Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Winter driving - TTS in Chicago area (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1100069-winter-driving-tts-in-chicago-area.html)

AviBen 09-26-2018 06:32 PM

Winter driving - TTS in Chicago area

I'm seriously considering getting winter tires and wheels for my TTS for this winter (Chicago area). I'd greatly appreciate the observations, experiences and tips of those of you who have actually done the same in a similar climate. At my age, I'm very aware that the number of warmer weather driving seasons I have left are very finite, and so I want to "do it now" as much as possible. After having foregone the use of my sports cars every winter for years, I'm experiencing anticipatory grief at the thought of storing both of my Porsches this year for 5 months (Nov. thru March). (I would still store the Boxster, of course.)

alevine 09-26-2018 06:57 PM

I live in Chicago and have a 991 GT3 as well as a 991 TTS. Although I have never driven either car in the winter one of my buddies who lives nearby drove his 991 GT3 in the winter for I believe two seasons. He put winter tires on a set of aftermarket rims. I believe his commute is about 30 miles each way. An all wheel drive TTS will drive very well in the snow. I have been driving M3's with snow tires for years. Heck, I even out snow tires on a Corvette and drive it year round. You should have no issues driving a TTS with decent snow tires.

alevine 09-26-2018 06:58 PM

BTW, I'm in Deerfield/Riverwoods. Do you live nearby? If so, I've seen your car. Beautiful! Love the color!

abiazis 09-26-2018 10:20 PM

I used my 993 Carrera 2 cab in Chicago Naperville area for 2 years with Winter tires with no issues other than driving cautiously. Rear engine weight is the key.......I also placed a 50 pound bag of sand in the front trunk to assist the car in the front which was not all wheel drive.

Mike Murphy 09-26-2018 10:29 PM

I live in the Oak Park / River Forest area and had 911s and Boxsters in the city and I’ve driven my cars year round. I’ve driven mostly on all seasons, although I’ve had other cars with dedicated winters (Mini, M5) as well.

When you start getting further out, plows become more rare, and snow past 7” becomes a problem with all seasons.

I know the salt is the major concern with these cars, but they are just cars, and they still don’t rust easily. I say you go and do it. You will start to look forward, like I do, when the snow starts to fall fast and heavy, to going out for a lovely drive in the snow.

AviBen 09-26-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by alevine (Post 15319905)
BTW, I'm in Deerfield/Riverwoods. Do you live nearby? If so, I've seen your car. Beautiful! Love the color!

Yes, thanks, and we met over at The Porsche Exchange, last year I think. In fact, I think it was seeing your TTS on the I-294 Tollway a couple of years ago that got me interested in the TTS.

alevine 09-27-2018 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AviBen (Post 15320397)
Yes, thanks, and we met over at The Porsche Exchange, last year I think. In fact, I think it was seeing your TTS on the I-294 Tollway a couple of years ago that got me interested in the TTS.

Nice! Your car is absolutely beautiful! I saw you driving a few weeks ago and told my wife I may need to sell mine a get one in Chalk. Love that color.

AviBen 09-27-2018 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by alevine (Post 15322335)
Nice! Your car is absolutely beautiful! I saw you driving a few weeks ago and told my wife I may need to sell mine a get one in Chalk. Love that color.

That's what happened to us -- our prior TTS was only a year old but when we saw the chalk sitting up front in the showroom we had to have it!

sechsgang 09-29-2018 07:09 AM

actually 991 turbo s with stock ride height and dedicated winter tires is an ANIMAL in the snow. The only issue you COULD have is if there is enough snow that you end up being a plow, that could be a little of an issue...but if you have decent road clearing crews and less than 5.5 inches of snow at any given point on the road, you should be fine.

AviBen 09-29-2018 12:37 PM

Many thanks for the responses (and if there are more that would be great, too). So encouraging!

rcg412 09-30-2018 09:41 AM

This car is unbelievable in snow (I have a 14 TT). Definitely do it.

I use Michelin pilot sport alpin. the N-rated version.

sscofield 09-30-2018 06:39 PM

I have had each new 911 turbo model each year over the past 10 years as well as a Cayman and Boxter at the same time. I live in South Dakota, out in the rural area, and have driven the cars year round.

It is important to have winter tires, not only for the traction, but also for the rubber chemistry.

I only drove the cars when the rodes were cleared of snow, but minus temps were never an issue with the correct rubber.

ace37 10-03-2018 12:21 AM

The car is great in the snow on proper tires. Clearance is the biggest issue, and if you just drive in salt, over a long term corrosion would become a concern. Here are two threads on mitigating corrosion:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9646...r-driving.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-the-snow.html

chance6 10-06-2018 08:44 PM

I plan on driving my TT in the snow up here! Gonna order a set of winters and probably some gray OZ's. I'm looking forward to driving this thing in the winter. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, on winters?? Gonna be great.

neil.schneider 10-06-2018 11:35 PM

I was also wondering whether I should buy a set of winter tires and drive it all winter long. What I usually do is just keep my car in the garage and only take it out after warms up. We Usually get warm days during winter anyway. I don’t feel like I’m going to be driving it in the heavy snow. I have another car for that. As such for me, I don’t feel it’s worth the expenditure.