Sponsored by: Road Spy

Spoiler Loss on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts
Default Spoiler Loss on Freeway

Has anyone ever gotten this alert below. Was driving home and suddenly it popped up. Spoiler was down and i couldnt even manually get it to go up by pressing the button. when i got home turned the car off and on. Then i could manually press the button and it went up / front spoiler extended. Havent had a chance to go back out and get it back up to speed..

Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Same problem here. Almost certainly the front spoiler. I've been just deploying them when I get on to decent roads (I have to drive some rough country roads to get there) and leave them deployed. I believe the front spoiler isn't deploying fast enough when you're driving over 70mph with them in sport / normal modes and that's causing the error. The thing that's annoying is that it won't try again and it disables your deployment button.

Had my car at the shop Friday and they ran out of time to fix it ... without keeping the car for days. So I believe they're ordering the pneumatic parts and it's being replaced this week or next (when it comes in).
Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Same problem here. Almost certainly the front spoiler. I've been just deploying them when I get on to decent roads (I have to drive some rough country roads to get there) and leave them deployed. I believe the front spoiler isn't deploying fast enough when you're driving over 70mph with them in sport / normal modes and that's causing the error. The thing that's annoying is that it won't try again and it disables your deployment button.

Had my car at the shop Friday and they ran out of time to fix it ... without keeping the car for days. So I believe they're ordering the pneumatic parts and it's being replaced this week or next (when it comes in).
Thanks. Just so i understand. So you can deploy manually too? (FYI - i deployed both front and back successfully - manually). But it doesnt deploy automatically when driving at over 75?
Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Kapoosh1
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...g2LWdhcw%3D%3D

You likely need that part plus Porsche will have to program it. I had the same problem (worked manually but would get the error at speed and spoilers would retract).
Old 07-06-2020, 04:54 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I got this message twice on the same day. The first time it happened I was on a highway and I hit a speed somewhat higher than what's shown in the photo

I manually operated the spoiler and it went away. I drove another 7k+ miles or so after that and it never happened again.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Search is your friend. At least 4 previous threads.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, my spoilers will manually deploy but I need at least two full key cycles to get it to work after I get the error.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks like a typical spoiler gremlin....and there's plenty of em
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digits
I got this message twice on the same day. The first time it happened I was on a highway and I hit a speed somewhat higher than what's shown in the photo

I manually operated the spoiler and it went away. I drove another 7k+ miles or so after that and it never happened again.
Thanks digits - I'm hoping thats what happened to me. I will try and test a little later - post traffic.

Worf - i know there are plenty of threads. My question was specific to the spoiler both front and rear - could be manually operated to go up and down. I just got that error message whilst driving. Given that it was going up and down after the message - i figured what ever motors or mechanisms that make it go up and down were still working. It may be something else.

Update - benefits of Covid and emptier freeways. i just hopped in and got on the fwy up to 85'ish. Saw the spoiler go up - no error message. And then retract automatically when at slower speeds. So i'll keep an eye on it and hopefully its fixed itself. Or just have it checked out when i'm in for a service. Its still under warranty (CPO).
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
Worf - i know there are plenty of threads. My question was specific to the spoiler both front and rear - could be manually operated to go up and down. I just got that error message whilst driving. Given that it was going up and down after the message - i figured what ever motors or mechanisms that make it go up and down were still working. It may be something else.
Sounds like the same problem I had. See #11:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...ure-stuck.html

List of other spoiler threads:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...l#post15598939

The key to diagnosis is to completely characterize the problem including *exactly* how to repeat it, write it up, hand the write-up to the technician (not service advisor), and then go over it with the tech.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928

The key to diagnosis is to completely characterize the problem including *exactly* how to repeat it, write it up, hand the write-up to the technician (not service advisor), and then go over it with the tech.
Wow - who would have thunk the variations. Maybe I'll have to check out all the use cases. Thanks Worf.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928

and that part that you had replaced is exactly the same part that Kapoosh refers to..
Old 07-07-2020, 01:03 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow - who would have thunk the variations. Maybe I'll have to check out all the use cases. Thanks Worf.
The system has many possible failure modes. Pneumatics at the front with a bladder, hoses, and a pump with (somewhat) integral pressure sensor. Hydraulic (or electric, don't recall) at the rear. Wiring in between and all software controlled.

and that part that you had replaced is exactly the same part that Kapoosh refers to..
If your symptoms are identical to mine then yes, probably. But, as above, there are many failure modes and they will manifest differently. So, exact characterization is paramount.

In the absence of error codes and in the presence of ambiguous error codes, dealer techs don't, in general, get paid to spend their time figuring out how to trigger failure modes like this. It's generally a non-tech given instructions to drive the car and attempt to characterize the failure enough to describe it to the tech. Thus, why the quickest, best out come is to be able to explain to the tech exactly what's happening and what isn't happening.

In my case it was the pressure sensor that failed. It's available separately from the pump (when I checked) but Porsche, it seems, prefers to warranty the whole pump rather than pay a tech to disassemble/reassemble the pump (I suspect due to risk of follow-on warranty service if the pump isn't correctly reassembled.)

I suspect that 10 years hence Active Aero Delete may become a popular DIY task.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:44 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

Not a big fan of the cop bait spoiler.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:19 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

I’m having the exact same problem...intermittently losing spoiler...sometimes the warning pops up when the pooled isn’t eve deployed..seems to happen most when accelerating through 80 mph.

Took it to Porsche Irvine, got very frustrated because without finding a hole or signs of damage to the from spoiler airbag they gave me an invoice for $5k to replace everything...when I asked where the leak was they admitted that after having my car for 4 days all they had done was pull codes.

It can’t be an leak though because it’s intermittent....that would defy physics.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Loss on Freeway