Sponsored by: Road Spy

High Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default High Miles

My work situation changed in recent months and has required me to drive far more than I had before (went from 5 mile commute to doing nearly 700 miles per week). This is only going to happen for one year.

I currently split the commute load between a range rover sport and my '17 TTS. I have a new toy 991.2 GT3RS coming in soon and the TTS or the RRS has to go. My wife has her own SUV for child duties.

My question is: with this sort of commute, is it insane to keep the TTS instead of the range? My car currently has 8k miles and will probably around 35k miles by next spring.

My turbo is CPO so in terms of warranty coverage, miles aren't an issue. I do worry about the terrible depreciation the car will take with that kind of miles as well as reliability.

So, keep the range or keep the turbo?

Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 AM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Whats your sanity worth to you on the commute? I drive about 80 miles round trip a day during the week with my S, in ATL traffic. Thankfully there are places I can open her up in that commute...if I had to drive my Raptor or Wife's Macan...I'd lose my mind.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

I would dump the TTS due to losing about 40K at this point and possibly another 10-20K in another year, (unless the RRS loses more) and your car mix with be SUV, SUV and RS track only weekend car........RRS is the daily for the next year at least and potentially could trade that after the year on what you want to mix in again........I just sold my GT3.2 for a TTS.2 for somewhat similar reasons......as my 993 can't commute by choice and my wife has a SUV.......

Last edited by abiazis; 09-03-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

either way, the car with the most miles will depreciate, but I would not make my decision based on that

for me, which car would I like to drive? that is the only question, the rest will soon be forgoten anyway, as money comes and goes but memories last a lifetime

driving an RS on the street will be far more jarring than the TTS
Old 09-03-2018, 04:03 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
either way, the car with the most miles will depreciate, but I would not make my decision based on that

for me, which car would I like to drive? that is the only question, the rest will soon be forgoten anyway, as money comes and goes but memories last a lifetime

driving an RS on the street will be far more jarring than the TTS
Hard decision.

i really like the Turbo as a daily but I worry about super high mileage for a car that will only be 2 years old.

The RRS is a great paticularly for the snow but terribly boring.

The 3RS will be a weekend, nice day car but won’t see daily duties
Old 09-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

then drive the turbo, reliability is not an issue as these cars are rock solid, you will lose about 10K for the higher mileage, but I would rather enjoy the car
Old 09-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Does your wife enjoy driving the Turbo S? If so, I'd keep them all because you also want something nice to haul 2 couples if need be. Unless your wife has a nice SUV too, then you could lose your RRS. I drive a large car for my daily commute (55 miles each way) and prefer the larger vehicle for that ride for comfort reasons. It can also haul 5 people in comfort. I plan on having two "toys", one for track (Z/28) and other for street.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Does your wife enjoy driving the Turbo S? If so, I'd keep them all because you also want something nice to haul 2 couples if need be. Unless your wife has a nice SUV too, then you could lose your RRS. I drive a large car for my daily commute (55 miles each way) and prefer the larger vehicle for that ride for comfort reasons. It can also haul 5 people in comfort. I plan on having two "toys", one for track (Z/28) and other for street.
Thank you for all the feedback.

My wife has a full size range rover which can haul the kids and dog but if i get rid of my RRS then that’s our only car to do so.

I’m leaning towards keeping the Turbo and eating the depreciation later (2-3 years from now).
Old 09-03-2018, 05:53 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep turbo imo
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

You can always buy a new Turbo after the year is up too, as an option if you use the RRS for work.......I used to have a Cayenne GTS for work because I had to take people out all the time, which in the two seater, you can't unless you always have someone else drive, etc.....
Old 09-03-2018, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Sell the RR and daily the TTS.

Better MPG with the TTS
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSBoneDoc
My work situation changed in recent months and has required me to drive far more than I had before (went from 5 mile commute to doing nearly 700 miles per week). This is only going to happen for one year.

I currently split the commute load between a range rover sport and my '17 TTS. I have a new toy 991.2 GT3RS coming in soon and the TTS or the RRS has to go. My wife has her own SUV for child duties.

My question is: with this sort of commute, is it insane to keep the TTS instead of the range? My car currently has 8k miles and will probably around 35k miles by next spring.

My turbo is CPO so in terms of warranty coverage, miles aren't an issue. I do worry about the terrible depreciation the car will take with that kind of miles as well as reliability.

So, keep the range or keep the turbo?
Where do you live. If winter isn't an issue drive the TTS. If snow is in the forcast then I would keep the range rover and drive that because the TTS will take a beating during the winter months.

Jay

Quick Reply: High Miles