Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Not really. I want to switch to P4S for a bit less road noise, but I am going with an exhaust this season to ADD engine noise.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:31 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no exhaust leak (that you can tell) correct? You could always bring it into the dealer and have them check.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
as others have said, maybe disconnect the piped in sound and try new tires

for me, these cars are definitely noisy, I prefer the S class for highway road trips
Let me say that this is an obviously a boomy engine drone, not tire noise. First, it happens at 2000-2500 rpm, in every gear, at part throttle. It is not dependent on speed, which tire noise would be. Furthermore, it is totally obvious that the sound increases in intensity simply by changing the sport **** on the steering wheel from N to S. That all by itself should explain that this is not a tire issue.
I wish people would quit confusing the two. I am not complaining about tire noise.

I opened up the engine compartment and blocked the sound symposer tube coming off the intake manifold. You don't need to take much off in order to access the engine compartment - just the airbox and the cover.

See the white tube below? That is the sound symposer tube. The black tube just above it contains the valve which opens for sport mode. The view you see here is after I disconnec ted the black tube from the white one. I cut a thin dress sock into a long strip, rolled it up, and inserted it into the white tube, then reconnected the back hose.

Here is the view from the passenger compartment. This is the other end of the white tube I taped this over with heavy rubber tape.

On the passenger side.

The results from this experiment seem to show a reduced drone intensity but it is not entirely gone. So now I suspect there is another, second sound symposer tube or equivalent in the car. But I don't know where that would be. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by catpat8000
Let me say that this is an obviously a boomy engine drone, not tire noise. First, it happens at 2000-2500 rpm, in every gear, at part throttle. It is not dependent on speed, which tire noise would be. Furthermore, it is totally obvious that the sound increases in intensity simply by changing the sport **** on the steering wheel from N to S. That all by itself should explain that this is not a tire issue.
I wish people would quit confusing the two. I am not complaining about tire noise.

I opened up the engine compartment and blocked the sound symposer tube coming off the intake manifold. You don't need to take much off in order to access the engine compartment - just the airbox and the cover.

See the white tube below? That is the sound symposer tube. The black tube just above it contains the valve which opens for sport mode. The view you see here is after I disconnec ted the black tube from the white one. I cut a thin dress sock into a long strip, rolled it up, and inserted it into the white tube, then reconnected the back hose.

Here is the view from the passenger compartment. This is the other end of the white tube I taped this over with heavy rubber tape.

On the passenger side.

The results from this experiment seem to show a reduced drone intensity but it is not entirely gone. So now I suspect there is another, second sound symposer tube or equivalent in the car. But I don't know where that would be. Thoughts?
If the black tube has a valve, you might want to plug it also Incase it does not totally close.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

On the passenger side.

Thank you for taking the time to document this, I have a 2017 and have the same drone. My understanding is that our cars have 2 symposers, but unfortunately I’m not sure of their locations. I plan on taking a look at this in the next week.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

My '18 Turbo S droned from 2400 to 3000 RPM stock. I got an aftermarket exhaust, and there is still drone in the same rev range. Blocking off the sympozer helped a little. My GT3 with the same body but a completely different engine drones in the same rev renage, even though its exhaust has flaps that automatically close in that rev range (even in loud exhaust mode). All this tells me that this is a resonance frequency of the 991 body or something like that.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I think it's worth having checked at the dealer. Maybe you have something causing the drone, exhaust least, symposer etc....Don't settle get it checked. What you are experiencing is not the usual normal experience had by others.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 AM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I think it's worth having checked at the dealer. Maybe you have something causing the drone, exhaust least, symposer etc....Don't settle get it checked. What you are experiencing is not the usual normal experience had by others.
I will get it checked but I wonder about your claim that my experience is not usual. There are 5 posts in this thread by 5 others who have exactly this same problem.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 473 Posts

This is an excellent suggestion, thank you! I will try this out and report back.
I took this out when I added Kline headers and Kline exhaust, the stupid symposer tube was the most annoying sound and had to go
Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

My 17 does not have any drone. Did they change for MY18?

I guess this also makes my car far more valuable than I thought!!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

My 2015 Turbo S does not have the sound tube, however when I drove my car on highways as you describe and at similar speeds , the drone was really annoying.

I changed exhaust to Tubi and its not as bad, but not gone.

Have owned many other performance cars and not experienced this. I currently own a Huracan and no drone but crusing at 70-80 mph, it feels like it needs another gear.
I think the Italian cars like the high rev.

Mike
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Boys 1
My 2015 Turbo S does not have the sound tube, however when I drove my car on highways as you describe and at similar speeds , the drone was really annoying.

I changed exhaust to Tubi and its not as bad, but not gone.

Have owned many other performance cars and not experienced this. I currently own a Huracan and no drone but crusing at 70-80 mph, it feels like it needs another gear.
I think the Italian cars like the high rev.

Mike
I have had cars with Drone, and once you are tuned into it, drives you crazy, especially for a daily driver. Doesn't really matter what anyone says, once you hear it, its over. You have to make changes. My 2014TTS has fabspeed intake and exhaust makes it much louder than stock and for me it sounds great on long trips because I would classify it as Drone (as I have experienced it in other cars) but some sitting with me may. So I guess my point is that it has to do with the person's sensitivity, though I must admit I find it unlikely that Porsche would sell a car that is stock with Drone. So my first inclination is to assume there is something wrong with the car and would take it back to the dealer to fix. If they say it is normal, then make sound tube changes. If that doesn't work, change the exhaust but frankly I don't see aftermarket exhausts as a fix, if anything my guess it is more likely to make it worse.

This thread is turning out to be real useful thread...thanks for showing how the sound tube works....please post how you fixed the second sound tube if there is one.

Finally, Like Mike I have a Huracan as well, and the sound is glorious, but Mike, I have never had the need for another gear, what gear is the car in at 60-80mph? Perhaps drive in manual sport mode or Strada auto mode can fix that.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 2015 TTS and I agree there is an "unpleasant audio frequency" in 7th gear at cruising speed. I just assumed it was part of the Porsche 911 experience since this is my first one. I usually drive in 6th gear to avoid it. It was present with both stock and aftermarket exhaust.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Default Found this older posting about the same issue

Seems like this has been an issue on some cars at least for years:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...l#post12146600

Anyone know if TerryO is still around? I PMed him asking who he used for service but no response yet.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I will get it checked but I wonder about your claim that my experience is not usual. There are 5 posts in this thread by 5 others who have exactly this same problem.
Let me rephrase. It is not something I have heard repeatedly. Without the Europipe I did notice some light drone but far from headache creating like you are experiencing. The Europipe dropped the tone to a more baritone sound and I don't experience what you are noting.

Quick Reply: Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?