Sponsored by: Road Spy

Winter driving - TTS in Chicago area

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:32 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Winter driving - TTS in Chicago area

I'm seriously considering getting winter tires and wheels for my TTS for this winter (Chicago area). I'd greatly appreciate the observations, experiences and tips of those of you who have actually done the same in a similar climate. At my age, I'm very aware that the number of warmer weather driving seasons I have left are very finite, and so I want to "do it now" as much as possible. After having foregone the use of my sports cars every winter for years, I'm experiencing anticipatory grief at the thought of storing both of my Porsches this year for 5 months (Nov. thru March). (I would still store the Boxster, of course.)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in Chicago and have a 991 GT3 as well as a 991 TTS. Although I have never driven either car in the winter one of my buddies who lives nearby drove his 991 GT3 in the winter for I believe two seasons. He put winter tires on a set of aftermarket rims. I believe his commute is about 30 miles each way. An all wheel drive TTS will drive very well in the snow. I have been driving M3's with snow tires for years. Heck, I even out snow tires on a Corvette and drive it year round. You should have no issues driving a TTS with decent snow tires.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

BTW, I'm in Deerfield/Riverwoods. Do you live nearby? If so, I've seen your car. Beautiful! Love the color!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

I used my 993 Carrera 2 cab in Chicago Naperville area for 2 years with Winter tires with no issues other than driving cautiously. Rear engine weight is the key.......I also placed a 50 pound bag of sand in the front trunk to assist the car in the front which was not all wheel drive.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I live in the Oak Park / River Forest area and had 911s and Boxsters in the city and I’ve driven my cars year round. I’ve driven mostly on all seasons, although I’ve had other cars with dedicated winters (Mini, M5) as well.

When you start getting further out, plows become more rare, and snow past 7” becomes a problem with all seasons.

I know the salt is the major concern with these cars, but they are just cars, and they still don’t rust easily. I say you go and do it. You will start to look forward, like I do, when the snow starts to fall fast and heavy, to going out for a lovely drive in the snow.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alevine
BTW, I'm in Deerfield/Riverwoods. Do you live nearby? If so, I've seen your car. Beautiful! Love the color!
Yes, thanks, and we met over at The Porsche Exchange, last year I think. In fact, I think it was seeing your TTS on the I-294 Tollway a couple of years ago that got me interested in the TTS.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AviBen
Yes, thanks, and we met over at The Porsche Exchange, last year I think. In fact, I think it was seeing your TTS on the I-294 Tollway a couple of years ago that got me interested in the TTS.
Nice! Your car is absolutely beautiful! I saw you driving a few weeks ago and told my wife I may need to sell mine a get one in Chalk. Love that color.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alevine
Nice! Your car is absolutely beautiful! I saw you driving a few weeks ago and told my wife I may need to sell mine a get one in Chalk. Love that color.
That's what happened to us -- our prior TTS was only a year old but when we saw the chalk sitting up front in the showroom we had to have it!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

actually 991 turbo s with stock ride height and dedicated winter tires is an ANIMAL in the snow. The only issue you COULD have is if there is enough snow that you end up being a plow, that could be a little of an issue...but if you have decent road clearing crews and less than 5.5 inches of snow at any given point on the road, you should be fine.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Many thanks for the responses (and if there are more that would be great, too). So encouraging!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:41 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

This car is unbelievable in snow (I have a 14 TT). Definitely do it.

I use Michelin pilot sport alpin. the N-rated version.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had each new 911 turbo model each year over the past 10 years as well as a Cayman and Boxter at the same time. I live in South Dakota, out in the rural area, and have driven the cars year round.

It is important to have winter tires, not only for the traction, but also for the rubber chemistry.

I only drove the cars when the rodes were cleared of snow, but minus temps were never an issue with the correct rubber.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:21 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The car is great in the snow on proper tires. Clearance is the biggest issue, and if you just drive in salt, over a long term corrosion would become a concern. Here are two threads on mitigating corrosion:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9646...r-driving.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-the-snow.html
Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 948 Posts

I plan on driving my TT in the snow up here! Gonna order a set of winters and probably some gray OZ's. I'm looking forward to driving this thing in the winter. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, on winters?? Gonna be great.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:35 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

I was also wondering whether I should buy a set of winter tires and drive it all winter long. What I usually do is just keep my car in the garage and only take it out after warms up. We Usually get warm days during winter anyway. I don’t feel like I’m going to be driving it in the heavy snow. I have another car for that. As such for me, I don’t feel it’s worth the expenditure.

Quick Reply: Winter driving - TTS in Chicago area