Sponsored by: Road Spy

"Warning Spoiler Lost" Error

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default "Warning Spoiler Lost" Error

Was driving the other day and had a warning pop up in red that said "Warning Spoiler Lost" error and it said to adjust speed. I stopped at a gas station to check stuff out thinking I had really lost something, and when I turned the the car back on the error was gone and no issues. I had an appointment anyways for some service on the car and asked my service assistant about it and he said he had heard about it before, but wasn't sure what would cause it. He is having the tech look at it when the do the other service. Has anyone seen this before and know what causes it?

-TJ
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Old 08-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Thank you worf928.

-TJ
Old 08-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Back from the dealer. Will have to get fixed after my trip as it will take them a week at least to get the part. The front spoiler has failed, will not inflate, and needs to be entirely replaced. $4,000 part, but under warranty still so will have it done when I finish my road trip.

-TJ
Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
Back from the dealer. Will have to get fixed after my trip as it will take them a week at least to get the part. The front spoiler has failed, will not inflate, and needs to be entirely replaced. $4,000 part, but under warranty still so will have it done when I finish my road trip.
-TJ
Was it mechanically damaged? Or did it just die? Has the front bumper cover been off?

Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
Was it mechanically damaged? Or did it just die? Has the front bumper cover been off?
Service Assistant said it wasn't physically damaged and the part had failed is what I got in the report. The front bumper hasn't been off since I purchased it, but it may have been prior to me owning it that I don't know about.

-TJ
Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

So interesting update. Last night on our road trip I had to take out some stuff from the frunk and move some of it around looking for a small bag I had put in there. Put everything back in, but not in the same order or place. Today on our road trip, no error reports on our 6+ hours of driving. Is there any chance the hose that inflates the front foil passes through, under the carpet in there some place and it was pinched somehow? Just seems odd.

-TJ
Old 08-07-2018, 02:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is there any chance the hose that inflates the front foil passes through, under the carpet in there some place and it was pinched somehow?
No.

But, that’s why I asked if the front bumper cover had ever been off.

Are you sure that, in your multi-hour drive, you exceeded the spolier activation speed threshold?

Does the front spoiler extend when you activate it manually with the button on the console? Check this with one or both of your Mark I Eyeballs.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:22 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

I have definitely exceeded the speed threshold as we were driving up from Paso Robles to Napa/Sonoma. Plenty times to get way over the speed.

Today driving around Sonoma, we had it function and then also get a failure. I will go out and see if i can get both to extend manually.

-TJ
Old 08-08-2018, 12:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will go out and see if i can get both to extend manually.
Yes. Do cycle them a couple of times. The other thing is to start the car and hit sport+: the wing and air damn should do their thing.

If the wing goes up all the way and the front air damn inflates all the way and you can cycle them a couple of times then you know:
- the mechanical bits work
- your dealer's tech was a lazy bastage and you need to take it to another dealer or request a different tech(*) because replacing the $4k front assembly won't fix the problem
- your issue is the same as mine: the controller has died.

(*) It is always helpful to provide all diagnostic data and observations *directly* to the tech working on your car. This will save time and aggravation.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Checked it and the spoiler failure seems to be intermittent. At first it didn't extend, and then it did. Later after a day of driving it failed to extend.

As luck would have it, the dealer that did the first analysis won't be the one doing the work as I am finally taking the car home (that is part of this drive), so we are forwarding the tech info to the new dealership so they can order the part and fix it. My guess after this is that the failure is intermittent at this point and will need to be replaced. Best part is it is under warranty, so this all should be covered.

-TJ
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whatever happened here?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 PM
fanboy01
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue last week. Was doing some spirited driving and suddenly the red spoiler error message popped up. My speed was just over 125KM/H which should trigger the spoiler to rise a little bit. Then i turned the car to sport+ which should entirely rise the spoiler but i saw from the side mirror it remained unchanged. I parked the car for about 1 hour and restarted it. Surprisingly, error message gone and spoiler worked fine again. I have put another 700km after that day and everything seems fine now. Going to report to the dealer during next service
Old 09-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
Whatever happened here?
I was scheduled to get it replaced under warranty. A week before taking it to the dealer, though, I had an uninsured motorist T-bone me as he was trying to take a left turn out of a driveway. The car is currently waiting for a determination on cost to repair before I move forward.

Pictures here if you want to look: Link

-TJ
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is currently waiting for a determination on cost to repair before I move forward.
Pictures here if you want to look: Link
Oh crap. That’s going to be $60k easy. I see that the current shop is not confidence-inspiring. I would demand that only a Porsche-certified body shop do any work on it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: "Warning Spoiler Lost" Error