Sponsored by: Road Spy

Mass members with after market cats

Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM
jdonnelly
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Mass members with after market cats

Hi:
I am looking for input on anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust in MA, my concern is passing the smog sniff test during the inspection. The state seems to be cracking down on everything not stock. I am looking at doing a header/cat/exhaust system and don't want to fail the "sticker" Anyone out there with a 991 and either 100 or 200 cel cats?
Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 06:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by jdonnelly
Hi:
I am looking for input on anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust in MA, my concern is passing the smog sniff test during the inspection. The state seems to be cracking down on everything not stock. I am looking at doing a header/cat/exhaust system and don't want to fail the "sticker" Anyone out there with a 991 and either 100 or 200 cel cats?
Thanks
I take it that you have always been ‘at arms length’ during inspection? Or, IOWs, you employ an intermediate to bring your cars to inspection? Or you don’t yet live in MA?

MA hasn’t done exhaust sniff tests in at least a decade. As long as you:
- have a front plate
- there are *NO* ODB-II engine or emissions codes
- your exhaust isn’t obviously a lot louder at idle

... no one will care.

If you get unlucky and a visual inspection is performed as required, then, as long as all the above apply and there’s no obvious absence of cats...

... no one will care.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 AM
jdonnelly
5th Gear

I'll go with the 'at arms length'. Every time I brought a car in, I am required to leave it outside and sit in the waiting area. I have been free for 40 years and am lucky enough to have the "green plates" so we don't need to worry about a Ft plate. Thank you for the info.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 473 Posts

Not in MA, but PA, as said they plug the car into the OBDII port, no codes no problem. I have headers, 100 cell cats with Kline exhaust, no problems with inspection here, I have a 991.2 tts
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll go with the 'at arms length'. Every time I brought a car in, I am required to leave it outside and sit in the waiting area.
Ah. Yes. Of course. I forget that most folks aren’t paranoid 928 owners trying to prevent divots in their Porsche’s floor structure from thoughtlessly-placed floor jacks.

FYI, You are only ‘required’ to not interfere with the person performing the actual inspection. Most shops prefer to prevent Muggles from seeing how the sausage is made.

I have been free for 40 years and
Free.... of?
am lucky enough to have the "green plates" so we don't need to worry about a Ft plate. Thank you for the info.
How were you able to affect transfer of the green plate to your 991? That was - IIRC - disallowed 5 or 6 years ago?
Old 08-15-2018, 04:10 PM
jdonnelly
5th Gear

I have 2 "sets" of green plates, they have always gone from one car to the next. The 991 plates were on a ZR1 until March 2018 and the other set was o na Lexus then on a Macan in 2016. We never had a problem, and never did anything special
Old 08-15-2018, 04:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have 2 "sets" of green plates, they have always gone from one car to the next. The 991 plates were on a ZR1 until March 2018 and the other set was o na Lexus then on a Macan in 2016. We never had a problem, and never did anything special
Interesting. I sure wish I still had a green plate or two. How often do you need to repaint the numbers?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Hi:
Thanks
Scott here at Fabspeed Motorsport. We use a 200 Cell HJS high flow catalytic converters in our exhaust systems. With the 200 Cell HJS cats we can GUARANTEE no check engine lights! Take a look at our 991 Turbo Sport cats, they boost exhaust note, boost performance, all while keeping your Check Engine Light OFF!

Depending on the year of your 991 Turbo, you may have a different design. Take a look at the video below detailing our designs and feel free to reach out regarding forum pricing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mass members with after market cats