Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Opinions on future purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:20 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

GT3 is cheaper than TTS (2014 vs 2014), GT3 has 10years/120k miles warranty on engine. If you buy CPO, either car gets you through 2020.

Between GT3 and TTS, I would go TTS. Add snow, TTS for more reasons. Add mountains and elevations, TTS for more reasons.

TT are awesome too and cheaper, but no PCCB, no PDCC, and for market price, you get a lot more in the used TTS for your money.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:44 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

I got a call from the Dealer this morning, management won't let the Turbo out for a test drive. Weather is too cold. We're deep into fall up here. It' 2deg Celsius today. I get it, summer tires on a TT and cold asphalt, rain..., ingredients for trouble.
No way will I buy a $140k CAD car without a test drive.
But weather for next Monday call for sun and 9deg celsius. Just warm enough for the summer tires. Called them back to see if they'll reconsider considering the change in weather.
Just venting a bit.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:49 PM
dannyss
Racer

A/S,
There a 2015 GT3 for sale at one the local dealer, asking is $5k CAD over the 2014 TT.
Interesting, but as you said, the TT would be more of a Daily when necessary. And the wife wants rear seats.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

The cars are not bone China. If you get a day in the 40's there is no problem for a drive. If they won't let you drive it move on. It's a car not an antique.
The TTS is a very capable car so a test drive is not going to hurt it.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:29 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
My experience with my GT3 was mixed...While it is a fantastic precision machine, mine smoked everytime I started it. It took 30 minutes for my garage to clear and was told that is normal by Porsche. Frankly, Porsche also said there is nothing wrong with M96 engine so I felt that the GT3 engine was another coverup. The good news is the 991.1 GT3 engines are all now warrantied for 10 years so at least you are covered but at the same time it is admission there is something wrong. TUrbo has no such issues that I know of...yet. BUt something that I feel pretty strong about is every generation of Turbo is pretty much bulletproof.
I agree that Turbos have been reliable. GT3 early in the model years had engine issues and Porsche had to warrant the engines for 10 years. I nevertheless have a soft spot for 4.0NA and MT combo. And I admire your Huracan!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
The cars are not bone China. If you get a day in the 40's there is no problem for a drive. If they won't let you drive it move on. It's a car not an antique.
The TTS is a very capable car so a test drive is not going to hurt it.
Exactly. Plus if you don't buy it now, the chances are they won't sell it till spring. Tell them you are serious.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM
dannyss
Racer

I feel a bit put-off by their attitude. When we told the salesman that the TT was our number 1 choice at their dealership, he said 'no problem, let's scedule a test drive, the car will be outside all ready for you'. Then 2 days later says it won't happen with the colder weather. I left him a voice mail the next day, asking him to call me back since the weather was to be warmer that day, no call back.
I'm tempted to just drop them for now, wait it out and see if I could find another one.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

If you do find another one you like and buy make sure to drive by and beep and wave at them.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 PM
korntera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it was just a bad sales guy?
The dealership here let my wife and i take out a C4S in 50 degrees and rain and we are in our early 30's no questions asked. Even let us get on the car and drive it hard in the rain. However the sales guy wouldn't call me back and only responded to one email days later with pretty much no answer. I liked the dealership but when i went in to buy i talked to someone else that would actually follow up with me and follow through and he got the sale.
Another friend bought his from a dealer 5 hours away since he wanted CPO and said he has had no issues servicing at a local dealer. Buy wherever they will take care of you.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:10 AM
dannyss
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
If you do find another one you like and buy make sure to drive by and beep and wave at them.
Will do for sure
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 AM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dannyss - I hope you get a chance to drive the TTS. If you drive it, you will buy it. I can't say I blame the dealer for not letting the car out with low temps on Montreal. These summer tires have a tendency to to turn into hockey pucks. Lots of potentially unpleasant things could happen.

I had to wait 3 days to test drive my TTS. The front tires were bare and it had not been through the shop (as it was a lease turn-in). The wait was unbearable! I did put a deposit on it (subject my test drive). I am glad I did as there were 4 other people with deposits in line after me.

I sure hope you don't wait 'til spring for your first test drive. As a former Montrealer, I still have nightmares of pot holes that can swallow cars!

Best of luck!
Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

I would vote for the newer 2017 C4S as it is the newer twin turbo 6 and has plenty of power and torque, especially over the N/A C4GTS
Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Turbo will meet the needs you described.....I went through same process trading new 18 GT3 for 17 CPO Turbo S....better car overall..
I would be very interested in your opinion of the ‘18 GT3 vs the TTS. I am on the list for a new GT3, if I can’t get one my other choice is the TTS. The power of a turbo is very intoxicating, I still get a rush every time I drive my 997TT.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The Turbo or Turbo S is the best choice
Old 11-03-2018, 11:14 AM
dannyss
Racer

Test drove a 991.1 C4 GTS yesterday, in the rain and cold weather. Spun the rears a few times but nothing dramatic happened. The dealer rep was in the front with me and the wife in the rear seat. He's the one who took me to an industrial area street to test her out. Even told me I could floor the gas if I wanted to. That's when the rears spun for the first time.
Being a NA engine, torque is delivered quite differently than the 3.0l FI. Slow to build but fun when it gets there. Got to keep her in the 5-6500rpm range for some fun and good acceleration from a rolling start. Quite different than the 3.0l but fun in another way. Fun to hear the engine rev when downshifting to keep her in the fun zone.
A lot of the word fun, I suppose I had a good time with the GTS !
A one owner, 18k Kms, black on black with black wheels but silver headlights. Full front PPF. Standard GTS alcantara interior. Center locks.
It's my wife's number one choice for now, even though she didn't take the time to drive it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on future purchase