Sponsored by: Road Spy

2014 991TTS versus 2014 R8V10+

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 07:23 PM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 991TTS versus 2014 R8V10+

Recently, I traded my Sapphire Blue TTS with Kline Inconel 200 cell and Stage 2 tune (630HP/650TQ) for a stock 2014 R8 V10+ (550HP/391TQ) with Avior Resonated Exhaust. Before the trade, I was unable to find a detailed comparison between those two cars. Therefore, I decided to write a review for other R8 and 991TTS owners who want to jump ships in the future. I owned the TTS for over 2 years and put over 10K miles on it. For the R8, I put +1K miles in the past week. My review will focus on "my" 5 most important factors.

Excitement: 991TTS 6/10; R8V10+ 10/10.
991TTS: In the 991TTS, you know you are driving something very special but you don’t feel it until you put it in a tight turn at +80MPH or speeding +100MPH. That 2.5-2.8 0-60 launch? I used maybe 4 times in 2 years. It is a fast and beautiful car for others bystanders to admires. However, when you are driving it, it’s more or less a fast sports car with pops and crackles from the Kline. The interior feels very natural and luxurious yet “boring” in my opinion. Minimal excitement factors compare to the R8 from a daily driver standpoint. This car is like marrying a wonderful wife who is good at everything (know how to have fun, can take care of the family, and give you a good F when you needed lol).
R8V10+: In the R8, especially with the aftermarket Avior Resonated pipes: From 0-20MPH, there are dramas, from 20-60MPH, there are dramas, from 60-120MPH there are dramas. The V10 lets you know that you are driving a high revs screamer from likes of 458 and Gallardo. The interior while dated, feels like a special place to be in. This car is like dating a hot model who is good at almost everything (know and want to have fun all the time; give you a really good F while letting know that she loving Fking you lol). I feels really good when driving the R8 at any speed. It’s a special car at this price point.

Appearances: 991TTS 7/10; R8V10+ 9/10.
991TTS: The unfortunate thing about driving a 911 is the 991C2S looks almost identical to the 991TTS. You will get the nice car nod from others but not much more than that. True car enthusiasts will appreciate the TTS. However, to most people, it’s just one of the 23 different type of 911s in the 911 lineup lol.
R8V10+: Nobody is going to mistake you for driving an R8 to a TTS/RS. Why? Because the R8 is Audi’s halo car and it has that supercar design language. The exterior and interior CF panels are so beautiful and exotic compares to the Porsche's raised rear and front spoilers IMO. When I was pumping gas at a gas station in Vegas, another guy was driving his SUV and accidentally hit his trailer to a poll while pulling in to the pump. He came to me and said, “I hit the poll because I was checking out your car.” My wife confirmed that he was looking at the car in awe lol.

Handling: 991TTS 10/10; R8V10+ 8/10.
991TTS: Again, in the 991TTS, you know you are driving something special but you don’t feel it until you put it in a tight turn going +80MPH or going +100MPH. The car is so composed and balances that it is EASY to drive fast even for my wife. It is definitely the more balanced, better, and well-engineered car.
R8V10+: With 85/15 TQ splits, you basically got a rear-wheel bias car. The rear-end will break loose for a split second during hard acceleration from standstill or while the car is moving. The 991 TTS will just hooked and go. At high speed, the R8 does not feel as balanced and solid as the TTS.

Technology: 991TTS 8/10; R8V10+ 7/10.
The tech in the 991TTS are newer (faster NAV, touchscreen, Bluetooth audio, better resolutions, USB music, etc). On the R8, I have to get a different cable for USB music. I have the Bose on 991 and B&O on the R8 and I can attested that the B&O sounds better. I’m sure the Burmester's systems on the 991 will blow the B&O out of the water.

Drivability: 991TTS 9/10; R8V10+ 7/10.
The TTS hands down are better in every category in the drivability department. Extra room in back seats, slightly bigger trunk, and more comfortable suspension are some of the stuff the TTS outright beats the R8. With that being said, the R8 is not all that bad. I would rate the R8 a 7/10 and the TTS 9/10 for sports car drivability.

Overall: 991TTS: 40/50; R8V10+: 41/50
you can’t go wrong with either car. The question you have to ask yourself when choosing either one is: do you want to feel special every time and all the time when driving it (R8) or want a car that is good at everything and only feels special when driving fast (TTS). For me, my next car will be a 2017 or 2019 R8 V10+. I don’t need a track star, crazy fast 0-60, and a quarter mile beast so I need something that makes me feel special every time I’m driving it.

Enjoy the pics:

Last edited by znammz911TTS; 12-23-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Appreciate the excellent review and the time you took to do it. I have the Kline inconel headers and exhaust which sounds great, but can't produce the awesome sound of a V8 or V10. The fact that you plan to buy another newer R8 is proof you are very happy with car. Enjoy your new ride and thanks again for your post
Old 12-22-2018, 11:41 PM
AirBusPilot
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I appreciate the review, but completely disagree on looks. The Audi is just too feminine looking for my tastes (particularly the generic Audi front). I could be wrong, but the Audi doesn't look like it's changed it's looks in a decade?

The 991TT looks like a body builder in an Armani suit. IMO
Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 AM
swoobie
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool that you took the time to detail your impressions - on this board, you're likely to have a few who disagree with some of your thoughts, although I don't think anyone would argue that the TTS is not aurally exciting.

Some of the more austere Porsche interiors (black/tan) tend to lend themselves to not feeling very "special" or in your terms "exciting". And I would agree more if you were comparing a TTS to a Lambo/Ferrari/Mac but the R8 has always seemed a bit like a bloated Audi TT.

At the end of the day it takes all kinds and I celebrate with you the decision you made - congrats and glad you're happy!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:59 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Well done on the review...As I am reading I can almost just substitute the Huracan for the R8 and the differences are exactly why I have both a TTS and Lambo in my garage (see below). Each gives me something the other doesn't. I also like the wife/model comparison. I say the same thing...My wife does everything well and low maintenance, but the Lambo is my hot Italian mistress...exciting but I am going to pay dearly!

Anyway again great review....wnd your direction of cars seems to make sense. The R* is much more daily driveable than a Huracan and I do see it as a good compromise between Lambo and TTS. Enjoy.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:43 AM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Totally agree on your comment on the 991TTS with the way the car handles and move at speed. The first gen R8 was out in 2008 and did not changed much for 2014 minus the front and rear lights.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Great write up and comparison. I would have asked for one more comparison, reliability and maintenance. I assume they must be similar or you would have called it out.
I have always liked and lusted the R8's but have never tempted myself to drive one. After 13 Pcars, 5 of which were TT or TTS variants I forget how much I lusted over Porsche's when they seemed out of reach and beyond my means. Now after owning several and experiencing how well they do everything I don't notice the negatives and forget sometimes how lucky I am to be driving one.
The R8's are pretty though, one of my wife's favorites, but I really don't see me moving away from a car that can do so much more than I am capable of extracting at any time, on a daily basis, and all I pretty much have to do is change the oil.
Did like your write up comparison and the white R8's is a looker.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I think the R8 is fine looking, but not nearly as pretty as a 911. From the side view, it looks very much like a big Audi TT. I don’t think it’s bad looking by any means, it’s just a bit boring in appearance to me. I’m an Audi fan; my wife currently drives an SQ5. The R8 just doesn’t really do it for me.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I wish they made the turbo more like this, instead of a rubber stamp 911
Old 12-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for sharing your excellent comparison of two great cars, and nicely evaluated in many key areas. Although I didn't drive the R8 V10+ it was on my short list, and the reviews I saw gave very similar impressions to yours. I found it impossible to find one car that satisfied all my needs and desires, and think lowpue is spot with finding that two cars better cover all the bases. It sounds like you've found the perfect solution for you! I decided to keep my current extroverted V10 and add the conservative Turbo S for those times when I want either a whole lot less drama or razor sharp performance...which is often both on the same road trip.

Enjoy the R8V10+ and please update your impressions as you spend more time with it!
Old 12-23-2018, 04:51 PM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Great write up and comparison. I would have asked for one more comparison, reliability and maintenance. I assume they must be similar or you would have called it out.
I have always liked and lusted the R8's but have never tempted myself to drive one. After 13 Pcars, 5 of which were TT or TTS variants I forget how much I lusted over Porsche's when they seemed out of reach and beyond my means. Now after owning several and experiencing how well they do everything I don't notice the negatives and forget sometimes how lucky I am to be driving one.
The R8's are pretty though, one of my wife's favorites, but I really don't see me moving away from a car that can do so much more than I am capable of extracting at any time, on a daily basis, and all I pretty much have to do is change the oil.
Did like your write up comparison and the white R8's is a looker.
From my research, the reliability of both cars are very good in term of low maintenance and cost of replacement when it's time to fix broken parts compares to Mac or Ferrari.

Owning the P for 2 years and a half I have to visit the dealers twice for 2 warrantied repairs. One was for the crankcase sensor that went bad and shut off the car randomly during drives and the other one was for one bad passenger rear shocks that made constant noises. Those two faults are well documented for pre-facelift 991TTS. I can't speak much about the R8 because I only put 1K miles on it. According to the previous owner maint record, there wasn't much done to the car beside fixed to minor leaks in the engine bay.

On the maintenance side, P charges $394 for an oil change while Audi charges $568. P recommended spark plug change for TTS at 40K miles ($2,3K job alone) while Audi R8 at 55K miles ($1598 including oil change and brake fluid flush). Overall, I think it will even out in the long run.

Fuel consumption is a big diff between two cars. cost me $70+ to fill the R8 and I got about $325-350 out of a tank. The P cost me $54-60 to fill up and I get around 350-425 miles out of a tank. I find myself in the 6-9K RPM a lot of the time in the R8 lol.

Insurance, six month premium, full coverage for the P is $ 656 and $468 for the R8, I wonder why....
Old 12-23-2018, 05:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Sounds very comparable.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

They’re really not comparable. You got the right car for you. I have a TT and a Performante. One is like dating a super model on crack. The other is the beautiful girl next door who’s an athlete and smart. I sweat and it’s absolutely exhilarating when I drive the P. The 640Hp V10 and the noise and handling and CCBs. It’s an R8 V10 on crack 😀. The TT, I can relax turn on the Burm and take a relaxed drive to a nice dinner. I can also do 0-60 under 3, drive canyons and blow away almost anyone. You need both. But if I had to pick one. I’d probably sell the Lamborghini. But the R8 is somewhere in between. It’s a special car and I hope you enjoy it. Great review
Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I meant "comparable" maintenance wise. I do see the differences. I made my choices years ago after I feel in love with the Porsche cars. Have owned over a dozen and the TTS just about does everything right. It's a keeper for me.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:50 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I meant "comparable" maintenance wise. I do see the differences. I made my choices years ago after I feel in love with the Porsche cars. Have owned over a dozen and the TTS just about does everything right. It's a keeper for me.
Penn, I wasn’t responding to you. I just used the word Comparable 😀. Was just saying that in general, they’re very different. Although people sometimes do cross shop the two as they are at similar price points.

Quick Reply: 2014 991TTS versus 2014 R8V10+