Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet/Coupe - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet/Coupe

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet/Coupe

Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 AM
pcarfanatic
New User

Default Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet/Coupe

Hey guys,
It's my first post here on Rennlist so go easy on me...I've been eyeing the Turbo S Exclusive Series market for a while now, and it seems that cars are holding steady at 350k but have been sold as high as $400k like that auction in Scottsdale. I've recently been offered a Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet allocation (with a 10k adm), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying.

The Cab's MSRP is about 10k more expensive than the Coupe; however, they're making less of them worldwide, though there'll be more Cabs in the US when they're done. My build would come in at $280k + $10k = $290k. Judging by how Coupe prices are going, should this be considered a smart buy? I've seen multiple examples with delivery mileage of coupes in the 350-370 range, and one at 325 with 2k miles on it.

I'm just trying to have some fun while making some money, but I don't want to make a stupid decision.
--Jeff
Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 AM
-eztrader-
Addict
Rennlist Member

Personally I think they're overpriced. Test drive some GT cars -you may be happier
Old 01-31-2019, 02:56 AM
CAlexio
Super User

Jeff, welcome. If you love the car in that configuration buy it, but I'm confused how you think you'll make money on it? all Porsche's barring a very rare few lose money, and these gold turbos are nothing special at all. Maybe if you hold on to it for a generation or more? Just buy something you like
Old 01-31-2019, 03:32 AM
Dot23RS
User

Worth msrp IF it had a different engine then a Turbo S. Or IF you love that gold/orange color. Or IF you already own an exclusive coupe/sedan.
donít get caught up in the alleged production numbers, they certainly wonít appreciate like GT will, if at all.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:55 AM
ssiminou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dot23RS View Post
Worth msrp IF it had a different engine then a Turbo S. Or IF you love that gold/orange color. Or IF you already own an exclusive coupe/sedan.
donít get caught up in the alleged production numbers, they certainly wonít appreciate like GT will, if at all.
I heard there is an option code (D97? I think) that changes the engine to that of a GT2 RS. Can anyone correlate this?

The OP has a good point though, values have been pretty steady at around 90k over (low end of market), couldn't he stand to make profit even if the market halved to 45k over?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 AM
Jimmy-D
Super User

Delete
Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Porschmich
User

Originally Posted by pcarfanatic View Post
Hey guys,
It's my first post here on Rennlist so go easy on me...I've been eyeing the Turbo S Exclusive Series market for a while now, and it seems that cars are holding steady at 350k but have been sold as high as $400k like that auction in Scottsdale. I've recently been offered a Turbo S Exclusive Series Cabriolet allocation (with a 10k adm), and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying.

The Cab's MSRP is about 10k more expensive than the Coupe; however, they're making less of them worldwide, though there'll be more Cabs in the US when they're done. My build would come in at $280k + $10k = $290k. Judging by how Coupe prices are going, should this be considered a smart buy? I've seen multiple examples with delivery mileage of coupes in the 350-370 range, and one at 325 with 2k miles on it.

I'm just trying to have some fun while making some money, but I don't want to make a stupid decision.
--Jeff
First off welcome. Have to agree with most reply's so far. In my opinion, and have have been buying Porsche cars since 1985, the Turbo S series is a exclusive car, more than most of the GT cars. Never buy a car to just make money unless you love it and know that this just might not happen. Seen the Scottsdale car and that probably happened only because two people REALLY wanted the car not because that is what the car is selling at.
I think if the prices on these cars stay high you would be better off looking at the coupes if you want to hold the value.
So I understand you want to have fun and make money. If you want to have fun you will probably want to drive the car which will lower the resale. So you either buy it and drive it and hope values stay high knowing
they will probably come down in the near future. But if you are going to hold it and let it just sit in the garage one day it might go up if the car has very low miles.. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM
928 GT R
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would not be buying any of Porsche's new offerings with the goal of appreciation. At present, there are over 400 used GT2 and GT3's sitting on dealer floors right now, many are RS's with delivery only miles, hundreds of others are for sale by private parties. When I picked up my Turbo Exclusive at Porsche of Nashua last week, there were two brand new GT2 RS's and one GT3 RS sitting on the showroom floor for sale. One of the GT2's was a customers "speculation" car and they wanted to get him $100k over sticker, but at the same time they made it clear that the customers "circumstances" had changed and an offer for less than that would be contemplated/accepted.

Two years ago I tried to buy a 911 R and could not hope to buy one for less than $450k. Times have changed and one just sold for $280k at auction and I could buy three more R's for $300k per car right now.

Saturation is the word for these great cars right now. Flipping a GT3 or Turbo Exclusive for much above list is a thing of the past in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:03 PM
rodsky
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader- View Post
Personally I think they're overpriced. Test drive some GT cars -you may be happier
And then again you may not be happier. Depends on what you like.

It seems like he is looking at this from a investment standpoint and GT cars are far from rare. 2300 and counting .2 GT3's in NA, thousands of RS .1 and .2 WW.. None of them will go up. 991's that is. R's are dropping.

If you are looking for car investments - you need to really know your stuff - and by the fact you are asking on a car forum on the internet, you probably dont. No offense. I am certainly no car collecting expert.

If u are looking for a fun car to drive that's unique and exclusive (and rare) - it will fit the bill. But i doubt you'll make $$. Unless you buy it at $10 over and sell immediately for $50 over.

Or you can buy a regular TT and mod it for half the price and it will be just as much fun
Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 PM
2016 gt3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Hey guys,

--Jeff
First off as the others have said it appears you are buying the car with appreciation in mind. These Cab exclusives right up front are not bringing the money the coupes were when first announced. so I' am not sure I would use the coupes as a guide,10k over is not bad but depending on where you live after fees if you we're to flip the car shortly after delivery you might not get your money back. None of us know your financial position and no one is asking but if your goal is as you say to "to have some fun while making some money" I would be very careful, there are no guarantees when it comes to these cars. I think the mindset you should have going into the purchase is well I really want to own this car and if at some time down the road if I could make some money that is fine ,but don't count on that happening.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 PM
pcarfanatic
New User

An updateóI was able to negotiate the adm down to 5. I would lease with Premier Financial so Iíd have like $5k drive off including first months payment, and Iím in it for 10k over. Coupes around 350, Cabís only have to be 20-25k over for me to make a happy profit while having the opportunity to drive the car around the block. A weird situation, but the profits would allow me to buy something I enjoy and can actual drive later on... thoughts?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member

An updateóI was able to negotiate the adm down to 5. I would lease with Premier Financial so Iíd have like $5k drive off including first months payment, and Iím in it for 10k over. Coupes around 350, Cabís only have to be 20-25k over for me to make a happy profit while having the opportunity to drive the car around the block. A weird situation, but the profits would allow me to buy something I enjoy and can actual drive later on... thoughts?
makes no sense to me even if you paid cash, let alone lease/finance
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
NightBlueTTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

i canít predict how, but I predict you lose money on the deal..I would not buy with appreciation in mind. If you really had an asset, then you should try to somehow sell your allocation. Other than that, I donít see it. Hope Iím wrong...

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 02-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 AM
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dreaming
Old 02-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Hvdv85
User

When in doubt...don't do it...
Curious what you would buy later on !

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: