GTS vs TTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GTS vs TTS

*Cross posted from the GT3 section*

I currently own a 997 manual TT and have a slot for a 992 GT3(eventually the kids will grow up and get their own cars). I love the NA sound and linear power but have always felt the non GT cars lack a little power. I am looking to purchase a 991 for daily driving and really use the back seats to transport the kiddos. My perfect car would be a GT3 with backseats. Of course that’s never going to happen and I don’t think there’s a way to retrofit. In lieu of that happening I’m looking at the next best thing.

991.1 GTS. Pros = great sound, availability of switchable exhaust, slightly cheaper, last NA, manual trans option
Cons = mostly an option package, not as legendary as the TT, lack of torque

991.1 TTS Pros = Flagship car, Power, AWD, Luxurious
Cons = noise, weight

I have a Z06/Z07 that I track so this would just see street duty. I drive a lot for work and would enjoy having something that’s a great daily. I also have a truck for snow days.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:37 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Just curious, why is the 991.2 GTS excluded? It seems to split the difference between your options.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:15 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Just curious, why is the 991.2 GTS excluded? It seems to split the difference between your options.
+1 go with the 991.2 GTS with manual. Best of all worlds for your interests.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Good question. My thought process is that if I decide to live without the NA exhaust soundtrack then I might as well have the proper Turbo. Full disclosure I have not driven a 991.2 GTS.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:01 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver

Good question. My thought process is that if I decide to live without the NA exhaust soundtrack then I might as well have the proper Turbo. Full disclosure I have not driven a 991.2 GTS.
Well if you want MT, RWD, and less weight, the 991.2 GTS is a hot ticket. With a reflash they are about at stock 991 turbo power levels. (And of course a stock TT/TTS will gain a great deal of power from a reflash too.) Plenty of speed for the street if that’s any concern.

No 991 will have equally good steering feel compared to your 997.

The 991 turbos are very quick. The transmission is a big part of it. They’re really great in all seasons/weather and just immensely competent cars. That said, engagement does suffer. The same things that make them great daily drivers reduce the emotional involvement. And they really are getting too quick - the speed adds up so quickly that you can’t sit on the gas for any appreciable length of time without risking (not just a ticket!) a trip to jail. But sometimes it’s a riot - my young son absolutely loved launch control and wanted me to use it all the time. A lot of that will be similar to your current car.

I’d check Turo in your area and see if you get lucky and can rent one for a day or two and see if it’s for you.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't know why anybody would want a GT3 over a TTS, but I also don't ever miss having a MT. Were it me, for a DD, I'd pick up a very affordable 991.1 TTS and be done with this decision in short order. MT is nice on occasion for the romanticized notion of drives through beautiful forests, but in reality the PDK is the perfect tranny for traffic lights and highway commutes while I'm on the phone trying to close a deal. (PS - they are NOT too quick)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

If you want a clutch pedal go 991.2 gts if you want pdk go 991 turbo imho..
Old 01-01-2019, 10:37 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I don't know why anybody would want a GT3 over a TTS, but I also don't ever miss having a MT. Were it me, for a DD, I'd pick up a very affordable 991.1 TTS and be done with this decision in short order. MT is nice on occasion for the romanticized notion of drives through beautiful forests, but in reality the PDK is the perfect tranny for traffic lights and highway commutes while I'm on the phone trying to close a deal. (PS - they are NOT too quick)
well said.
I am trying to psychologically get used to the idea of trading my MT 991.1 C2S for a 991.1TT. I have been driving MT since my 1990 Volvo 240.
Sometimes my left knee heats up in traffic which sucks. Sometimes I am not the greatest shifter in my C2S. I am coming around to PDK slowly I think.

Last edited by cpbmd; 01-01-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

I'm with Randy. I don't know why some think the TT or TTS have too much power to enjoy. It's how you use it that makes the driving experience. Yes at full pedal to the metal it will make for a terrifying run through the twisties but using the throttle and PDK properly I get just as much joy out of this car as my previous MT 4S and have the extra push I need in the straights.
If your goal is to continually be bumping the rev limiter on back country roads then a lower hp cars is what you want. Does not make it more capable just feels like you are pushing to the limit. Also after 30 years of Porsche MT cars I am sold on the beauty and efficiency of the PDK tranny.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:30 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

This is a very dangerous (to the bank account) but useful thread.
I must drive the TT more. I have only driven one at night for 20 min a few weeks ago.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

991 TTS

cons: weight > Kline inconel headers, exhaust, lithium battery, forged wheels, low fuel, close to a 250 lbs weight reduction. Mine came down to 3,380 lbs from 3633 lbs stock.

sound? > Kline

cobb pdk and ecu tune > profit

I found 991.1 Carrera GTS and S for neighbors and friends, had a 991.1 S, they don’t sound amazing. All my GT3 had/have amazing sound, my Turbo S sounds better than my 2019 GT3 RS up to 4500rpm, then the RS sounds better. For street driving, there is barely any business over 4000rpm unless you’re breaking the law, even for the slow NA Carreras.

TTS lowering springs with stiffer rates + DSC = nicer handling
Old 01-01-2019, 01:59 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randyc151
...(ps - they are NOT too quick)
Originally Posted by Penn4S
I'm with Randy. I don't know why some think the TT or TTS have too much power to enjoy. It's how you use it that makes the driving experience. Yes at full pedal to the metal it will make for a terrifying run through the twisties but using the throttle and PDK properly I get just as much joy out of this car as my previous MT 4S and have the extra push I need in the straights.If your goal is to continually be bumping the rev limiter on back country roads then a lower hp cars is what you want. Does not make it more capable just feels like you are pushing to the limit. Also after 30 years of Porsche MT cars I am sold on the beauty and efficiency of the PDK tranny.
Yeah, I think driving style and preference is what makes some of us feel that way and others not so much. I drive a bit too much like a hooligan.

The turbo is hugely competent and capable and quite exciting when driven hard. It's also not very visceral or lightweight, and on the street it's really not acceptable to bump the limiter all the time. I appreciate the huge performance envelope but in my daily commute I am not able to access any element of it besides the acceleration. So I bought a short geared featherweight car with less than half the power, and I'm grinning ear to ear as I overdrive it on the way to work.

I think the TT/TTS is an excellent choice for most anyone, but if you want the ideal choice for you, it really means you need to know what you want out of the experience. Some folks are much happier in a Bentley or a G-Wagon. They aren't at all wrong to prefer it, but they're clearly looking for a different thing than I am. A few years back I read about a guy who traded in a new Z06 for a Miata after just six months saying the Z06 just wasn't enough fun on the street as he couldn't ever get out of first gear. I immediately thought, yeah, I get that, but most people would think he was a bit crazy. And also, let's not lose sight of the fact that we're talking about distinguishing between cars that fit under the Porsche 911 model range so it can all get pretty nuanced.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, I had a 991.1 GTS MT and loved it.

I now have a 991.1 TTS and love it too

I also looked at 991.2 GTS MT and had a bit of a drive time with it.

991.1 GTS and 991.1 or .2 turbo are 1 completely different cars. To a point that while my TTS does not go anywhere I am considering buying a 991.1 GTS back. 991.2 GTS being undoubtedly a great car somehow never talked to me the right way

I really want a MT GT3 touring and perhaps will still get one, but it is not as driveable as a 991 GTS or a TTS for a street DD and lack of the back seats is (almost? ) a showstopper for me.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Once you drive a TTS, it is hard to turn back............very drivable DD..........I look forward to every drive.........gas mileage around town is not bad either.......
Old 01-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Here's an idea!!

Save your self some cash and buy a 997 TTS to added as the DD. Europipe Exhaust, COBB OTS Sgt. 2 (or custom), and the TPC DSC like I have, and you have an Awesome DD that's almost or just as quick / fast as the 991.1 TTS (quicker than a stock one).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 991 TTS also, but for the price Diff. the 997TTS might be the best option.

Quick Reply: GTS vs TTS