Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

You guys are messing with my mind...i find myself listening for stone now when i drive. if i find it i will be really ticked off.😀
The following users liked this post:
Ducaiti999 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM
AirBusPilot
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

My 14' never droned stock. I just added the Kline Inconel exhaust with cat deletes, still no drone at any rpm. Weird.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
I have a 2015 TTS and I agree there is an "unpleasant audio frequency" in 7th gear at cruising speed. I just assumed it was part of the Porsche 911 experience since this is my first one. I usually drive in 6th gear to avoid it. It was present with both stock and aftermarket exhaust.
3rd Turbo and I never really paid attention to it. Maybe because I'm in Sport mode and 6th 99% of the time? Anyway, tonight I shifted to 7th at 75 ish and noted a bit of a "drone", but didn't find it annoying. OTOH, it was only for a few seconds, so several hours might be a different story.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate the symposers. What a bad idea... As for droning, I never noticed it in my '14 TTS. That said, coming from 3 NA 911s, I sure feel the difference in the way turbo sounds and it is not to it's advantage.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
I hate the symposers. What a bad idea... As for droning, I never noticed it in my '14 TTS. That said, coming from 3 NA 911s, I sure feel the difference in the way turbo sounds and it is not to it's advantage.
Some key tradeoffs between NA and Turbos as we know...........but low end torque in the mid range around town beats having to get the revs up all the time on a daily driver.......for weekend jaunts to the track or mountain drives......NA with its sound is nice but the low end grunt overrides that for my use.......

Turbos sound better than they used to, but not as raw for sure......unless you spend some $$$ on aftermarket exhaust stuff.........
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have some drone in my 2014 TTS at lower RPMs. It gets considerably worse in cooler outdoor temperatures (cooler meaning 50 degrees F or lower). For me, the drone is much more noticeable from the passenger seat versus driver's seat.

I don't notice the drone nearly as much at freeway speeds, but I drive with Sport on and don't dip into 7th gear as much.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM
smuoio
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I have described the engine sound my 2014 makes as sort of a high tech droning, which i think fits the car well. Could the 2019 sound that much different?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I've tried for two different days to listen for any drone. I've tried at the recommended speeds and RPM's and I can't detect anything except tire and road noise. Both easily drowned out by the Bermeister. Now full disclosure, I've disconnected and capped my sound symposer at both ends, soundproofed my doors (huge improvement) and some minor soundproofing of the rear wheel wells.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

That is great. Would you be able to tell me some details on how you did the door and rear wheels please? What soundproofing product did you use?. There are a number of them on the market. I am going to do the same on my 911 S.

thank you very much
CB
Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 149 Posts

I’m not sure the suggestion for a different car was condescending. The TTS (mine is an 18) is by far, the quietest of the pcars i’ve owned. That’s not to say it’s quiet... it’s noisy. Too noisy to comfortably take calls, but not so noisy so as to bother me. In fact it’s rather on the boring side sound-wise, hence all the threads on here about aftermarket exhausts, etc.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I read and watched dozens of reviews of the 991 TT/S and many did say it was on the loud side which did concern me. They often put that down to noisy stock tires, but that kind of indicates that Porsche let soundproofing slide even though they knew that reviewers thought it was loud. I ordered one and hoped it wouldn't be too bad, and expected there might be additional measures that could be taken to quiet it.

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I've tried for two different days to listen for any drone. I've tried at the recommended speeds and RPM's and I can't detect anything except tire and road noise. Both easily drowned out by the Bermeister. Now full disclosure, I've disconnected and capped my sound symposer at both ends, soundproofed my doors (huge improvement) and some minor soundproofing of the rear wheel wells.
So I'm also very interested in your soundproofing details, and glad to learn about the symposer that can be defeated..
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I do find there is a boomy sound, granted stock its not too bothersome...SO... I'm actually working on a resolution for this with Fabspeed motorsports right now and are targeting that rev range specifically. with our cars, the only catch is this solution wouldn't necessarily be quieter, it actually will be louder in the higher revs, but down low in the drone should be totally cancelled out or as close as you can physically get... Happy to tell you what's cooking if you're interested!!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

I'm the opposite. I find it to be a little too quiet. In normal mode and soft shocks - i can comfortably speak on phone and drive long distance. But then again i am coming from a 997.2S w Tubi and a Lamborghini. i do find the TT to be "boomy" in Sport. But w my Cobb tune - normal became sport and its not boomy.

I dont find this condescending - but if you want quiet - a Porsche 911 is not the best option. Panamera maybe. Mercedes etc. A Porsche 911 is sporty. TT is GT but much closer to sporty than a Bentley.

I feel people buy something and try and make it something else.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM
rbrotmd
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks to wru and rodsky for validating my post of 1/22. It was not meant to be condescending. I still don't understand why anyone would purchase a high performance Porsche sports car and then complain that the engine is too loud.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:06 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrotmd
Thanks to wru and rodsky for validating my post of 1/22. It was not meant to be condescending. I still don't understand why anyone would purchase a high performance Porsche sports car and then complain that the engine is too loud.
Probably because you didn't really pay attention to my post and you are responding to something you think I complained about which I didn't complain about.
The complaint I made was that at a very specific rpm, around 2000-2200 rpm, at very light throttle, there is a boomy drone in the car. The same complaint many others have made, in this thread and others.

Does that sound like I am making generic complaints about loud engines? No. Your whole point is a strawman.

This is my third 911, including a 2014 TTS and a 2017 Carrera S and while both were noisier than my two corvettes (2005, 2009), my two M3s (2001, 2011), and my M5 (2014), none of those cars had this boomy drone.
Why can't someone ask about a legitimate issue on a car without people coming out of the woodwork claiming either there is no problem or that I don't know enough to buy the appropriate vehicle?

Quick Reply: Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?