Stock exhaust = 58lbs. Kline Inconel (On my scales) = 19lbs = 39lb loss.
Rear seats = 22lbs (6Speed) = 22lb loss
Stock battery 54lbs (Thanks to Randyc151) Braille Lithium that I have is 18 lbs. = 34lb loss.

Those three combined will drop 95lbs. Fairly significant.

Potenial future weight loss:
Stock front wheel = 23lbs. HRE LW101 = 17lbs
Stock rear wheel = 27lbs. HRE LW101 = 21lbs.
Another 24 lbs total and it's a bonus rotational weight loss.

Stock Front Seat with heat/cooling = 63lbs.
I'm not going to one piece seats like I have in another car. Potentially it would save 80lbs.
Hopefully, no cooling fans/wiring saved 5 lbs per seat for a 10lb loss.

Any other weight loss suggestions ?
- The stock exhaust weight is a little off, my 2015 Stock exhaust with exhaust tips in Black and the 2 800-cell catalytic converters weighed 49 lbs.

- My Tubi Muffler with Sport Cats (200-cell cats) and tips: 37.84 lbs

- My Kline Inconel X-pipe (their lightest and most expensive muffler) weighed a little under 15 lbs brand new, tips are already welded with the 997 GT2 RS style.

- Stock Battery: 58.6 lbs

- The two plastic tool covers with their tools: 6 lbs

- The stock LEft header: 8.14 lbs, the right one 7.74.

- My Kline Inconel Headers: Left: 3.68 lbs (mega light), Right: 3.64 lbs.

- Stock 20"x9" front wheel and PZero 245/35R20: 47 lbs

- Stock 20"x11.5" rear wheel and PZero 305/30R20: 55 lbs

- There are a little over 10 lbs of windshield washer fluid

- 4 floor mats with leather border: 5.3 lbs

- I run a 2010 GT3 RS Lithium battery for time trials and timed laps: 11.3 lbs

- My stock seats weighed 64 lbs each, I have Bourdeaux Sport 18-way memory seats, cooled and heated (and ventilated). I was attempting to install the 2016 GT3 RS Carbon buckets, only to find problems with the wiring harness, those Carbon Buckets are super heavy too (all look) 35 and 38 lbs.

On my car I saved a little over 170 lbs (plus another 90 lbs on fuel, as I run it low for competitive events). I converted the suspension to height adjustable coil-overs, made modifications to the springs to get my intended ride height and rake, the handling advantage is massive. The last time I ran this car competitively in a group of nearly 80 cars at the same track and conditions, 2nd,3rd,4th places overall were separated by 0.3 secs, the gap from 2nd to 1st was close to 3 secs (2.8 secs). The previous month with my 991.1 GT3 RS (also lighter than stock) on same wheels and tires, I was fighting harder for 1st place, the TTS makes it easy.

I played a few months back with a ProAm racer in a customer's Aventador SV, the Lamborghini on Trofeo R tires and my TTS on Trofeo R tires as well, I lapped Palm Beach Intl Raceway 3 secs faster than the SV, and was just 2 secs behind my fastest lap there (a 1:21.4) which I ran in this same car on fresh Hoosier tires and my track wheels (19" Forgeline 9.5" front and 12" rear). My best lap with my old 991.1 GT3 RS on the same Hoosiers was a 1:22.8, I'm heading there next month with the 2019 GT3 RS to see what it can do (same tires again), but I doubt it would touch 1:21s. Advantage: 991.1 Turbo S.

I have seen 991 GT3 RS on the scales weighing more than my 991 TTS, most people don't realize that adding a big fire bottle, double harnesses, a rollbar, steel brakes (because PCCB are too expensive for track use), running on a nearly full tank of fuel, and you're 250+ lbs on extra weight.

Light cars are more fun than heavy cars, always.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by A/S
- The stock exhaust weight is a little off, my 2015 Stock exhaust with exhaust tips in Black and the 2 800-cell catalytic converters weighed 49 lbs.

- My Tubi Muffler with Sport Cats (200-cell cats) and tips: 37.84 lbs

- My Kline Inconel X-pipe (their lightest and most expensive muffler) weighed a little under 15 lbs brand new, tips are already welded with the 997 GT2 RS style.

- Stock Battery: 58.6 lbs

- The two plastic tool covers with their tools: 6 lbs

- The stock LEft header: 8.14 lbs, the right one 7.74.

- My Kline Inconel Headers: Left: 3.68 lbs (mega light), Right: 3.64 lbs.

- Stock 20"x9" front wheel and PZero 245/35R20: 47 lbs

- Stock 20"x11.5" rear wheel and PZero 305/30R20: 55 lbs

- There are a little over 10 lbs of windshield washer fluid

- 4 floor mats with leather border: 5.3 lbs

- I run a 2010 GT3 RS Lithium battery for time trials and timed laps: 11.3 lbs

- My stock seats weighed 64 lbs each, I have Bourdeaux Sport 18-way memory seats, cooled and heated (and ventilated). I was attempting to install the 2016 GT3 RS Carbon buckets, only to find problems with the wiring harness, those Carbon Buckets are super heavy too (all look) 35 and 38 lbs.

On my car I saved a little over 170 lbs (plus another 90 lbs on fuel, as I run it low for competitive events). I converted the suspension to height adjustable coil-overs, made modifications to the springs to get my intended ride height and rake, the handling advantage is massive. The last time I ran this car competitively in a group of nearly 80 cars at the same track and conditions, 2nd,3rd,4th places overall were separated by 0.3 secs, the gap from 2nd to 1st was close to 3 secs (2.8 secs). The previous month with my 991.1 GT3 RS (also lighter than stock) on same wheels and tires, I was fighting harder for 1st place, the TTS makes it easy.

I played a few months back with a ProAm racer in a customer's Aventador SV, the Lamborghini on Trofeo R tires and my TTS on Trofeo R tires as well, I lapped Palm Beach Intl Raceway 3 secs faster than the SV, and was just 2 secs behind my fastest lap there (a 1:21.4) which I ran in this same car on fresh Hoosier tires and my track wheels (19" Forgeline 9.5" front and 12" rear). My best lap with my old 991.1 GT3 RS on the same Hoosiers was a 1:22.8, I'm heading there next month with the 2019 GT3 RS to see what it can do (same tires again), but I doubt it would touch 1:21s. Advantage: 991.1 Turbo S.

I have seen 991 GT3 RS on the scales weighing more than my 991 TTS, most people don't realize that adding a big fire bottle, double harnesses, a rollbar, steel brakes (because PCCB are too expensive for track use), running on a nearly full tank of fuel, and you're 250+ lbs on extra weight.

Light cars are more fun than heavy cars, always.
Excellent data. Thanks for sharing ! Never thought about 10lbs of washer fluid. Nice catch.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

If you prefer aftermarket wheels or exhaust that's personal preference, but for street use, there is no need to change anything for weight savings because the car is perfectly fine as it is.. I can think a lot better use for $$ than weight reduction for street use only.

For track or autocross use- titanium or inconel exhaust system, lightweight race seats, and lithium battery are ok, but 19" lightweight wheels with R compound tires will give you by far the most bang for the buck because that is unsprung weight reduction that can dramatically help the lap times.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
...Light cars are more fun than heavy cars, always.
Preach on my brother!

Old 02-12-2019, 04:44 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

I love the BBS F-IR's as well. Another great option is the HRE R101LW. TTS and GT3 20'' applications weight 17/20 lbs and they are fully customizable. We did 6 sets in Dec and everyone loves them. It has been proven to improve the driving/performance experience 100%
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I think you’ve addressed most of the low hanging fruit. Tires, wheels, brakes, seats, sunroof, battery, complete exhaust system, fluids, and very few and selective options in the build. Plus power adders for fun.

This is over the line to way past it, but you could remove the entire interior and front/rear trunk liners, strip everything you’re willing to (even including seam sealers), then (reseal, recoat, and) reupholster. You could even thin out and swiss cheese some of the metal panels. Open up the doors, chuck the door cards and delete whatever else you like. Thin Alcantara on light frames can replace carpet everywhere but the floor and look good. Remove and replace the sound deadening to your taste. Entertainment system delete maybe. I’d say AC delete but let’s not get off the reservation lol. Carbon body (or at least fiberglass), replace steel bits with aluminum, change heat and environmental shielding out for lighter options.... If you want to go crazy you can, and it would be pretty cool and give you a lot of internet points from people like us. (First 991 TTS under 3000 lbs? ) And yeah it would be a whole lot of wasted time and money but then why buy a $200k DD anyway when a Camry can do the basic job just as well.

With mine I just had it optioned to be a nice DD and let the weight be whatever it turned out. I considered the easy/basic stuff already outlined and maybe a bit more but unfortunately I ended up not keeping it for long. I have a race car project and since getting it I’ve tried to focus my inclinations to modify cars on it - keeps my wife happier and the costs and compromises stay more contained.

Best of luck, and if you go pioneering please make a thread about it!
Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Since my build went to V260 last Thursday , time to start planning mods and weight loss.

Searched for part weights on here and 6Speed. Plus the Official Porsche Turbo S pdf.

Porsche lists the base Curb weight of a Turbo S at 3,528 lbs. No options. Car and Driver scaled one at 3,571 lbs non sunroof car with less than a full tank of fuel. Must have been a very low option car on fumes.

I ordered my car with as few weight options as I could stand to make it a "lightweight". I'm very curious what it will weigh with a full tank of fuel on my Intercomps. I was hoping for 3,599lbs but doubt that now. No sunroof, FAL, Burmester (Porsche pdf claims the Bose is 13lbs lighter due to one Amp vs two), no seat cooling.

Weight loss plans so far:

Stock exhaust = 58lbs. Kline Inconel (On my scales) = 19lbs = 39lb loss.
Rear seats = 22lbs (6Speed) = 22lb loss
Stock battery 54lbs (Thanks to Randyc151) Braille Lithium that I have is 18 lbs. = 34lb loss.

Those three combined will drop 95lbs. Fairly significant.

Potenial future weight loss:
Stock front wheel = 23lbs. HRE LW101 = 17lbs
Stock rear wheel = 27lbs. HRE LW101 = 21lbs.
Another 24 lbs total and it's a bonus rotational weight loss.

Stock Front Seat with heat/cooling = 63lbs.
I'm not going to one piece seats like I have in another car. Potentially it would save 80lbs.
Hopefully, no cooling fans/wiring saved 5 lbs per seat for a 10lb loss.

Any other weight loss suggestions ?
The R101 Lightweights are just about the perfect choice. I would love to work with you on nailing down the correct color & fitment.

And if you wanted to go really extreme with weight loss we can opt for the BBS Magnesium wheels which I have in-stock (only one in the U.S.).

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 02-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WheelsB

And if you wanted to go really extreme with weight loss we can opt for the BBS Magnesium wheels which I have in-stock (only one in the U.S.).
Woah, those magnesium wheels are OFF THE CHART light.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:49 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
They look killer too !
Old 02-27-2019, 12:06 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
They look killer too !
I can't find a wheel that is more lightweight. Perfect blend of forum AND function.

Quick Reply: 2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.