Snow Tires - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Snow Tires

Old 10-29-2018, 06:58 PM
korntera
User

Default Snow Tires

I called discount tire today and they said they had nothing available for standard sizes and they only had one option available for a "similar size" tire that would work.
He then brought up going with new wheels and tires and said, thank god you don't have the race nut... "Sir I said it only had one large lug on the wheel" Him "The 453 ft lbs of torque one?"
Yup, not sure how to get new wheels for this car, yet i also see many with 5 lug wheels in a 5X130 if im not mistaken pattern. How would i convert to 5 lug and is that tough to go back and forth?

I live in the PNW and make trips over the mountain and honestly think my Turbo S would do better in the snow than my Raptor. Its actually not very good in the wet and all snow tires look dumb on it because they have no massive mud *****. Wifes X5M runs snow tires but i can't take hers if she needs it for the day.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:51 AM
neil.schneider
User

I believe that it is possible to change, but kind of expensive. I don’t know if it will be worth it why not consider just changing them back-and-forth twice a year?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:00 AM
korntera
User

Originally Posted by neil.schneider View Post
I believe that it is possible to change, but kind of expensive. I don’t know if it will be worth it why not consider just changing them back-and-forth twice a year?
there is only one brand of snow tire available and they are $2,600 installed. Nobody makes the TTS sizes. Thought maybe someone would know of a less expensive alternative as my wife’s M has larger tires and they were only $1800.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:47 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tirerack has wheel/snow tire packages available for center lock wheels. Only O.Z. wheels and Michelin snow tires but those are fine.

Porsche also offers a winter package: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1G2STCLWS.html

Old 10-30-2018, 04:22 AM
MaxLTV
Addict
Rennlist Member

The standard winter sizes for Turbo and Turbo S are 245/35-20 front and 295/30-20 rear. Maybe there are options in 19", but that would be a gamble as to wheel fit. There are at least two good brands widely available in these sizes - Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 and Pirelli Winter Sottozero II, and a set runs about $1500-1600 on Tirerack or maybe even cheaper at discount tire places. Those are top-tier tires, magical traction on snow and ice, and some say Michelin is slightly better. These tires fit on standard OEM wheels, so you can just swap tires back and forth. If buying wheels, the cheapest option is to buy a set of OEM take-offs for winter. Often those can be found for way less than a set of any good new wheels anywhere, and they are very high quality.

So winter wheels/tires are not an issue, regardless of the number of nuts.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I run Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tires on the OE wheels on my 991.1 TTS. I bought a new set of custom wheels for my summer tires. This option has worked very well for me.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:01 PM
mwlmd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just went through the same exercise in my mind for this upcoming winter. I decided to not get winter tires and drive my Denali when its inclement weather. We will see how it goes. You might consider getting a set of severe snow rated AT tires for your Raptor. There are 3 options at tirerack. Dynapro AT-M, Goodyear Duratrac and Pirelli Scorpion.

Then save the 911 for those dry winter days!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:08 PM
korntera
User

Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I just went through the same exercise in my mind for this upcoming winter. I decided to not get winter tires and drive my Denali when its inclement weather. We will see how it goes. You might consider getting a set of severe snow rated AT tires for your Raptor. There are 3 options at tirerack. Dynapro AT-M, Goodyear Duratrac and Pirelli Scorpion.

Then save the 911 for those dry winter days!
I have goodyear Duratrac on my raptor. When it was 50 and rain it would spin the rear tires with anything beyond normal driving, not even full throttle so im scared that it will be awful. Granted that was in 2wd mode but my old truck with dedicated snow tires could ddrive in the snow in 2wd without any issues, 4WD was just a plus.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 PM
mwlmd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by korntera View Post
I have goodyear Duratrac on my raptor. When it was 50 and rain it would spin the rear tires with anything beyond normal driving, not even full throttle so im scared that it will be awful. Granted that was in 2wd mode but my old truck with dedicated snow tires could ddrive in the snow in 2wd without any issues, 4WD was just a plus.

I hear you. My Previous Toyota Sequoia (2015) with Nitto Terra Grapplers would spin in 2wd mode on wet pavement every stop!! However in 4wd it was a beast and made countless trips to Hood and Bachelor and Montana in all types of ice and snow. Your Raptor will do fantastic in 4wd. I wouldn't worry one bit!

Plus we need to avoid all the winter gravel our lovely DOT dumps on the roads to bang up our 911s!!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It’s always nice to have a truck to drive in winter conditions. I’ve got a Denali 1500 Crew Cab that I drive in snow and slush. For me, the winter tires on the 911 are more useful for cold, dry pavement or for those unexpected icy patches in shady spots on the road.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:27 PM
AviBen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I decided to go with the Porsche winter wheel set (currently comes with the Michelins, which I wanted). Went through my dealer, made a fair deal. They switch the wheels out twice a year, and store the benched off-season set, for a reasonable price.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 PM
neil.schneider
User

I just went through this same dilemma. What I ended up doing is buying a set of wheels/tires off one of the other rennlisters here. I am excited to drive my 911 through the winter without worrying about grip. Must remember that even if there is no snow or rain when the temperature falls below 40° the tires can easily slip. They become very hard. I’ve noticed this especially when going around corners.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Top Jimmy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by korntera View Post
Need some weight in the back, otherwise the torque will spin tires out on a truck. They are just too light back there. Otherwise run in 4WD and have the weight of the engine over the front tires for better traction. Most folks here will throw some 50lb sand bags in the back between the wheel wells in the winter for more weight to stay in 2WD.

-TJ
Old 11-02-2018, 12:25 AM
AKSteve
User

Anyone know if there's much difference between the N0 and N1 versions of Michelin Alpin PA4's? I've been running the same set of N0's on my Turbo for the past 3+ winters and I'm debating whether to upgrade or just keep these for another winter.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:43 AM
mwlmd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AKSteve View Post
Anyone know if there's much difference between the N0 and N1 versions of Michelin Alpin PA4's? I've been running the same set of N0's on my Turbo for the past 3+ winters and I'm debating whether to upgrade or just keep these for another winter.
I would say if the tread is usable then use them. Winter tires have a limited service life so go by the remaining tread and not by the letters on the sidewall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: