Sponsored by: Road Spy

Considering Selling my '15 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM
mango315
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Selling my '15 Turbo S

i got my 911 Turbo S in agate grey almost 4 years ago and it brought me nothing but pure joy....i always tried to make time for taking short drives in the backroads and always enjoyed it but am barely using it right now. it is in absolute pristine condition with burmester sound and all that...with under 11k miles...i live in NY so i never really drove it December - March

would u guys just hold on to it or would you sell it? i still love driving it but feel like I'm doing it less and less often. its already paid off and i would think i could get around 130k for it, maybe slightly less

so guys with a 911 as a 3rd car, do you like keeping it in the garage for the occasional drive or do you get rid of it once u see u are not really using it
Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Well this will be a personal decision but I will tell you from my experience if you are selling it for the money, be prepared. You will not get what you think you will get for it. If you don’t need the cash then hang on to it as they are wonderful and fun. If you truly aren’t driving it, then sell it just be prepared for the actual selling price. It will disgust you. Unfortunately they tank in value.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:53 AM
mango315
Track Day

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Well this will be a personal decision but I will tell you from my experience if you are selling it for the money, be prepared. You will not get what you think you will get for it. If you don’t need the cash then hang on to it as they are wonderful and fun. If you truly aren’t driving it, then sell it just be prepared for the actual selling price. It will disgust you. Unfortunately they tank in value.
yea in the end i know its my decision...i am semi-confident on the price with my research, but yea i would be losing about 70k...i don't technically need the money, but its always better to have some cash @ 2% in a savings account rather than hold on to a depreciating asset i am not getting use out of

and the main joy is from weekend trips etc, driving 3 miles in traffic to work i could drive an old kia

lets see, if i do sell and regret it, i can always buy one down the road...i know when porsche makes a substantial change (semi-electric engine, etc) i would be dying for the upgrade anyway
Old 11-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Frosty914
Track Day

Interesting scenario. I am looking to upgrade to a Turbo S. I am holding out for Midnight Blue Metallic. I’ve seen two 991.2’s that hover around $180K. I have a .1 CS in Agate that I’ll be offloading. I’ll hold onto my 88 Targa most likely. Why don’t you use your Turbo S more often?
I get the 3 mile commute not using it. I use my S a few times a week just making runs around town without both kids. Especially in the rainy and cold months when the Targa and the Alfa GTV are under cover in the garage.
Do you think you would feel differently about keeping the car if it was a GT3 or rarer interation? For the money of .2 or even a .1 Turbo S I could opt for an older GT3 or maybe even an older RS model. Does the Turbo S not feel special enough to just hold onto?
Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I would keep it if it gives you joy and you don't need money....but I am the wrong person to ask since I have many cars. I have a MB for a daily driver but I find I just drive my Lambo on sunny days and the turbo for rainy days (which are most days in seattle). In fact I am even getting another set of wheels and tire for the winter to drive even more. So maybe your problem is you are keeping the car as a garage queen and not driving it enough
Old 11-22-2018, 01:00 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm looking to get a Turbo S in the future so my opinion is biased I'd hold on to it.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

the 991.1 and .2 TS are holding values actually very well

however I believe that will end when we get closer to the 992 release, which is not for some time
Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Go look at selling prices on BaT for 996 and 997 Turbos. It seems to me that depreciation on well-kept Turbo models basically stops in the 45%-55% MRSP range depending upon mileage (and condition) of course.

Or, in other words, it doesn’t seem to me like there’s a lot of depreciation left in a ‘15 TTS.

So, don’t let that factor into your decision.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:24 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't look at the financial asset of the car, consider only the enjoyment that you receive from driving it that in my opinion is priceless. But if you are considering selling because of financial return that is a different story that needs to be addressed. And if that is the case
you will more than likely not get the price on return that you are looking for. If you love Porsches, hang in there for the 992 and get a build slot for the 992 TTS. That's what I would do, especially if the car is fully paid off. You just have to evaluate the true reason you want to
sell the car. Hey I'm a weekend driver as well. But each time I go and start up my car I get a thrill that I can't place any dollar value on.

Jay
Old 11-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I’m fortunate that I live in NorCal where I can drive it all the time. So if this were me, I’d keep it. But if you’re not using it, it makes perfect sense to sell it. Why not put a set of snows or A/S tires on it and drive it during winter as well? That would allow you to keep it and enjoy it. You’ve already paid for it.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 PM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sale it if your not driving it.

I’ve listed me 17 tts because I drive my raptor on a daily basis and when I don’t I take my tlx out. The tts was something I bought to replace a 997tts I got rid after having twins but after getting back into one I find myself not really going anywhere without the rest of the family and don’t really like taking it to work.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

A big factor to me would be the cost of keeping it, ie: Insurance, garaging and maintenance.
You can reduce those costs considerably if it is not being driven over the winter.
Remember that you have not lost a dime on the car's depreciated value until you sell it.
Even if undriven, my cars give me pleasure just looking at them each day, and knowing my steed
awaits me anytime I want it. If I did not need the money, I'd keep it. Obviously a new replacement
would be FAR more money spent. With its lowering depreciation costs each year, it remains a
very satisfying storehouse of value. But in the end, only you can evaluate the tangible and intangible
costs to you of keeping it vs selling it.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I think if you enjoy the car, and it makes you smile keep it. My 458 and RS pretty much stays parked in the winter, but I do enjoy them. I learned not to concern myself with value because I use them for what they are personal enjoyment, and I tinker with them in the winter. Glass of wine and music you can always enjoy the hobby. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Maverick787; 12-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I am with worf928. You already passed the steepest part of the depreciation curve. I'd keep it and use it even occasionally till 992 materializes and you know if you want it. That's what I am doing, but then I DD it year round.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by mango315
i would be losing about 70k
Holy $%&#!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Considering Selling my '15 Turbo S