Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Cobb Tune ABR vs SBR (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1115956-cobb-tune-abr-vs-sbr.html)

Need4S 12-01-2018 10:11 AM

Cobb Tune ABR vs SBR

I have the latest tune for the 991 turbo. There is a choice between ABR and SBR, an aggressive vs stock boost curve, described below. If I install one, but want to switch, do I restore the stock map first, then reflash to the other, or go straight to the other? If I go straight to the other, will I lose the OEM map?

• Stock Boost Response(SBR)
    • Boost will stay similar to the stock calibration. Low and medium throttle angles remain relatively unchanged. High throttle angles will have increased boost over stock but the same power ouput as the ABR map.
  • Aggressive Boost Response(ABR)
    • Boost will build more aggressively than stock at low to medium throttle angles. High throttle angles will have the same power output as the SBR map. These maps are very similar to our initial V101 map.

Elliott991TS 12-01-2018 10:35 AM

I would give Sam by Design a call

FYI, the aggressive (ABR) tune on my car felt like it was sometimes going into neutral between gears, Sam assisted me to install the SBR and it's been perfect since . I think we just went straight from ABR to SBR, but I would verify with Sam. He is very helpful.

Penn4S 12-01-2018 11:31 AM

I also installed the Sport Tune vs Aggressive. I have some short commutes and felt the car would be more civilized with the Sport tune but still have plenty of oomph when needed.
Install the PDK Update and run the PDK Relearn Update is great for any driving and the Relearn which you will find in "troubleshooting" really smooths our the updated PDK. Whenever you install or uninstall the PDK Update run the Relearn.

SamboTT@ByDesign 12-01-2018 12:14 PM

Hi gents. Yes you can simply switch over. SBR still gives you all the power and performance just smoother pedal modulation. Some like the sensitive feel of ABR but it’s not as smooth.

AirBusPilot 12-01-2018 12:28 PM

I just installed the Cobb 93 stage 1 ABR tune and love it.

Need4S 12-01-2018 12:50 PM

Thanks! FYI, I think I will start with SBR. One thing I like about the car, especially on the track, is the smooth and progressive throttle, which makes it easier to balance the car through turns.

Need4S 12-07-2018 01:04 PM

Update. The SBR is fine and though I've not tried the ABR, I like how the SBR curve allows for easy commute driving and control over the throttle, yet there is no difference in overall power compared to ABR. The difference is simply the throttle response curve. There is still more throttle response and power than stock, even with ACN 91 tune, and you can definitely feel how the HP and torque curve over stock is much fatter from idle to about 4k RPM. The engine just seems not to have to work so hard at that range, which also shows up as less exhaust resonance in 7th gear at relatively low freeway speeds (60-65 mph; I have a Sharkwerks exhaust). If you're thinking there is no benefit to getting a Cobb tune because the car is already very powerful and you don't track your car, I suggest you re-think that. It makes for a better driving experience even when driven on the street.

AirBusPilot 12-07-2018 01:54 PM

With the ABR, it feels like the car lost a 1000 lbs.

SamboTT@ByDesign 12-07-2018 02:43 PM

Just goes to show...Something for everyone :)

Harry Da Hamster 12-07-2018 03:08 PM

Which one do i have Sam?

SamboTT@ByDesign 12-07-2018 03:18 PM

On our Stage 4 stuff it's about in between. Different with the upgraded turbo.

mwlmd 12-13-2018 06:07 PM

I am running stage 2 91 map with ABR and love it. I have noticed that sometimes when the car is cold and I accelerate in auto mode the engine cuts out a bit. In manual mode I don't notice this. I don't recall it ever doing it with stock ECU.