Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone purchase sight unseen ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:07 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
I wouldn't worry too much since you're buying a CPO from a Porsche dealership. There are mechanical and cosmetic standards the vehicle needs to pass. The only thing i would worry about is a paint correction detail. I bought private party sight unseen and my car was advertised as immaculate with a very recent paint correction with no body damage with a backup camera. There were moderate swirls, a ding on the rear fender lip that PDR cannot fix (meaning body work and paint), and no backup camera. I got a good deal below current market average, so that's the risk i assumed...
There was recently a vehicle listed as CPO by Porsche that had an accident. One reason I always paint meter anyway. Certainly taking a risk not doing a PPI or having the same dealer do the PPI. I was OK with that risk on my last purchase.

I have never bought a car private party of this caliber though. Not saying I would avoid it, but I think I'd be a bit more nervous.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mickmc
I'm looking for my first Turbo and I found one at a Porsche dealer thats over 1K miles away. It's a CPO'ed 2015 with less then 20K miles. I've tried to schedule time to take a look but with my own business i just cant take 2 days away. Am i crazy to spend $100K plus without seeing it in person?
I purchased mine sight unseen but I did hire an independent Porsche-certified mechanic to go visit the dealer, inspect the car thoroughly both bodywork, paint depth, and including lifting the car to inspect the chassis. He also looked at all wearable things like the PCCBs, pads, filters, etc. And I had him test drive it. Was probably a better due diligence than what I could do myself.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:05 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mickmc
Since its just been CPO'ed wouldn't that basically be the same as a PPI?
No for two reasons:
1) An accident does not prevent a Porsche from being CPOd if it was repaired properly to Porsche standards
2) Moral Hazard because you have a principal-agent problem - the person inspecting works for the person who is selling. You want it inspected by someone who works for the person buying (i.e. you).
Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 AM
mickmc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s my biggest concern having the dealer who’s selling the car do the PPI. The dealer is in Alabama, are there any qualified shops that can do a PPI?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Find the nearest competing Porsche dealer or a good indy shop.Get the PPI and make sure it passes. I bought a car in New York this way and saw it for the first time the day I completed the purchase and drove it home.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Cayenne and a 2016 TT Cab with out seeing them (in person) until they were delivered. First if using a Porsche dealer and it's CPOed your covered . As far as pings and dings and wear...have the sale person go over the car with you via FaceTime and have him do it in and out of the sun light. Pay attention especially to the Drivers side entrance for wear and tear and the hood for rock marks, look over rims for curb rash, etc.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2018, 08:55 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - bought a CPO 911 from Florida and it was absolutely perfect. I'm in Michigan.

That said, CPO means nothing. I traded in a VW Passat that was in a bad accident, had serious damage, aftermarket/junkyard door, all kinds of issues. Dealer put some lipstick on it, slapped on the CPO label, and sold it.

I think the key is trust. Do you trust your salesperson 100%? Can you make a deal to return it, like someone suggested above? Can you get someone to look at it locally for you? I would absolutely make sure you're covered. I think I just got lucky on my CPO 911.

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase sight unseen ?