Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone purchase sight unseen ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:04 PM
mickmc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone purchase sight unseen ?

I'm looking for my first Turbo and I found one at a Porsche dealer thats over 1K miles away. It's a CPO'ed 2015 with less then 20K miles. I've tried to schedule time to take a look but with my own business i just cant take 2 days away. Am i crazy to spend $100K plus without seeing it in person?
Old 09-02-2018, 05:12 PM
slink
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've purchase a couple of CPO Porsches sight unseen. No problems with either one.

Have the sales person do a walk around while you're on the phone. You can also have your local Porsche service advisor call the selling dealer and see what he can find out.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 PM
gsc
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did, no issues, but always research the dealership...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 PM
GreginNH
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Invest in a Pre Purchase Inspection.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM
mickmc
Track Day

Since its just been CPO'ed wouldn't that basically be the same as a PPI?
Old 09-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve bought two CPO Porsches long distance. No issues either time.

If it’s a legit dealer and CPO, I wouldn’t think twice. Just make sure the car has the options you want and don’t assume anything with a Porsche.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

If you look over the forums you will find that many other rennlisters are happy to checkout the car on your behalf. Post a request listing the specific location.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I would have someone also come by and take high quality pictures.. usually quite inexpensive -- $100 or so. That plus a PPI with a paint meter... you should be OK.

I have seen cars CPO'd with accidents, panels repainted, etc. Not typical, but PPI + paint meter will take care of that. High quality photos for good measure. This is the process I followed when acquiring my '12 TTS, and it was flawless except for a few expected rock chips.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

No issues with my purchases....
Old 09-02-2018, 08:46 PM
mickmc
Track Day

Thanks for the responses so far, I definitely feel more comfortable moving forward. Who normally does the PPI? If I pay the dealer that's selling the car for a PPI doesn't it defeat the purpose, especially since I cant be there in person.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mickmc
Thanks for the responses so far, I definitely feel more comfortable moving forward. Who normally does the PPI? If I pay the dealer that's selling the car for a PPI doesn't it defeat the purpose, especially since I cant be there in person.
Typically you want an independent party doing the PPI (other dealer, recommended Porsche indie shop), assuming you want to play it the safest. I feel there's less risk on a CPO but I always get a paint meter reading. I bought my Spyder CPO'd from a Porsche dealer and I allowed them to do a PPI because it was CPO, and had a paint meter reading done on multiple areas of each panel. And actually from what I recall, they were doing the CPO inspection process and didn't even charge me anyway.

I feel that with a (mostly) new car that just went through the CPO process, a print out of the CPO inspection report along with service records and a properly done paint meter reading might be sufficient for many buyers. Otherwise, $200 is cheap piece of mind.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I would not. I’m very picky about condition and don’t trust any dealer. CPO does not equal good/great condition. 100k is a lot of cash and I’m careful with my money and would not want to be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

CPO or not, not all Porsche dealerships are created the same. You're buying the dealer as much as the car if you opt not to see the car personally. Keep that in mind. No PPI is perfect and at the end of it all it's your money and your car. I would (and did) find a way to trip two states away one afternoon/evening to see the car, test to my satisfaction, close the deal and drive home.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 473 Posts

I have purchased several cars without seeing them, scared to death the first time I did it, now not an issue anymore. My last Porsche came from Tampa, I live in Pa, have a friend that is a detailer and he looked at the paint for me, said it looked as good as any new car on the lot, not hard to believe with 2004 miles on it. Had the sales manager put in writing that if the customer, (me) was not happy they would put it back on the Lambo truck it was delivered in and refund my money, but the car was perfect. I made the delivery part of the deal, delivered to my driveway.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much since you're buying a CPO from a Porsche dealership. There are mechanical and cosmetic standards the vehicle needs to pass. The only thing i would worry about is a paint correction detail. I bought private party sight unseen and my car was advertised as immaculate with a very recent paint correction with no body damage with a backup camera. There were moderate swirls, a ding on the rear fender lip that PDR cannot fix (meaning body work and paint), and no backup camera. I got a good deal below current market average, so that's the risk i assumed...

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase sight unseen ?