Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Opinions on future purchase (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1108533-opinions-on-future-purchase.html)

dannyss 10-29-2018 04:10 PM

Opinions on future purchase

Good day to all,
My first post on Rennlist.
A bit of background, me and wife want to buy our first Porsche after deciding that our next couple's project is to go to the track and do a few DE during the summer.
We live in Montréal, about 1.5 hours from Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant.
So obviously, we are thinking of buying a CPO 911. No need to recommend the Cayman. We test drove one, I feel totally cramped in it. I'm* 5'11", 205-215 lbs, have been in gyms for 17 years and the wife is also broad shouldered as she's been in gyms for a while also. I love her but having to rub shoulder and arms while driving is not what I like to do with her in a car ;)
Our 3 choices are, a 2017 C4S (recent, longer available warranty), a 2015 C4GTS (less of these in our region, more power/torque)and a 2014 911 Turbo (fell in love with the 930 Turbo when was teenager, more torque).
All different beasts with different engines and HP/Torque curves.
Apart from doing DE events, the car would be a weekend ride on the highway/mountain roads and an occasional daily driver.
There's no plan on keeping it for long term. A couple of years maybe. Should not be used in winter months, but we never know, we do live in the great white north. That's why we are looking at 4wd.
What are your opinions and why?

korntera 10-29-2018 04:42 PM

So take my advice with a grain of salt since i just purchased my first Porsche Saturday, but i was in the same dilemma. I wanted either a new C4 GTS, possibly new or 991.2 C4s or a 991.1 Turbo S... The Turbo S if you can afford it is no comparison. Going from a c4s to a gts is like "cool, its a more track oriented S" going to the Turbo is like "OMG my face is melting from acceleration and the brakes are bashing my forehead into the windshield, why would anyone make a car this fast!"
I am excited to track my Turbo S this year and am curious how much wear it will put on the CCB's. I would like to think i drive pretty hard as i have been an instructor for years.

Randyc151 10-29-2018 05:47 PM

The TTS is just as easy to learn track driving as the others, but you will be able to have a much higher ceiling on how much faster you can become. To me and probably most others in this thread, there is no substitute for the Turbo S if you can afford it. (Plus these cars have shown to be nearly bullet-proof, so they are equally as durable as other Porsche 911's.)

dannyss 10-29-2018 05:53 PM

First, congratulation on you new car.
I've tried a 2018 C2 and a 2017 C4S, I could easily notice the power/torque difference between the two. Both of these are 3.0l turbo, but have not tried a 3.8l engine yet. I'm test driving the C4GTS next Friday and the 2014 911 Turbo next Monday.
Unfortunately I do not want to put the amount asked for a Turbo S.
I'll have a better idea of what grabs me most after driving the GTS and the Turbo.
Tough choices :)

korntera 10-29-2018 06:00 PM

What is your budget, mine was "around 100k" and i walked away with a 135K car. There is a nice 113K turbo S in california that is CPO, thats probably closer to a C4 GTS price which i couldn't find any C4 GTS only the C2 in my area and they were 85-90K for non CPO cars so i would expect high 90's which is only 15K less than a CPO Turbo S

dannyss 10-29-2018 07:55 PM

You have to realize that i'm in Montreal, Canada. So, market is different and prices are a bit higher than US prices with exchange.
Our budget is between $100k CAD to $140k CAD.
The 2015 C4GTS is priced at $139,995 CAD and the 2014 Turbo is also $139,995. At this time we're not looking at Turbo S'. The cheapest one in Canada is a 2015 coupe at $169,990 CAD and is in Ontario, none in Quebec. Only 3 Turbo S in Canada!
The Turbo S you mention in California at $113k would come to $147k with exchange, much lower than in Canada, but it has to be imported with all of the paper work and inspections involved.

abiazis 10-29-2018 09:29 PM

Turbo will meet the needs you described.....I went through same process trading new 18 GT3 for 17 CPO Turbo S....better car overall..

Randyc151 10-30-2018 12:24 PM

Yep, everything I said about the TTS still applies for the TT. Don't worry about that!

Dr Chill 10-30-2018 06:34 PM

When it comes to any major purchase, I always spend 10-15% more than my budget, and ALWAYS end up happier in the long run. Go big.

Papa Fittig 10-30-2018 11:27 PM

I had a 2015 GTS and now 2014 TTS. These are two completely different cars. The former is a NA and the latter is a FI. Different power and torque curves. They drive different on the road and more so on the track.
If you go turbo, IMO go Turbo. If you like NA for high revving and the SOUND and do not mind going high rpms for the torque, go GTS. If you like torque over anything and like POWER at any rpm, got Turbo. I'd cross 992.2 turbo-no-capital T out.

abiazis 10-30-2018 11:32 PM

Good description...torque is the point of difference.....

lowpue 10-31-2018 02:05 AM

So I had a 2015 GT3 and just traded in my 2009 C4S for the 2014 TTS....I can say this....I think the TTS is the best all around sports car I have ever owned....that includes my Huracan which is parked next to TurboS. I am super impressed because it does everything really well.

Papa Fittig 10-31-2018 02:33 AM

It is hard to beat TTS as an all-rounder. It's tough to beat GT3 as a track car. OP was talking track, so if the money is no isue, GT3 could fill the bill.

dannyss 10-31-2018 10:28 AM

Papa Fittig,
The GT3 is out of the equation, money is an issue.
Available torque at a wide RPM range is one of the factors that's important for me.
I'll be testing them both this extended weekend.
One factor is the ease of resale in about 1.5 years after purchase. Another factor is the WOW factor. To me the 991.1 TT has it, maybe a bit less than a TTS, but still...

lowpue 10-31-2018 12:32 PM

My experience with my GT3 was mixed...While it is a fantastic precision machine, mine smoked everytime I started it. It took 30 minutes for my garage to clear and was told that is normal by Porsche. Frankly, Porsche also said there is nothing wrong with M96 engine so I felt that the GT3 engine was another coverup. The good news is the 991.1 GT3 engines are all now warrantied for 10 years so at least you are covered but at the same time it is admission there is something wrong. TUrbo has no such issues that I know of...yet. BUt something that I feel pretty strong about is every generation of Turbo is pretty much bulletproof.