991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Trading in my '14 TTS for a Ford Raptor

Old 09-23-2018, 05:04 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a raptor as well! It’s my DD. Absolutely love it. Powerful comfortable and can rub curbs!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Des0t0
Track Day

Have a 14 Turbo in the garage, and a Leadfoot Gray Raptor myself. Pic of the Raptor after wheels/leveling kit
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As the OP, I'm really digging that there are others with the same mindset. I've had the Raptor now for almost two months. I miss my TTS but, surprisingly, I really love this truck! Agree with all the points above! As a 911 owner for most of my adult life, I'm enjoying the "truck" experience while it lasts. You guys that have both really have the best of both worlds.

Thankfully, I still have my modified 993 that can take out and drive at 10/10ths.

Still, in the years to come, I have a suspicion that my TTS will go down in my book as the best overall car I've ever owned.

Last edited by aminewyork; 11-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 AM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Well.... I think the raptor has to go. While I do love this crazy thing for how good of a "truck" it is, its not the best DD when you have to run all over town with small parking spaces. It's 7' width and 19' length gets a little old. So the search starts again for the ultimate DD, for me, at least. I need a one ring that rules them all SUV - luxury, tech, power, utility, looks, etc. Naturally I go back to porsche but nothing's really ticking boxes for me there.
  • Macan GTS/Turbo - the best IMHO, but I already own '17 GTS - wife's car, where she is busy putting 20k+ miles year on that thing!
  • New Cayenne - not really feeling it TBH. Plus loaded up, they are so pricey
  • Pana Sports Tourismo - LOVE & WANT, but 4S/Turbo out of my budget range and I need a bit more room.
  • Audi - SQ5 - great but want a little bigger and Q7 too big
  • Merc AMG GLC/GLE S (coupe) - tempting but need more utility
  • Jag/Maserati/Alfa/BMW/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru - nope
The only thing really working for me is '19 Range Rover Sport V8. Seems to be the ticket though I've been warned I'll spending more time at the dealer than on the road

I welcome any other thoughts? Certainly any comments from current Range Rover owners.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

never owned a range rover, but the reviews regarding reliability are not good, which is why I've never seriously considered one
Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

How much for the Raptor? Are you selling privately or trading in?

if you are leasing, and RR provides loaner cars with pick up and delivery service, then go for it. Beautifully designed interior, strong engine, and can go off-roading nicely if that’s your kinda thing.

I personally drive a B9 Audi SQ5 ad a DD after trying out EVERYTHING. I went for best value for money since I lease my DD due to business reasons. It provided the best bang for buck in my opinion. I suggest you take one for an extended test drive
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
never owned a range rover, but the reviews regarding reliability are not good, which is why I've never seriously considered one
I know. I've been reading everything and polling the known universe for all data on this. Interestingly, the die hard Rover owners have had zero problems, but they seem to be the minority.

Originally Posted by JAM2
How much for the Raptor? Are you selling privately or trading in?

if you are leasing, and RR provides loaner cars with pick up and delivery service, then go for it. Beautifully designed interior, strong engine, and can go off-roading nicely if that’s your kinda thing.

I personally drive a B9 Audi SQ5 ad a DD after trying out EVERYTHING. I went for best value for money since I lease my DD due to business reasons. It provided the best bang for buck in my opinion. I suggest you take one for an extended test drive
I have a verbal deal on trade in but would consider private sale if it could go fast. Mine is perfect condition '17 with PPF all over and Nano ceramic pro + $1500 in baja design fog lights. Anyone is free to DM me, but I'm going to move fast so not planning to post on for sale.

Would only lease RR for sure.

Love the SQ5 - smart choice. One of my closest friends has that exact car as his DD. He loves it.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Cayenne GTS is nice ride for daily...pick up a clean 14, the last of the NA V8s for great exhaust sound....once drove from NJ to Atlanta...89 mph average with mine and it is a solid machine and not too big or small...great DD..
Old 11-08-2018, 11:01 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

before i had fiberglass fenders on my raptor i though it was pretty easy to park, never noticed any issue and the turn radius was plenty, i have a new diesel F150 as well and its a bit easier to park but nothing noticeable in normal parking lots. maybe an SUV is the vehicle for you , if you're constantly parking in tight spots.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by aminewyork
I know. I've been reading everything and polling the known universe for all data on this. Interestingly, the die hard Rover owners have had zero problems, but they seem to be the minority.

I have a verbal deal on trade in but would consider private sale if it could go fast. Mine is perfect condition '17 with PPF all over and Nano ceramic pro + $1500 in baja design fog lights. Anyone is free to DM me, but I'm going to move fast so not planning to post on for sale.

Would only lease RR for sure.

Love the SQ5 - smart choice. One of my closest friends has that exact car as his DD. He loves it.
i had a 2011 Range Rover sc. 120k miles not one issue ever.
They seem to be perfect or horrible. Not much in the middle. After all those miles still super tight no squeaks or rattles
Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Never driven a Raptor. I love the idea behind it and the looks. Is the soft suspension with long suspension travel designed for dunes and jumps, feels to soft esp. for towing and in general for a street driving?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:29 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Raptor is a fun truck to drive daily. Yes, the suspension is setup for off road use with the long travel , Fox shocks and big 17” wheels/tires. While not ideal for towing a big load, the Raptor will tow a boat or car trailer without issue. I tow my 22’ fishing boat all over the place, no sagging at all. If planning to tow a big load you would need a weight distributing hitch , not a big deal.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks. Good to know.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeGT3

i had a 2011 Range Rover sc. 120k miles not one issue ever.
They seem to be perfect or horrible. Not much in the middle. After all those miles still super tight no squeaks or rattles
We have a 16 RRS with the diesel motor. No real issues, something over 30k miles now. We have had the rear wiper take a day off a few times. Always comes back. I don’t think they have the electronics nailed down but we like how quiet, comfy, and capable they are as family and road trip cars. I’ll be using it for short tows with my SPB soon.

We plan to get another Range Rover to replace it when the time comes. Probably the full size model but at this point we just have a three year old so we didn’t need it. Another kid on the way and I hear they just keep growing so eventually we’ll want a bigger vehicle.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What are the specs of your Raptor? Color, mileage options etc?

I know you mentioned an SUV as a DD however if you haven't already go test drive the new 2018+ BMW M5. AWD and sub 3 sec year round performance and comfort. Plus tons of modding potential. A lot of car for the money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading in my '14 TTS for a Ford Raptor