Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Periodic clutch adaptation with PDK? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1104864-periodic-clutch-adaptation-with-pdk.html)

the_buch 10-15-2018 01:27 PM

Periodic clutch adaptation with PDK?

I notice my clutch seems to be a bit 'soft' when taking up first thing while cold. It's pretty tight once everything gets warmed up though. How often does the clutch need to go through any sort of adaptation sequence? Thanks, Doug

desmotesta 01-25-2020 12:48 PM

My new to me 991.1 PDK has similar issue.

I keep going back and forth between clutch odor and coolant odor. Almost always after a spirited drive. Car has 25k miles so it’s not new.
may have to take it to the dealer.

Fr3nch 02-09-2021 11:30 PM

Any resolution to this? I’ve got an odor coming though the ac vents that reminds me of transmission fluid. Also after a spirited drive.

the_buch 02-10-2021 01:09 PM

For me, it seems to be just a matter of the PDK fluid warming up to operating (and therefore optimal hydraulic friction) temperature. It shouldn't smell?

AIM Performance 02-11-2021 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by the_buch (Post 15362121)
I notice my clutch seems to be a bit 'soft' when taking up first thing while cold. It's pretty tight once everything gets warmed up though. How often does the clutch need to go through any sort of adaptation sequence? Thanks, Doug

doing a PDK relearn once in a while is not a bad idea. you can feel when the car needs it. PDK starts to feel clunky on downshifts or shifts at wide open just don't feel as crisp as they should.

Fr3nch 02-11-2021 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by AIM Performance (Post 17224858)
doing a PDK relearn once in a while is not a bad idea. you can feel when the car needs it. PDK starts to feel clunky on downshifts or shifts at wide open just don't feel as crisp as they should.

How do you do a PDK relearn?

AIM Performance 02-11-2021 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fr3nch (Post 17224868)
How do you do a PDK relearn?

Porsche PIWIS or COBB AP w/PDK software.

dgreen78 02-11-2021 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by AIM Performance (Post 17226799)
Porsche PIWIS or COBB AP w/PDK software.

Any tricks to getting the Cobb pdk software to do a re-learn? Have tried about a dozen times and it fails every time. Car is at operating temp.

arkadyzv 02-12-2021 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dgreen78 (Post 17226876)
Any tricks to getting the Cobb pdk software to do a re-learn? Have tried about a dozen times and it fails every time. Car is at operating temp.

Make sure you have the latest updates from cobb. I had the same issue when they first came out with the PDK software, no matter what I did it would not complete the relearn. Finally a few revisions later they fixed whatever was making it fail. But the porsche PIWIS tool had no issues doing the relearn Thats your best option if the Cobb wont do it. I even reached out to cobb, and it was a waste of time. Mind you this was years ago so it might be something worth trying now if you can't get access to PIWIS.

I do a relearn on mine every few months depending on launches and abuse. I think for most once a year should be enough. But as mentioned above the easiest way to tell if it needs a relearn is to drive in in regular mode and if it doesn't feel crisp then it will benefit from a relearn.