Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

The 986whp 991TT build you've never heard of, until now!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:58 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts
Default The 986whp 991TT build you've never heard of, until now!!

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well and that everyone is enjoying the holidays and wrapping up 2018 in style!

Would like to share the public release of our new company demo race car. Will be using this to try and crack 200mph in the 1/2 mile.

CSF 2014 Porsche 991 Turbo S

POWER
  • Three maps, selectable through cruise control stalk
    • 91oct Pump Gas - 647whp / 18psi
    • 100oct Race Gas - 807whp / 27psi
    • E85 Kill Mode - 986whp / 30psi

THE CAR
2014 Porsche 911 (991) TurboS
ˇ ~27,000 miles
ˇ ~1000 miles on the new engine build. This car will be used as the 2019/2020 demo race car /press car for the High Performance & Race division of CSF Cooling. Showcasing CSF’s world-record holding 991 Turbo intercoolers + upgraded radiator cooling systems.

PARTNERS:
ˇ Built by: Evolution Motorsports of Arizona @EVOMS
ˇ Engine built by: John Bray at EvoSpec
ˇ Seats: Sparco
ˇ Airtake system: Eventuri
ˇ Body Conversion / Mechanical: Sterling Auto Con
ˇ Wheels: Yokohama USA
ˇ Roll bar / alignment / suspension setup / mechanical: GMG Racing
ˇ Suspension: Ohlins
ˇ Track / build support: AW Designs Tuning
ˇ Track / build support: Sheepey Race
ˇ ECU: Syvecs
ˇ Tires: Toyo Tires

EXTERIOR / INTERIOR
- Agate Grey Exterior, Black Leather Interior
- Yellow Instrument Clusters

- Sterling Auto Con 991.2 rear conversion w/ Porsche 991.2 OEM smoked taillights
- 991.2 GT3RS side ducts
- 991.2 GT2RS side skirts
- Porsche 991 Turbo aero-kit front lip
- Sparco SPX seats w/ custom upholstery for Scroth 5-point harnesses – seat bases by GMG
- Fire extinguisher mounted on roll bar using Bray Kraus billet quick-release mounting system
- K40 Radar/Laser Detector system built into steering column.

WHEELS / BREAKS / SUSPENSION
- Advan GT Premium Centerlock Wheels in Titanium Blue w/ machined ring

• Front: 20x9.5 +45
  • Rear: 20x12 +44
- Toyo R888R Tires

• Front: 265/35/20
  • Rear: 315/30/20
- Ohlins Road & Track coilover suspension
- GMG Thrust arm bushings
- Laser alignment by GMG

ENGINE BUILD
- Evospec/CP Forged Piston Set
- Evospec/Carrillo H-Beam Connecting Rods w/ Carr Bolts
- Evospec Head Stud Kit
- Evospec Press-In Iron Liners - Replaces easily-damaged factory aluminum bores with extremely tough and durable liners
- Evospec Head Gaskets, w/ O-rings
- Evospec Rod Bearings
- OEM Main/Thrust Bearings, OEM Gaskets/seals
- Two new OEM fuel injectors after corrosion was found on original parts
- New OEM Oil Separator

EVOMS EVT1100 TURBO SYSTEM

- By Evolution Motorsports of Arizona
- Borg Warner EFR7163 Ball Bearing Turbochargers
- Turbosmart IWG Actuators and Custom Brackets/Wastegate Rods
- 321 Stainless Steel Headers
- Firesleeved/heat protected Turbo Lines/Hardware
- Custom Valved Exhaust, 2.5" Muffler for light load or 2.5" Straight Dump for under boost.

(Practical for cruising on long freeway drives while supporting 1000whp)
- 3" Aluminum Turbo Inlet Plumbing
- Custom High Flow Intakes/Air Filters, uses stock cold air ducting from decklid to airbox
- Custom High Flow Y-Pipe
- CSF Cooling - 4.5 inch high performance intercoolers
- CSF Cooling - 3-piece all-aluminum radiator kit

- Eventuri Carbon Fiber high-flow air intake sytem w/ Gen-2 cone filters

Custom Secondary Port Injection Fuel System
- Twin Brushless In-Tank Fuel Pumps, OE Pump Controllers w/ Relayed Power Supply, High Flow Filters, and Custom Feed/Return Lines for Secondary Fuel System
- DFI System is completely intact and functions with stock ECU plugged in
- SRM Intake Manifold Spacers, Center Intake Plenum, and Fuel Rails - SRM dual E5LM brushless fuel system
- ID1050x Secondary Injectors

ENGINE MANAGEMENT
- Syvecs 991 Turbo Plug'n'Play Standalone ECU
- Tuned by Wayne Potts of ISC Tuning
- Full flex fuel support with automatic map blending, 'Map 3 Safe Mode' to prevent car from running full power with weak ethanol blends, etc.
- Custom tuned launch/traction control. Launches soft at 3500rpm to preserve the gearbox and consistently lays down 2.4x 0-60 passes in 100F Phoenix heat.

TRANSMISSION UPGRADES
- Dodson PDK Clutch Upgrade

- Dodson PDK Brace
- Cobb PDK Software w/ 2019 update, Running 'High Torque Aggressive Map'
- Fresh OEM Filter and Fluid

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Happy new years!

- PCCB Brakes

Last edited by CSF Cooling; 05-03-2019 at 03:56 AM. Reason: updated specs (5/1/19)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
abu5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

sheesh
Old 01-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

You'll need to lower the car. I like Techart Springs. Also, you will need to add Awe Tuning air foils to reduce the wind turbulence inside the car if the windows are down. Also, Cups2's or Trofeo R's are much better than the Toyo for grip and braking. I also highly recommend the DSC V3 box for PASM control, and you can put a smaller battery or Lithium battery in to save a ton of weight. Very nice job on the performance.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice build CSF! Syvecs non-VTG turbo-based cars seem to be going really fast, the VTG imitations are all gone.

My question is if you are using this car for the half mile, you would want the best aerodynamics possible, why go with a Cup body setup, it increases drag. Definitely lower the car with springs as Randy suggested or if you will be using it on circuit, then I would go with full suspension upgrade in terms of bushings, control arms and shocks.

Since you have gone this far, you could also add a GT2RS water spray system on your coolers.

Would be great if you could post datalogs of your runs showing IAT vs speed and boost to see how the intercoolers perform.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM
pr-s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build, congrats !!

Sorry for my ignorance, but why lowering the car will help with 1/4 and 1/2 mile times and mph? Also, is it posible to find a GT2 RS water spray for our cars?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pr-s
Great build, congrats !!

Sorry for my ignorance, but why lowering the car will help with 1/4 and 1/2 mile times and mph? Also, is it posible to find a GT2 RS water spray for our cars?
To reduce aerodynamic drag and reduce lift.. you need over 400hp at 200mph just to overcome aerodynamic drag.

Yes you can find it but you will need programming of the factory ECU. Or it’s easier with Syvecs.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:02 PM
pr-s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, since I come from a C7 Z06 and a Gen V Viper Twin Turbo I had the mentality that suspension lift is good for better traction on rear tires. Now I have a 991.1 TTS with a ByDesign stage 4 with meth. Need to improve traction, so I'll think about adding lowering springs.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:01 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Nice build CSF! Syvecs non-VTG turbo-based cars seem to be going really fast, the VTG imitations are all gone.

My question is if you are using this car for the half mile, you would want the best aerodynamics possible, why go with a Cup body setup, it increases drag. Definitely lower the car with springs as Randy suggested or if you will be using it on circuit, then I would go with full suspension upgrade in terms of bushings, control arms and shocks.

Since you have gone this far, you could also add a GT2RS water spray system on your coolers.

Would be great if you could post datalogs of your runs showing IAT vs speed and boost to see how the intercoolers perform.
Getting rid of the VTGs and 'fixing' the other marginal/weak items (fuel delivery, cast iron sleeves, etc.) really opens up the floodgates on this platform in terms of performance and reliability. VTGs are a pretty cool technology, but we feel they're being pushed beyond their useful range by a lot of folks. The useful range of the turbos seems matched by the capabilities of the stock fuel system, gearbox, and engine internals, with various band-aids being used to push the boundaries a bit (with results that reflect the reliability of a band aid fix). There's a steep cost to a customer to upgrade all of those items beyond stock, and there are some very complicated and sophisticated hurdles to overcome for the tuning shop--but once all of those are past, it's a (relatively straight-forward) just a turbo kit that is needed to make way more power than VTGs could dream of.

The CSF intercoolers do a great job at this power level. At 1000whp and 30psi on the EFR7163 turbos there is a smaller rise in intake temps over a 60-130 run than a 650hp Stage 2 991TT has on stock intercoolers. I'll see if we have an data we can put together into a cool chart--if we don't, we have a racing program lined up for this year and that kind of data will be published from those results.

Sam
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Getting rid of the VTGs and 'fixing' the other marginal/weak items (fuel delivery, cast iron sleeves, etc.) really opens up the floodgates on this platform in terms of performance and reliability. VTGs are a pretty cool technology, but we feel they're being pushed beyond their useful range by a lot of folks. The useful range of the turbos seems matched by the capabilities of the stock fuel system, gearbox, and engine internals, with various band-aids being used to push the boundaries a bit (with results that reflect the reliability of a band aid fix). There's a steep cost to a customer to upgrade all of those items beyond stock, and there are some very complicated and sophisticated hurdles to overcome for the tuning shop--but once all of those are past, it's a (relatively straight-forward) just a turbo kit that is needed to make way more power than VTGs could dream of.

The CSF intercoolers do a great job at this power level. At 1000whp and 30psi on the EFR7163 turbos there is a smaller rise in intake temps over a 60-130 run than a 650hp Stage 2 991TT has on stock intercoolers. I'll see if we have an data we can put together into a cool chart--if we don't, we have a racing program lined up for this year and that kind of data will be published from those results.

Sam
Good post. I'm a bit surprised Porsche didn't drop VTGs for their new GT2 RS and go for something similar to a conventional turbo like your choice of EFR7163 instead.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IMI A
Good post. I'm a bit surprised Porsche didn't drop VTGs for their new GT2 RS and go for something similar to a conventional turbo like your choice of EFR7163 instead.
They have no reason to drop it, amazing turbos, a manufacturer has much more to look for than outright performance, daily use response, emissions, regulations on noise, longevity etc.. The VTGs do an outstanding job, peak torque from 2200 RPMs in certain applications, but do have compressor and turbine size limitations like all other turbos, which are not suitable to a build like this one..
Old 01-04-2019, 01:45 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
They have no reason to drop it, amazing turbos, a manufacturer has much more to look for than outright performance, daily use response, emissions, regulations on noise, longevity etc.. The VTGs do an outstanding job, peak torque from 2200 RPMs in certain applications, but do have compressor and turbine size limitations like all other turbos, which are not suitable to a build like this one..
Yeah, within the scope of all the small aftermarket companies there are limited changes/modifications that can be made to improve flow through the proprietary VTG hotside, so the turbos end up a bit imbalanced with the turbine side being a restriction to the capabilities of the upgraded compressors and you have big backpressure issues. Porsche have the ability to produce a larger VTG hotside to match the larger compressor size needed to make their ~700hp which alleviates a lot of the extremes that occur with when putting upgraded 65/68/71mm compressor wheels on a 'standard' line VTG turbo and the pushing them towards the max capabilities of the compressor. They've done this before with the 997 GT2 turbos, which had substantially larger turbine housings than regular 997TT turbos. These larger hotsides show a marked improvement in performance and octane sensitivity when you do the same 65/68/71mm compressor wheel upgrade and use them on a modified car. The GT2 turbos are almost impossible to find used, and are something like $8k per set to buy new (plus the cost of modifying them on top of that), so it's never really been pursued by the aftermarket as it's extremely expensive. I haven't looked but I imagine the 991 GT2RS turbos are going to be at least, if not more expensive.

All that being said, we were going go a Syvecs standalone anyways on this car to control the secondary fuel system so moving away from VTG turbos was not a problem (although the Syvecs can run VTGs itself), and the next best option to VTGs in terms of responsiveness on a street driven car are the Borg Warner EFRs. The EFR uses a titanium ceramic turbine wheel that is extremely lightweight, along with modern aero on the compressor and turbine wheels. This means that they are very responsive turbos for their size, both in terms of what RPM they make boost as well as how long it takes them to go from no boost to full boost. The midrange on this car is currently VERY conservative to keep the stock gearbox (with clutches) alive on the street. This is being reworked ahead of this race season and should give a very impressive powerband for the size of the turbos once that is all in place.

Sam
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well explained
Originally Posted by EVOMS
I haven't looked but I imagine the 991 GT2RS turbos are going to be at least, if not more expensive.
Sam
Around $4,700 ea. today.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:10 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice build, subscribed!

Sam (EVOMS), nice to hear from...it's been awhile!

Manuel

PS: H&R's all the way!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:53 AM
BMS
Former Vendor

Received 259 Likes on 198 Posts

Really awesome!!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 AM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Update on the car - new parts that just came in from the UK.

Here is the 1st set in the USA (prototype set) from my friends at Eventuri Intakes.

Beautiful piece of engineering which will look good, and will hopefully perform well as well! (I have no doubt, my friends make some awesome intakes!)

The way these intakes look, I might just have to run with no rear bumper!

New Carbon Fiber Intake for 991 Turbo / TurboS - fits both 991.1 & 991.2 systems

Quick Reply: The 986whp 991TT build you've never heard of, until now!!