Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Anyone traded your Turbo for a manual? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1113775-anyone-traded-your-turbo-for-a-manual.html)

99999 11-22-2018 12:09 AM

Anyone traded your Turbo for a manual?

I’m missing a manual transmission, but I’m loving my Turbo for what it is. I’m curious, have any of you traded your Turbo to go back to a manual, and if so, which one did you choose? GT3? Maybe a GTS, to keep AWD and the back seats? I’ve thought of both. Not sure I wouldn’t regret it though either. Why I’m coming to you all for thoughts and experience on the matter.

Penn4S 11-22-2018 06:52 AM

If I were to search out a manual it would be a GT3 Touring.
I'm just so happy with the TTS I would not do it.

Lo911TTS 11-22-2018 09:21 AM

I have a C3 corvette with a four speed that I drive when I get an itch to drive a manual. Clearly its not quite the same as driving my TTS
but it does the trick for me. I had an M4 with a manual before I got my TTS so I do miss it sometimes.

Michael_s 11-22-2018 09:51 AM

I have a manual M3 Comp package in 6 speed to row my owns gears. I added a stage 3 Dinan package. It's no TT, but for 65K (I bought it slightly preowned) its well over 500 HP and is really fun.

Bruce H. 11-22-2018 12:12 PM

My theory is that if you love a manual you're maybe always going to miss not having one. I have a '19 Turbo S on order and have been struggling with the decision whether to sell my 6 speed Viper TA as part of the deal to buy it for the tax savings. The TA would be sort of similar to comparing a GT3 or RS with a manual compared to the Turbo S with PDK. So completely different cars to the Turbo in so many respects, beyond just the transmission, that I just don't see how one could replace the other.

Would you be fully satisfied if you could put a manual in your Turbo... or would you miss the PDK for many of your uses with it? That might tell you if you need to change the car or add another. For me I'm just not ready to sacrifice one for another, but when that day comes I'm sure I will. Good luck with your decision!

Best,

Bruce

SCA11 11-22-2018 12:47 PM

I bought a GT3 Touring to replace my 2014 Turbo. I really loved the Turbo but the GT3 is more engaging and more fun to drive, and part of that for sure is the 6 speed manual.

no-subt2 11-22-2018 02:35 PM

You could look for a TT in a manual, but it might not be as new or as powerful as you would like. For me, my 2011 TT 6MT fits the bill, but I had to look long and hard for it.

rodsky 11-22-2018 04:14 PM

I’m the opposite. just sold my 993 6MT to get my TT. So far not missing it. Lambo is not manual either. Have no manuals right now. May want one again at some point. Of all of them, I loved my 85 911 maybe the most. I like older manuals and newer for PDK. What about a 911T?

worf928 11-22-2018 04:24 PM

Why is this an either/or situation?

Garage space? Build more.

SO? Suggest that one purse should be all that’s needed. It’s just for carrying stuff right? (Then, duck.)

Keep the TT when two-pedal crushing of all opposition is the need and buy something, in addition, that is a fun driving experience.

lowpue 11-22-2018 04:25 PM

While I love driving manual transmission cars,I am an acceleration junkie....to be fast you need PDK...case and point....A manual gt3 0-6 is something like 3.8 sec and PDK is something like 3.1. For pure exhilaration, I drive my TTS or Huracan. For an "engaging and fun" drive, I use my 996 with a 997S Engine and Transmission with 400HP. However, acceleration and performance can never be matched. If I were you, I would keep turbo and by a 996 for your shifting pleasure...cheap, a Porsche and you don't have to worry about it.

lowpue 11-22-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15448859)
Why is this an either/or situation?

Garage space? Build more.

SO? Suggest that one purse should be all that’s needed. It’s just for carrying stuff right? (Then, duck.)

Keep the TT when two-pedal crushing of all opposition is the need and buy something, in addition, that is a fun driving experience.

Great minds think alike....I think we posted about the same time. :burnout:

NVRANUF 11-23-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 99999 (Post 15447716)
I’m missing a manual transmission, but I’m loving my Turbo for what it is. I’m curious, have any of you traded your Turbo to go back to a manual, and if so, which one did you choose? GT3? Maybe a GTS, to keep AWD and the back seats? I’ve thought of both. Not sure I wouldn’t regret it though either. Why I’m coming to you all for thoughts and experience on the matter.

I traded my 991.2 TTS on a GT3 Touring. I was never able to "fall in love" with either the 991.1 TT or 991.2 TTS, and I tried!

If you have a TT or TTS and have a nagging thought in the back of your mind.... as great as this car is, something is missing.... Maybe you are a candidate for a GT3 Touring.

The Touring scratches all my itches. I could not be happier with the whole driving experience.

If you are happy with the Turbo experience, I salute you AND all the money you will save.

lowpue 11-23-2018 05:52 PM

I would think the GT3 TOuring is the one to have for sure...Its what we all waited for with 911R but never got access to.

neil.schneider 11-24-2018 05:52 PM

I love the PDK. When they came out with this i went and bought a Caymen S. After that I would never go back. I have been stuck in so many traffic jams where I was concerned I would wear out the clutch in one day. Lol. PDK for me all the way.

Big Swole 11-24-2018 07:00 PM

Like said above, I'm a performance / acceleration junkie!! I love rowing gears too but when I sold my 996TT 6MT for my 997.2 TTS w/PDK, I never looked back.

I am however looking to buy something way less expensive to scratch the "manual" itch!

Keep your TTS and buy something else manual to drive on occasion.

My .02