Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   Gt3 better then a TTS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/1094696-gt3-better-then-a-tts.html)

Georgemaser 09-01-2018 09:47 PM

Gt3 better then a TTS?

Why do all the reviewers rave about the gt3 and they are not as kind to the tts? Calling it boring? Why is the gt3 so much better?

Big Swole 09-01-2018 10:28 PM

Yet you put them on the same track with the same driver and the TTS will likely (as done many times before), be quicker than the GT3.

Unless you're full time tracking, or just have to have a third pedal, and don't mind a horrible ride on the street, The TTS is just about Perfection IMHO.

worf928 09-01-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Georgemaser (Post 15260029)
Why do all the reviewers rave about the gt3 and they are not as kind to the tts? Calling it boring? Why is the gt3 so much better?

Because the GT3 is more exciting. Because the TTS beats the pants off of the GT3 but does it with no drama.

Or, in other words, it's much easier to kill yourself in a GT3 than in a TTS.

abiazis 09-02-2018 01:12 AM

As a daily the GT3 would not do for a variety of reasons..... Turbo S more versatile....... better low end grunt from 2500 RPM......
Bought a 17 with 10k miles certified today GBM for 171k............ very happy..... traded new white GT3 with less than 800 miles....happy camper......after buying 200k GT3 did not want to track it.......and as a daily lots of cons although could be done......looks like I got a great price....car is film protected too..... as new condition in and out with 7 CXXX options special order - originally 205K in 17.......wife is happy too.....

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...52781993fe.jpg

cpbmd 09-02-2018 03:21 PM

Do you guys have a gemeral idea of the maintenance costs of the PCCBs for regular driving? Not track use at all. I am thinking of a Turbo S but the ceramic breaks maintenance cost gives me pause.

Thanks
CB

abiazis 09-02-2018 03:25 PM

Most people tell me that with no track use that they are that durable that you won't have to worry about replacing the rotors.........I had the same concerns with that and squeaks and am totally pleased with my new acquisition TTS with PCCBs from my GT3 with irons.....sorry I could not offer any costs for replacement pads, etc.....

cpbmd 09-02-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by abiazis (Post 15261295)
Most people tell me that with no track use that they are that durable that you won't have to worry about replacing the rotors.........I had the same concerns with that and squeaks and am totally pleased with my new acquisition TTS with PCCBs from my GT3 with irons.....sorry I could not offer any costs for replacement pads, etc.....

Excellent. Thanks. It is nice to hear I am not the only one with this worry. I will continue to look around. I can get an allocation for a Turbo S this Fall but I am thinking it might be better to look for a lightly used TTS. (I assume TTS means Turbo S? Not exactly sure )

Big Swole 09-02-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by cpbmd (Post 15261278)
Do you guys have a gemeral idea of the maintenance costs of the PCCBs for regular driving? Not track use at all. I am thinking of a Turbo S but the ceramic BRAKES maintenance cost gives me pause.

Thanks
CB

Fixed it for ya ^^^

There shouldn't be any maintenance cost for basic street driving. Rotors could last you a life time and pads could only need replaced once in your ownership if you kept it a LONG time!!

Originally Posted by cpbmd (Post 15261307)

Excellent. Thanks. It is nice to hear I am not the only one with this worry. I will continue to look around. I can get an allocation for a Turbo S this Fall but I am thinking it might be better to look for a lightly used TTS. (I assume TTS means Turbo S? Not exactly sure )

Yes, TTS = Twin Turbo S...AKA "Turbo S".

carguy84 09-02-2018 07:48 PM

What kinds of daily driving issues cropped up for you in the GT3? Looking to make the move from a TTS to a GT3.

abiazis 09-02-2018 08:12 PM

I needed to get down to 3 cars, so I traded a Cayenne GTS and GT3 for the TTS, kept the 993 cab and my wife will get a new 19 Cayenne when they arrive in the fall.......I could have used the GT3 as a daily but my original plan was to hold the GT3 for 2-3 years and then buy a CPO 17 or 18 TTS then and not take the biggest initial depreciation hit. The GT3 prices probably will stay stable for at least until the new one comes out and I observed that 3 year old TTS cars were losing $80K in about 3 years so that is real money no matter what you make.........so ultimately, see a 17 CPO this early made the decision easy as I took advantage of paying no tax on the TTS...............

guab 09-02-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by cpbmd (Post 15261307)

If you are picky on spec and do not mind taking a hammer the first year on depreciation, it would be a great experience to spec one, as well as do euro delivery. I did ED on the M4 and it was wonderful. Perhaps if you can get a decent discount on an allocation it would help reduce that first year impact enough to warrant it.

alevine 09-02-2018 09:00 PM

I have both a 991 GT3 and 991 TTS. They are very, very different cars. Both can be daily driven however the GT3 is much more of an experience, if there such a thing in a Porsche. The TTS is much, much more comfortable, quiet and enjoyable say for a Saturday night with your wife. The GT3 on the track is unreal not that the TTS is not but the GT3 is much more engaging and fun to drive at the limit. It is more confidence inspiring as the PDK is better at track duty. Now, I bet if you put comparable tires on the TTS it would change a lot but all else equal if I had to keep only one car I would likely keep the GT3 although I do love the TTS!

Randyc151 09-02-2018 10:33 PM

I think Georgemaser (OP) just likes to throw around bombs and then disappear. This is the same guy that complained about Champion Porsche a while back about his deposit. He threw them under the bus and then when silent. This time, he's in a TTS forum asking if the GT3 is better and then disappears. Ridiculous.

Dr Chill 09-02-2018 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by abiazis (Post 15261775)
I needed to get down to 3 cars, so I traded a Cayenne GTS and GT3 for the TTS, kept the 993 cab and my wife will get a new 19 Cayenne when they arrive in the fall.......I could have used the GT3 as a daily but my original plan was to hold the GT3 for 2-3 years and then buy a CPO 17 or 18 TTS then and not take the depreciation hit. The GT3 prices probably will stay stable for at least until the new one comes out and I observed that 3 year old TTS cars were losing $80K in about 3 years so that is real money no matter what you make.........so ultimately, see a 17 CPO this early made the decision easy as I took advantage of paying no tax on the TTS...............

Not sure where you are getting the $80k depreciation hit on a 3 yr old TTS because you just bought a 2 yr old one for around $34k under MSRP. I just looked at Manheim for 2016 Turbo S coupes and found the wholesale auction results to average around $150k for a car in 4.3-4.5 condition, higher for mint cars. That's about $50,000 off sticker assuming $17,000 in options (2016 base MSRP $182,700) in 3 years. Considering you should be able to get 4 or 5% discount on these cars, that equates to around a $40,000 depreciation hit. In my opinion, buy new and spec it how you want.

That being said, I think your new car is gorgeous and I hope you really enjoy it. Seems like a solid deal on a great car.

abiazis 09-03-2018 03:58 AM

Wish I had the money for both plus a Ferrari V-12