Sponsored by: Road Spy

Newbie Wannabe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie Wannabe Questions

Hello everyone - Finally getting ready to step up and get the car of my dreams. If it doesn't cost me my marriage, I'll be purchasing a 14 or 15 TTS hardtop. My question(s) is (are), what are the must have options? Is the Burmeister that much better since it narrows the field in terms of what's available. Entry and drive seems very handy but shouldn't be a dealbreaker (is there a button to start the car since you don't need the key?). What's the appeal of the glass roof (weight?). Seems like some have more leather surfaces than others or is this my imagination? Do I really care about the center wheel lock or is a regular 5 bolt fine? What are the must have items I really want? Thank you all for your help!!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

With the turbo S you get a fully loaded car and although there are options none of them are must have. Now if you were to buy a turbo you would have to put in options like the sport chrono ,led lights, PCCB. But again with the S trim there is no need. I have the Burmeister stereo in my car. I believe it is a nice upgrade but certainly not necessary. The center lock wheels are standard on this car. I have the 5 lug wheels, which I prefer, that is up to you. The entry and drive is nice but not mandatory. All in all, getting the “s” trim get you most if not all of the “must haves”. As far as the leather is concerned, the car comes with a tremendous amount of leather but of course you can put leather on many of the plastic trim pieces. I do not think this is a make or break option. Let us know how it goes. With regard to the glass sunroof. I believe it does add weight but it makes the car feel more open and spacious. That seems to be the main advantage. If you want to save weight then you would try to find a car that has no sunroof at all.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I have 14 TTS...I love the leather everywhere....The Burmeister is a waste for me since I mostly listen to the car with my after market exhaust/intake and tune. Sometimes listen to talk radio. This is my second centerlock car and while I love the look, its completely impractical. Would definitely prefer 5 lugs to making swapping wheels for the seasons easier, plus wheel options are so much more and so much cheaper. The one option I wish I had that I had on my 991 GT3 was the nose lift (which I also have on my Lambo)...it is the single most best option to me....makes you fearless to go anywhere. You don't need it if you don't plan on lowering the car however, If I had it I would definitely lower it....it looks so much better but since it is my daily driver I am leaving it as is because of Seattle roads....

Finally another must have is PCCBs...I first had it on my Lambo and now I will not buy a car without it (accept for my track car). Wheels remain clean all the time....real important for **** people like myself.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

One other thing if you are getting a 14 TT/TTS...make sure you have the backup camera option which was not standard.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lowpue
One other thing if you are getting a 14 TT/TTS...make sure you have the backup camera option which was not standard.
Good to know!! Thank you.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Ceramic brakes our standard on all S models. The back up camera is standard on the 2015 model I believe.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 422 Posts

My 15 has the 5 bolt wheels. With the center locks; if you get a flat, pretty much, your only option is to have it towed to a Porsche dealer. Very, very few tire shops have the ability to remove the wheel or the know how to remove and re-install the wheel. Some owners carry the torque wrench with them. But, for me, that was more hassle than I wanted to deal with. I have the Burmester, and I never listen to the radio. I have almost 3K songs in my jukebox (not available on the 14's IIRC). For me the Burmester is much better than the Bose, even if you upgrade the tweeters. I rejected any car with the glass roof, I think it detracts from the look of the car. Bottom line, get what you like, not what someone else likes. They are great cars in any configuration.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

There's no button to start - there's a fake key thats just in all the time. Turn it and voila. I love the Burmester. Nice part about this car, is you can go out to dinner and then cruise home in easy mode listening to great music.Or you can turn it off and put in sport mode and listen to the KLINE exhaust. I think the TT's need an exhaust upgrade. Little tame right out of the box. I also love the Cobb tune (PDK update too). Livens it up without sacrificing any daily driving capabilities. Its really a very versatile car and i still love it.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
... Bottom line, get what you like, not what someone else likes. They are great cars in any configuration.
This—-^

There are no must have options on the TurboS. On a “plain” Turbo there are, arguably, must have options. On a 991.1 (‘14-16) those are, in order of importance, IMO, Sport Chrono, PDCC. LEDs are nice. PCCB, meh. Burmester is nice if you care about music, not a must-have.

Good luck finding 5-lug wheels on a TurboS if you eschew the CLs. Same for the glass sunroof. Rare to find a Turbo (any flavor) without a glass roof and then they usually have the metal sunroof.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Thank you. Any fear of "getting the bugs out" of the '14 models? Should I hold out for a '15 or does it really not matter since they are virtually identical?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM
bitatasg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the look of the “aero kit” that I have on mine. I’m not impressed with the Burmester. Buy a CPO Turbo S, if you can.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Would you have any interest in 2017 991.2 TT ?
9500 miles
If so PM Me located in South Florida

Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 PM
chronon
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Burmester

For me the burmester was a key option. I heard it vs the Bose and there’s no comparison if you are into music. It took me a lot longer to fix the car though
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I’m a big fan of the Burmester system. By the way, the ‘14 does have the hard drive to store music, which is nice. I love center lock wheels. They look awesome, and they are very easy to change if you have the proper tools. While it’s true that you’ll need to get your car towed if you get a flat, this is true with 5-lug wheels also. The 991 doesn’t have a spare tire. I don’t mind the fact that it has to be towed to a Porsche dealer, as I really don’t want Bubba from the tire shop working on my car anyway.

If you go with the Turbo S, you really get all the “must have” options.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Prachatice
Intermediate

Beautiful car but I am looking for a TTS and I fear the cost of a '17 would cost me my marriage!

Quick Reply: Newbie Wannabe Questions