Sponsored by: Road Spy

Accident?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:36 PM
kneeman997mk2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident?!

Had the misfortune of being hit by an Uber driver. He swerved into my lane and then after exchanging info, the 23 year old insisted that it was my fault. Other drivers nearby actually stopped by and reported what happened. Police drew up a report and informed me that the Uber driver contradicted himself and that it was going to be written With him being at fault.

Now the issue is... carfax! I have before and after photos. The accident was largerly swapping paint and absorbed by the expel that’s on the entire car.

All I have to do is replace the expel. I’ve taken it off and the car is clean. I haven’t reported it to insurance but the police report is being generated. How do I not have the negative effects of an accident report on my car fax? I appreciate the input from those who are knowledgeable in this area. Below are the before and after pictures with expel removed. Just extremely saddened by the entire incident.

Last edited by kneeman997mk2; 12-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 PM
kneeman997mk2
Track Day

Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the car fax. If you have the pictures and can explain what happened you should be good. Plus there is no paintwork. Paintwork and replaced panels is what really hurts resale value.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:25 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

From what my insurance agent tells me, they do not report to Carfax. Usually it's reported by the police and government.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I wouldn't worry about the car fax. If you have the pictures and can explain what happened you should be good. Plus there is no paintwork. Paintwork and replaced panels is what really hurts resale value.
If the carfax shows the accident, just document all the information with pictures and paperwork. Keep the car , and better off selling privately. A dealer will def not want to deal without a clean carfax,
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Bummer but It looks like you only contacted on the nose. You are lucky. Agree with everyone that you need to document. I would also take a picture with a newspaper and date on it as well just to show the picture corelates with the police report.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I was told by a local body shop that carfax is reported over a certain dollar amount of repairs, I don't remember the exact amount.

However, any blemish on the carfax is a big deal, as most buyers will pass and move on to another car that has a clean carfax

In your case, it looks like there is really no body damage, just replace the expel, I would just pay for it myself and not go through the insurance company
Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 AM
kneeman997mk2
Track Day

Appreciate the input, I wouldn’t have even had the police write up the report If it wasn’t for the Uber driver claiming that I was at fault, and his backseat passenger claiming back pain (seriously?!?) looking into dash cams now...

I’ll be picking up the report in a few days and as per the officer, it was written with the Uber driver at fault.

Removed the xpel and luckily no significant damage just residue from what seems to be glue like
substance from the clear film
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Thanks for sharing..... makes a good case for expel....
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I’m not a big fan of CarFax any more that Kelly Blue Book pricing. The Audi Q5 I bought had a clean CarFax until the Audi dealer discovered a front end accident. The accident had an insurance claim on it, was like $4k in damage to the bumper, radiator, AC condenser. The dealer then reported this to CarFax.

Then we had a 2nd front end accident (Lyft driver was at fault) and we had a $21k insurance repair! Guess what, no CarFax report on that.

Long and short of it, if you dig into CarFax pros and cons, you’ll find a lot of both sides.

What’s more important is how you document your own stuff, and be honest about it. Nothing worse than a buyer thinking they are getting a clean car, clean CarFax and then learning/discovering after they bought it, it’s not the case.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I had a similar situation where tricked out pick up truck with balloon tires clipped my nose like your car with mainly his tires impact in my car. No damage to his car. I told him let's just forget about it an go home....he started telling me I need to pay for his nerf bar damage which clearly i didn't cause (plus he came into my lane so was at fault) so we got insurance involved. i was able to wax the marks out and he used my insurance for neck and shoulder pain...i told insurance you are crazy to pay....no damage to my car and his truck is twice the size of mine....how does that happen. Insurance settled with him. I hate ambulance chasers but honestly, my lesson in this is i would go on the offensive...btw....same thing happened to my wife....
Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I’m not a big fan of CarFax any more that Kelly Blue Book pricing. The Audi Q5 I bought had a clean CarFax until the Audi dealer discovered a front end accident. The accident had an insurance claim on it, was like $4k in damage to the bumper, radiator, AC condenser. The dealer then reported this to CarFax.

Then we had a 2nd front end accident (Lyft driver was at fault) and we had a $21k insurance repair! Guess what, no CarFax report on that.

Long and short of it, if you dig into CarFax pros and cons, you’ll find a lot of both sides.

What’s more important is how you document your own stuff, and be honest about it. Nothing worse than a buyer thinking they are getting a clean car, clean CarFax and then learning/discovering after they bought it, it’s not the case.
Agree 100%

Also this is why I always ignore clean carfaxes and have a high quality independent inspection of the car by someone who has access to a lift and can look underneath, inside the engine compartment, check the frame, bodywork, filters, oil, etc. There are so many things to check on these cars.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:11 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowpue
I had a similar situation where tricked out pick up truck with balloon tires clipped my nose like your car with mainly his tires impact in my car. No damage to his car. I told him let's just forget about it an go home....he started telling me I need to pay for his nerf bar damage which clearly i didn't cause (plus he came into my lane so was at fault) so we got insurance involved. i was able to wax the marks out and he used my insurance for neck and shoulder pain...i told insurance you are crazy to pay....no damage to my car and his truck is twice the size of mine....how does that happen. Insurance settled with him. I hate ambulance chasers but honestly, my lesson in this is i would go on the offensive...btw....same thing happened to my wife....
This is why I have a dashcam
Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM
marsh1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
This is why I have a dashcam
+1
Old 12-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I’ve been talking about getting a dadhcam for 3 years and haven’t. Shame on me, I can’t think of a good reason not to have one.

Quick Reply: Accident?!