991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Powder coating BBS FI-Rs wheels?

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Kisco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating BBS FI-Rs wheels?

Hi all,

I’ve been searching for a used set of BBS FI-Rs for my 991.1 TTS and the ones I’ve found are in Gold, but I want them in Black. I talked to a few people about powder coating them and a few are telling me these wheels should not be PC’d.

For the experienced out there, is there any harm done in PC’ing these BBS FI-Rs? I don’t see why they would be any different from PC’ing any other wheel?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,341 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Kisco
Hi all,

I’ve been searching for a used set of BBS FI-Rs for my 991.1 TTS and the ones I’ve found are in Gold, but I want them in Black. I talked to a few people about powder coating them and a few are telling me these wheels should not be PC’d.

For the experienced out there, is there any harm done in PC’ing these BBS FI-Rs? I don’t see why they would be any different from PC’ing any other wheel?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
We refinish a lot of these and have sets in stock we could accomodate you.

You should absolutely NOT powdercoat these wheels. They are engineering to be light and strong w a specific load rating.

Powdercoating can reduce structural integrity by up to 30%. Not a good idea

If you want to refinish the wheels we offer a liquid painting service and have done A LOT of BBS FI-R's....would be happy to show you some of work

Please feel free to email us! sales@supremepower.com

Thank you
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Not sure about that specific wheel, but if you do PC a wheel I would use a low temp set powder and a lower temp set oven to protect the aluminum strength. Some ovens are really too hot for wheels.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Kisco
Intermediate

I see. So painting them would be the way to go...
Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 PM
TeesTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Almost all of the better forged wheels are made from 6061-T6. This alloy is tempered (aged) at 350F for 6-10 hours to maximize strength. If you subject the alloy to higher temperatures, the alloy will lose strength. So typical powder coating will most likely be fired higher than 350F. As stated above, a lower firing PC would be ok, but I would recommend not exceeding 325F (remember that ovens/furnaces have temperature tolerances and may not be true relative to set temp unless calibrated and verified on a regular basis), and to be truly safe 300F is probably a better max temp.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Kisco
Intermediate

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Really it seems best to just find a set in the color I want and not mess with the finish which may bother the integrity of the wheel.

Thanks again fellas.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:09 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,341 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Kisco
Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Really it seems best to just find a set in the color I want and not mess with the finish which may bother the integrity of the wheel.

Thanks again fellas.
As long as you refinish properly w liquid paint you will be a-ok

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powder coating BBS FI-Rs wheels?