Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

New 2015 TTS owner

Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 2015 TTS owner

Just bought a 2015 TTS with 4K miles. The car is like brand new. For those who know, I have a couple of questions. I drove it from CA to our home in Tucson. I have to say that while I love the car, the road noise and jarring over road seams and bumps was unexpectedly harsh. Interestingly, during my walkthrough for the purchase, I engaged the PDDC on and off. The next day when I arrived in Tucson, I re-engaged and turned off the PDDC and the ride was noticeably immediately better. My questions. First, is it possible that the PDDC system did not turn off which is why the ride across to Tucson was so rough? Again, no question that turning it on and off again improved the ride. Second, while much much better, the ride is still pretty harsh over seams and bumps. Is this pretty typical for the TTS? It is not a problem at all, but just making sure nothing is wrong and the the PDDC system has totally turned off. Thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Just bought a 2015 TTS with 4K miles. The car is like brand new. For those who know, I have a couple of questions. I drove it from CA to our home in Tucson. I have to say that while I love the car, the road noise and jarring over road seams and bumps was unexpectedly harsh. Interestingly, during my walkthrough for the purchase, I engaged the PDDC on and off. The next day when I arrived in Tucson, I re-engaged and turned off the PDDC and the ride was noticeably immediately better. My questions. First, is it possible that the PDDC system did not turn off which is why the ride across to Tucson was so rough? Again, no question that turning it on and off again improved the ride. Second, while much much better, the ride is still pretty harsh over seams and bumps. Is this pretty typical for the TTS? It is not a problem at all, but just making sure nothing is wrong and the the PDDC system has totally turned off. Thanks
Congrats on the purchase and welcome! Post some pics and build spec if you can! We all love pics.

With regards to your question I believe in the 991.1 TTS the sport suspension button is labeled "PDDC" which is misleading. PDDC is ALWAYS active and is not disable-able. When you push the PDDC button you are putting the dampers in stiff track mode which is not great on regular roads. Hope that helps.

Matt
Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by mwlmd
Congrats on the purchase and welcome! Post some pics and build spec if you can! We all love pics.

With regards to your question I believe in the 991.1 TTS the sport suspension button is labeled "PDDC" which is misleading. PDDC is ALWAYS active and is not disable-able. When you push the PDDC button you are putting the dampers in stiff track mode which is not great on regular roads. Hope that helps.

Matt
Will definitely post pics, etc. once organized. Thanks for the comments on the PDDC. I was wondering if it is possible to have "stuck" in track mode with the stiffer shock setting. It definitely improved when cycling the PDDC button on and off (500 miles later!).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:44 PM
sc532j
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Will definitely post pics, etc. once organized. Thanks for the comments on the PDDC. I was wondering if it is possible to have "stuck" in track mode with the stiffer shock setting. It definitely improved when cycling the PDDC button on and off (500 miles later!).
It's possible, but it sounds unlikely, in regard to noticing it - it is definitely noticeable on city streets (especially in CA) when it is on. Is it possible you had other options set, Sport or Sport Plus (which also affect PDCC)? - see here
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8512...uttons-do.html
Regarding overall harshness - check if your tire pressures are set to comfort pressures or standard, full or partial load, it makes a big difference, lots of chat here
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1125...-going-on.html
Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 508 Posts

If your car has Pirelli P zeros........wear them out as soon as possible and go with Michelins.........much quieter.......Pirelli is one noisy tire............hope that was the case.......
Old 01-24-2019, 03:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

... while much much better, the ride is still pretty harsh over seams and bumps.
Post your tire pressures.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 771 Posts

Congrats! It sounds like you found a great car. Looking forward to the pics.

Of the three 911s that I've owned, the 991.1 TTS has the best ride by far. I agree with the comments above that it's a bit harsh for street driving with PDCC/sport suspension activated, but it's very nice when it's deactivated. I also agree that these cars are pretty sensitive to tire pressures. I've currently got Pirelli P-Zeros on my summer wheels, which will be replaced when the weather gets warmer. I love how Michelin tires drive on the 911. I also agree with checking your tire pressures. If you drive alone most of the time without luggage, then set your tire pressures for "partial load" as indicated in the manual. The dealership or other mechanics will almost always set tire pressures to the maximum pressure indicated on the sticker, which makes for a much harsher ride.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and links. My responses:
- I mis spoke regarding "PDDC" (supposed to be PDCC....). I was actually meaning PASM (with the shock absorber symbol). It really seemed that it was "stuck" in the stiffer mode for my long drive as indicated by the immediate better ride when cycled the next day.
- It only has 4K miles so still has the P zeros, which are now almost 4 years old. I will definitely change at the first reasonable interval
- tire pressure is definitely an issue. I checked for sure and when cold, the pressures were 37 and 47, consistent with the door label. I also did check the pressures while driving across and noted they had increased to 51 for the rears when hot. I had forgot about that. For sure, I am going to lower to maybe 32/35 when cold.
- pics coming....
Other than the "stuck" PASM feeling, I really think the tire pressures are going to help a lot. Again, many thanks for everyone's comments.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

... I am going to lower to maybe 32/35 when cold.
Set comfort mode partial load and just keep it below 165:

Old 01-24-2019, 04:03 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by worf928

Set comfort mode partial load and just keep it below 165:

Well, I guess everything is a tradeoff. I was hoping to get above 165 on a regular basis, but I guess I'll have to manage expectations and stay below in exchange for better ride quality. Something I can live with....
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I guess everything is a tradeoff. I was hoping to get above 165 on a regular basis, but I guess I'll have to manage expectations and stay below in exchange for better ride quality. Something I can live with....
Yeah. I know it’s a tough thing to live with. Toughest though is the diet and exercise regime necessary to select ‘partial load’ with a straight face
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Some pictures. $193K sticker, including, among other things, Power folding mirrors, Sport Chrono clock dial and instrument dials in white, side mirror painted (lower trim), Premium package plus, Burmeister, side skirts painted, Crests on seats, NO Sunroof. No sunroof was a big plus for me as I normally order all my cars, if possible, sans sunroof. I already added the side script decals, as can be seen in a couple of the pictures. One owner with all service records and not a nick or scratch I love the car.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:35 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Great find! I love the color combo. Looks brand new. Let the mods begin!
Old 01-24-2019, 06:25 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 508 Posts

I ride at 38/48
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
I ride at 38/48