Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What happens if I disconnect my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default What happens if I disconnect my battery?

I want to permanently install battery tender connectors on the terminals, but on the negative side I'd need to lift the terminal off the post to get the spade connector on the nut. If I lose power, will I need to call NASA/Porsche/Bosch/MicroSoft to restart the car, or will it sort itself out on its own like nothing happened? I could probably rig up some wire to keep the car powered when I pull up the terminal, if really needed?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

good question, I'd like to know as well, subscribed!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:00 AM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

From my experience, nothing happens, I didn't even lose my radio stations or seat position.

One piece of advice, before you disconnect the battery, bring your windows down a smidge so you are able to open the doors without any issues. Also, I put a small piece of wood on the latch, just in case the frunk slams down it won't close.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I've done it and nothing changed. Everything worked as before.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Yep, I swap out my lithium battery on occasion, and the computers sort everything out. As Aft86 said, lower your windows and DO NOT LET THE FRUNK CLOSE. If you really want, you can get an OBD connector that keeps power to that stuff while you do your work. If you unexpectedly do find yourself with a closed frunk and no power, you have to get power to the car from the fuse panel on the drivers' side. You pull out the positive post that's buried within that fuse box, and you have to connect the negative to either the door hinge if it's unpainted, or some cars have a little unpainted stud way inside the door front edge that you've probably never noticed. If your hinges are all painted, you have one of those studs. Battery tender is a good idea.

Last edited by Randyc151; 12-19-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I changed the battery in my last car and had no issues.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:55 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

No issues...
Old 12-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I've read there is some ECU programming to do when replacing the battery. Does that not apply when you just briefly disconnect and reconnect your existing battery?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:32 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Does that not apply when you just briefly disconnect and reconnect your existing battery?
Does not apply. Applies only when the battery is replaced.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
tallers
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I've done it and nothing changed. Everything worked as before.
I just did mine this weekend, no issues.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I wired up my battery ( Ctek) few years ago. I just loosened up the nuts on both terminals without actually disconnecting them so no disruption in power to car. I trimed the rings of the tender terminals and just slipped them under the nuts of the terminals and tightened them back down. fyi, The negative terminal
of the charger does not have to be attached to the negative side of your battery. Just attach it up to an unpainted ( bare metal) body nut near there.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
I wired up my battery ( Ctek) few years ago. I just loosened up the nuts on both terminals without actually disconnecting them so no disruption in power to car. I trimed the rings of the tender terminals and just slipped them under the nuts of the terminals and tightened them back down. fyi, The negative terminal
of the charger does not have to be attached to the negative side of your battery. Just attach it up to an unpainted ( bare metal) body nut near there.
Yeah, that's what I'll likely do. The neg terminal has a little cage around the nut that prevents it from loosening enough to get a spade under. There's also a neg post away from the battery for jumper cables. I guess they really don't want people hooking up to the battery. I looked around for a chassis ground point that would allow for tidy wiring, and didn't see one I liked, but I'll dive back in soon enough. Thanks all!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

Does not apply. Applies only when the battery is replaced.
Weird that somehow the car can detect the difference between reconnecting the old battery and connecting a new one?.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Yep, I swap out my lithium battery on occasion, and the computers sort everything out. As Aft86 said, lower your windows and DO NOT LET THE FRUNK CLOSE. If you really want, you can get an OBD connector that keeps power to that stuff while you do your work. If you unexpectedly do find yourself with a closed frunk and now power, you have to get power to the car from the fuse panel on the drivers' side. You pull out the negative post that's buried within that fuse box, and you have to connect the negative to either the door hinge if it's unpainted, or some cars have a little unpainted stud way inside the door front edge that you've probably never noticed. If your hinges are all painted, you have one of those studs. Battery tender is a good idea.
Here is a device that keeps the computers powered during battery swaps. You plug it into another car or 12 power socket on a jump starter and plug the other end into your Porsche's OBD port. https://www.batterychargers.com/en/p...ry-saver-cable
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_buch

Weird that somehow the car can detect the difference between reconnecting the old battery and connecting a new one?.
I'm not sure it knows the difference until you tell it there's a new one in there. Here's something I found re BMWs that presumably is similar on the Porsches...
https://bimmertips.com/bmw-battery-r...ing-explained/

Quick Reply: What happens if I disconnect my battery?