Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gt3 better then a TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:59 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Exactly right RODSKY, no correct answer whether one is better than the other....a good analysis. It seems people like the short term 2-3 year non-depreciation factor of the GT3, which is historical versus the TT/TTS depreciation curve.

I had to make a similar decision, but made a purchase first, knowing I would be financially insulated and did not lose any $ after having the 18 GT3....as you seem to know, the TT/TTS is no slouch on the track or autocross in sport or sport plus mode......

AND you have 2 back seats for the kids for short trips...

If you can find a nice super clean 2017 and up CPO on Porsche.com.....that helps with the cost...
+991

I am looking right now for a 2017. I personally dont want to take a huge financial hit buying new. TT's do depreciate more than a GT3. But at the same time, i am not buying this car to preserve value (or i'd be back to a GT3). i want to use it - a lot. But the 2017's and 2018's TT's seem to be holding up quite well value wise.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:41 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts

Old 10-08-2018, 12:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
+991

I am looking right now for a 2017. I personally dont want to take a huge financial hit buying new. TT's do depreciate more than a GT3. But at the same time, i am not buying this car to preserve value (or i'd be back to a GT3). i want to use it - a lot. But the 2017's and 2018's TT's seem to be holding up quite well value wise.
Update - bought a 2016 TT Convertible on Saturday. After driving it, its a perfect complement to the Performante. Civilized, comfortable, great daily ride, excellent sound (Burmeister), fast enough to go to work, drive spirited Canyons, top down So Cal cruising, go to golf etc. I'm very happy. So glad i didn't get a GT3 NOW. I would have preferred an S - but this one was available and a perfect spec and to be honest - was fast enough for a daily driver. Have a smidge of S envy

I still want a GT3 badly - plan is to eventually tire of the Lambo and then move that out and get a 991.2 GT3.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Congrats...you will love the TTS....super versatile car.....fast as heck....effortless with tons of low end torque....
Old 10-11-2018, 01:52 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
Congrats...you will love the TTS....super versatile car.....fast as heck....effortless with tons of low end torque....
Thanks! So far I love it. Its perfect for what I want as a daily. Understated, sporty, versatile and fast.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:17 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thanks! So far I love it. Its perfect for what I want as a daily. Understated, sporty, versatile and fast.
how do you compare the car to the lambo ?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
how do you compare the car to the lambo ?
OMG they couldn't be more different. After 1 week with the TT, I love it. Its an awesome DD. The seats are comfortable, its a little under the radar (although not completely as i still get some attention), the Burmester sound is stellar, everything works, its really fast, Torque is great for around town. I think i'm getting old, but i really think this is the ultimate daily and just a spectacular car. I could envision a road trip and you could devour miles in absolute comfort. But its also sporty enough to do canyons and have a blast. I was searching for a GT3 but am so glad that i changed to the TT. I know convertibles aren't for everyone but man o man - Porsche did a great job with this one. In So Cal, its a cool option. For some reason, i never wanted a TT. Now, I am wondering why i didn't do this sooner. Live and learn.

The Lambo - its a drive it at 6am car - canyons or track. The attention is too insane ( i dont like that), its so low, its so loud, the seats are so hard. My palms are sweaty when driving it and the adrenaline is certainly going. Its extremely quick and handles like nothing else. You absolutely cannot DD it . The V10 NA sound and response is top 3 for me. They did a great job on this thing. But its very focused on what it is and its not good at the things the TT is good at.

On balance, i will eventually tire of the Lambo. As amazing as it is, its uses are limited. When that happens and if i can continue to afford toys, i will keep the TT and get a 991.2 GT3 (perfect combo for me, i feel)..
Old 10-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Have owned both, 997.2TTS and currently 991.1 GT3. Which is better, as mentioned already it depends on application. For the street, the TTS has no equal. It’s simply the best. Great handling, comfort, luxury feel, incredible low-end torque (which NEVER gets old) and fast as hell. If you are also into modding, the turbo platform is the best and it’s easy to unleash an additional 100HP, with a minor tune.

For the track however, the GT3 has no equal. The GT3 is lighter, has much better steering response, and it’s linear power delivery make it ideal for the track. The GT3 shines in its braking as lighter means better deceleration and later brake application (your rotors will thank you. The TTS is so heavy that it consumes pads and rotors way more). The GT3’s RWD (vs. TTS AWD) translates to improved steering response and scalpel like handling to the TTS heavier handling. The GT3 also rotates better on track as you can get the rear to slide a bit, with throttle steering, to aid rotation (if you manage to get the TTS’ rear loose, you’ve messed up and it’s not a good feeling). The only edge the TTS has on track is sheer power and straight line speed (580HP/553 lb-ft vs. 500HP/339 lb-ft for the 991.2 GT3). Straight line speed and AWD will get you low lap times but they mask a lot of driver errors that the incredible nannies correct behind the scenes. The GT3 is less forgiving.

I switched to a GT3 because I wanted to be a better driver on the track but I find that I drive my GT3 less and less on the street as it doesn’t come close to matching the comfort and everyday utility of my TTS. Neither is better than the other, both excel at their respective design/build intentions.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Have owned both, 997.2TTS and currently 991.1 GT3. Which is better, as mentioned already it depends on application. For the street, the TTS has no equal. It’s simply the best. Great handling, comfort, luxury feel, incredible low-end torque (which NEVER gets old) and fast as hell. If you are also into modding, the turbo platform is the best and it’s easy to unleash an additional 100HP, with a minor tune.

For the track however, the GT3 has no equal. The GT3 is lighter, has much better steering response, and it’s linear power delivery make it ideal for the track. The GT3 shines in its braking as lighter means better deceleration and later brake application (your rotors will thank you. The TTS is so heavy that it consumes pads and rotors way more). The GT3’s RWD (vs. TTS AWD) translates to improved steering response and scalpel like handling to the TTS heavier handling. The GT3 also rotates better on track as you can get the rear to slide a bit, with throttle steering, to aid rotation (if you manage to get the TTS’ rear loose, you’ve messed up and it’s not a good feeling). The only edge the TTS has on track is sheer power and straight line speed (580HP/553 lb-ft vs. 500HP/339 lb-ft for the 991.2 GT3). Straight line speed and AWD will get you low lap times but they mask a lot of driver errors that the incredible nannies correct behind the scenes. The GT3 is less forgiving.

I switched to a GT3 because I wanted to be a better driver on the track but I find that I drive my GT3 less and less on the street as it doesn’t come close to matching the comfort and everyday utility of my TTS. Neither is better than the other, both excel at their respective design/build intentions.
Whatever you need to tell yourself. The TTS spanks the GT3 in every direct comparison I've ever seen, and that's stock vs stock. Put Cup2 tires on both and the TTS is gone. Maybe you need to drive a 991 gen Turbo S?
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (11-04-2019)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob

Great synopsis......depends on use....
Old 10-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Whatever you need to tell yourself. The TTS spanks the GT3 in every direct comparison I've ever seen, and that's stock vs stock. Put Cup2 tires on both and the TTS is gone. Maybe you need to drive a 991 gen Turbo S?
It’s not a pissing contest, I’m just sharing my opinion having owned both. While I’ve never tracked 991TTS (mine was a 997.2TTS), I currently track regularly with a great guy and solid driver in the Advanced Black group in my PCA region who drives a 2017 991TTS very well. I am within 1-2 secs of him in my lowly 991.1 GT3 (475HP/329 lb-ft) at VIR, WGI and NJMPs. His car pulls ridiculously strong on the straights however I manage to claw back in the more technical sections. I love the TTS platform and will definitely own another one in the future, however for right now, tracking is my focus and for that, the GT3 is simply a better tool, for me. The TTS in any model year is an amazing car, as mentioned, a super car for the street. To each his own.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

The 997.1 and 997.2 Turbo and TurboS have horrible balance and handling, and they cannot get fixed with parts, as the core performance limitation is the AWD programming sending power to the front with any minimum rear slip angle.

991 Turbo fixed the gremlins in the AWD plagging the performance in the 993, 996 and 997 TT. First Porsche 911 Turbo that is truly track capable.

My fastest track lap times (any track) are done by my 991 TTS and not by my 991 GT3 RS, but the RS is more fun (mainly due to the engine sounds). Both cars are fantastic, but the odometer doesn't lie, I drive the TTS more than the RS.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (11-04-2019)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
The 997.1 and 997.2 Turbo and TurboS have horrible balance and handling, and they cannot get fixed with parts, as the core performance limitation is the AWD programming sending power to the front with any minimum rear slip angle.

Never heard this take before. I sure hope that's not quite the truth. I don't have much to compare to since coming from a 996TT to the 997.2 TTS, but I love how it handles. Of course on track that may change. With better tires It could change too. My PS2's are decent but I've reached their limit in the mountains a few times.

Last edited by Big Swole; 10-18-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S

991 Turbo fixed the gremlins in the AWD plagging the performance in the 993, 996 and 997 TT. First Porsche 911 Turbo that is truly track capable.

My fastest track lap times (any track) are done by my 991 TTS and not by my 991 GT3 RS, but the RS is more fun (mainly due to the engine sounds). Both cars are fantastic, but the odometer doesn't lie, I drive the TTS more than the RS.
Interesting opinion and you are entitled to it but I totally disagree. The 997 TT/S are well balanced and the only “handling issues” have nothing to do with the AWD system but with the default factory normal PASM setting which is tuned too soft from the factory and induces unwanted dip, squat and lateral rolls. Most owners address this with a combination of aftermarket coil-overs/springs, sway bars and/or TPC’s DSC module. The 997TTS then handles beautifully.

The 991 TTS did get a revised electro-hydraulic AWD system from the 997 TTS but in testing, most reviewers couldn’t discern any noticeable difference in how the system allocated torque between the front & rear axles from the AWD system in the 997 TTS. The real reason why you probably felt more stable, and could push the limits further in the 991TTS on track (vs. the 997TTS or RS) has more to do with the 991s wider track, longer wheelbase, better aero, re-calibrated steering, new rear-wheel steering, new PDCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) and don’t forget wider front tires. I have driven the 991TTS and I know the technical differences between the 997 and 991 as I spoke to Porsche as I considered “upgrading”. I opted for the 991GT3 for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Many who drive the 991TTS on track are oblivious to the bevy of unobtrusive electronic driver aids that are constantly working. The 991TTS has a revised PTM (traction management) which works brilliantly with the PASM system to keep the 911TTS in line...it is very very hard to slide the 991TTS unless you really screw up! These aids give many drivers the illusion of enhanced driving ability as they turn faster lap times (the 580HP/553 lb-ft) doesn’t hurt either. I am not saying you are not a good track driver however don’t discount the engineering helping you (a little understanding of the technical aspects of the car and how it compares to prior models wouldn’t hurt either). There is a reason the 997TT/S is regarded as the last of the visceral ‘modern’ turbos and arguably the best to combine classic 911 styling and modern supercar performance, while retaining a direct line to the classic 911 interior of old! I love all TT/S but please don’t say the 997 had “horrible balance and handling”, it’s simply not an accurate statement.

Last edited by Akunob; 10-19-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

^^^^^Thank you SIR!!! That made me feel a lot better.. I was hoping that was just one random opinion vs. fact about our 997.2TTS's.

Quick Reply: Gt3 better then a TTS?